Elephant Mock Charges - When Do You Need To Make A Definitive Decision..?

DOC-404

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Seen some interesting things in the bush in my short 53 years.Some friends and I kicked this question around a bit next to the fire over the week-end.Would like to hear some other views and opinions on Elephant mock charges.

hunting

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
Sweden, USA, Brazil, Mexico.,
Docman i had a few in my 18 years hunting full time. Buffalo, Elephant and lion. The worst was a non wounded male lion at my place. He did charge without any reason for that moment. He stopped at 15 yards growl and put up a hell of a show even scratched the ground with his back feet, flick his tail several times then turn around and walked away, i had him lined-up he was really at the end of my 375's barrel but shooting him was just not on for me. At that moment i was thinking if he go down to jump i will have to shoot but he was in a half sitting standing position all the time, at 15 yards i did not had much to play with. It then turned out that him and another male lion took down two Zebra very close by when i walked up on them. He was just guarding his meal. Well i made it out of the area and saved my skin.
Johan

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Surprised there is only one response in ten years.....

Lets start it up again....

There is a very simple answer however determining that point only comes with experience and time spent around DG...

A charge only becomes a mock charge when it stops....

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Surprised there is only one response in ten years.....

Lets start it up again....

There is a very simple answer however determining that point only comes with experience and time spent around DG...

A charge only becomes a mock charge when it stops....
:A Way To Go: Absolutely brilliant.

AES

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Saw a recent video that cited 10 yards as a typical legal self-defense range accepted by wildlife management folks. 6 yards being must shoot (and kill with a single shot) or, as the video said, be "turned into toe jam."

tigris115

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Are there any pictures or videos that demonstrate the different kinds of charges?

curtism1234

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
The time for a hunter to make a decision is immediately following the ph's first shot or him screaming shoot. There is too much legality and money involved to make that decision on your own. Your life is obvouisly worth more than that, but you hired him to keep you safe (and you better have researched him well in advance of this moment). His judgement is all part of that; he isn't going to stand there quiet and let you get trampled

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Seen some interesting things in the bush in my short 53 years.Some friends and I kicked this question around a bit next to the fire over the week-end.Would like to hear some other views and opinions on Elephant mock charges.

When the PH says shoot, I shoot.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Great video. I would have liked to have known him.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
304hunter

Latest profile posts

I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG