Elephant Imports May Be Back

cbvanb

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Canada
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...sider-elephant-trophy-imports-on-case-by-case

Slipped in under the radar.

Trump to consider elephant trophy imports on 'case-by-case' basis

The Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) announced last week that it will now consider all permits for importing elephant trophies from African nations on a “case-by-case basis," breaking from
President Trump's earlier promises to maintain an Obama-era ban on the practice.

In a formal memorandum issued on Thursday, FWS said it will withdraw its 2017 Endangered Species Act (ESA) findings for trophies of African elephants from Zimbabwe and Zambia, “effective immediately.”

The memo said “the findings are no longer effective for making individual permit determinations for imports of sport-hunted African elephant trophies.”

In its place, FWS will instead “grant or deny permits to import a sport-hunted trophy on a case-by-case basis.”

FWS said it will still consider the information included in the ESA findings, as well as science-based risk assessments of the species’ vulnerability, when evaluating each permit request.

The service also announced it is withdrawing a number of previous ESA findings, which date back to 1995, related to trophies of African elephants, bontebok and lions from multiple African countries.

The decision to withdraw the FWS findings followed a D.C. Circuit Court decision in December that found fault with the initial Obama-era rule, which banned importing elephant hunting trophies from Zimbabwe.

"In response to a recent D.C. Circuit Court's opinion, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is revising its procedure for assessing applications to import certain hunted species. We are withdrawing our countrywide enhancement findings for a range of species across several countries,” a spokesperson for FWS said in a statement. “In their place, the Service intends to make findings for trophy imports on an application-by-application basis.”

A federal appeals court ruled at the end of last year that the Obama administration did not follow the right procedures when it drafted its ban on the imports. The court also said the FWS should have gone through the extensive process of proposing a regulation, inviting public comment and making the regulation final when it made determinations in 2014 and 2015 that elephant trophies cannot be brought into the country.

The agency used the same procedures as the Obama administration for its ESA determination in 2017 that led to reopening African elephant imports to the U.S. in November.

At the time, a FWS spokesperson said the reversal “will enhance the survival of the species in the wild.”

Following the fall announcement to overturn the ban, the Trump administration faced immense backlash, which played a role in leading the president to denounce elephant hunting and promise to re-establish the ban.

Trump in February called the administration’s initial decision to overturn the Obama-era ban “terrible.”

In an interview with British journalist Piers Morgan, Trump said he had decided to officially turn the order around.

“I didn’t want elephants killed and stuffed and have the tusks brought back into this [country] and people can talk all they want about preservation and all of the things that they’re saying where money goes towards ― well, money was going ― in that case, going to a government which was probably taking the money, OK?” Trump said.

Despite the president’s tweets and interviews, however, FWS and the Interior Department remained tight-lipped as to the status of the ban. Numerous requests for information to FWS from The Hill over several months were referred to Interior and left unanswered.

“The president has been very clear in the direction that his administration will go,” the FWS spokesperson said of the new memorandum. “Unfortunately, since aspects of the import permitting program for trophies are the focus of ongoing litigation, the Department is unable to comment about specific next steps at this time."

Nine days before FWS added the reversal to the Federal Register, the Interior Department announced that it was establishing an International Wildlife Conservation Council to "advise the Secretary of the Interior on the benefits that international recreational hunting has on foreign wildlife and habitat conservation."

Interior Department Spokeswoman Heather Swift said Tuesday that Zinke and the President's positions remain unchanged.

"The recent FWS posting on the website does not break any promises. In response to a recent D.C. Circuit Court opinion, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is revising its procedure for assessing applications to import certain hunted species," she said.

The council will hold its first meeting next week on March 16.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's hope on the horizon (y)

The memorandum (linked in the first post above) is very confusing to me. Just what does on a case-by-case basis mean? Does this mean each application must contain documentation sustainability of the species in that area/country? I think we are going to have to learn more before we can conclude whether this is good or not.

The memorandum (linked in the first post above) is very confusing to me. Just what does on a case-by-case basis mean? Does this mean each application must contain documentation sustainability of the species in that area/country? I think we are going to have to learn more before we can conclude whether this is good or not.

And that is the $64,000 question. I suspect SCI will be able to clarify what it all means. But hope is there.

I am very hopeful however, for clarity, I would prefer the SAVES Act

See Fred Gunner's response. I read it the news last night.They are as confused about it as we are. But for obviously different reasons.

In reading the articles available so far, it appears that the DC circuit court ruled that the Obama administration illegally stopped the trophy imports, and they did that partially based on some biased findings provided by US F&W. How that happened is a subject for a different discussion, but essentially without any current findings available to USF&W they have no recourse but to consider the import applications on an individual basis.

There are a lot of "ifs" in this situation, but the good news is a Federal Court has recognized that the ban was put in place illegally, which gives us the momentum. For now the only proper course of action is to return to the situation as it existed before the Obama administration acted, and that situation allowed for imports.

It will be interesting to see if Trump has anything more to say about this, or if he will leave it to the professionals at USF&W to set a reasonable policy. Nobody knows at this point how it all plays out, but I think USF&W wants to allow the imports, and they will find a way to make that happen, at least until another judge tells them they can't do that. I'm not sure it will help elephants at this point. Not many people are going to book a trophy hunt when there is only a possibility of bringing home the trophy.

Just saw this pop up.

BBJZvch.img
© Provided by The Hill

President Trump remains opposed to elephant trophy hunting despite his administration's decision to allow some trophy imports on a "case-by-case basis," the White House said on Wednesday.

"President Trump's position on trophy hunting remains the same," White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said.

Trump had called his administration's initial decision to overturn the Obama-era ban on the practice "terrible." He also referred to elephant trophy hunting as a "horror show."

But last week the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) quietly announced it would weigh big-game trophy permits on a "case-by-case basis," a decision Sanders said was "a response to a court decision impacting how trophy import applications are reviewed."

Sanders would not say whether Trump wants his administration to further curtail trophy imports

Attachments

• BBJZvch.jpg
    BBJZvch.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 191
That didn't take long. He may not like it but he needs to stay out of the issue and let the professionals decide. We'll see how hard he works to reinstate the ban.

The Waffle House is giving up their name. The big white one in DC has taken over the rights.

Typical American Government. Say they will do something "if" but don't lay out any specifics as to how or what or when. This will take another court decision or a direct memorandum from the Oval Office to be resolved. The losers through all this are the outfitters who can't sell "importable" hunts, and the elephants themselves. Hope this is resolved soon.

http://**NOT**PERMITTED**.redpointr...nn-huffington-post-wrong-on-elephant-imports/

ABC News, CNN Huffington Post Wrong on Elephant Imports

John J. Jackson, III, of Conservation Force responds to ABC News, Huffington Post and CNN:

Regarding recent stories by ABC News, Huffington Post and CNN, the media has this all wrong. President Trump has little if anything to do with the legal pleadings, sworn declarations and documents filed in the elephant lawsuit. The defendant Department of Interior and Fish and Wildlife Service had to file response briefs in the SCI/NRA case that overturned the original 2014 suspension. When appealed, the Circuit Court held that the procedure used by FWS when it made a negative enhancement finding and “suspended” the imports in 2014, was invalid. That, incidentally, was the same procedure used since the Endangered Species Act was passed in 1973. The documents filed in court confirm that the defendants are complying with the court holding by withdrawing the negative enhancement finding that SCI/NRA challenged. It simultaneously withdrew the original positive finding that had allowed the imports since 1997 instead of letting it stand and issuing import permits as SCI/NRA is asking the Court to order. The fact FWS has explained to the court and the public on its web what procedure it will now use to make enhancement findings and grant or deny permits is a necessary response to the court. It is not a positive enhancement finding. The positive enhancement findings that were in place before the suspension are withdrawn instead of again issuing import permits because the longstanding procedure is no longer deemed legal. The FWS has declared its new procedure. It remains to be seen what the court accepts and orders. In short, do not read too much into the legal wrangling.

Much more important is the status of the elephant and other game while this court fighting is ongoing in the USA. Zimbabwe has the second largest elephant population in the world and the most up-to-date National Elephant action Management Plan. Most of its elephant are overpopulated. It is home of the renown CAMPFIRE Program with 800,000 families that tolerate elephant because of their participation, income, meat, and many incentives arising from the tourist elephant hunting conservation strategy established by the foremost experts in the world. Zimbabwe is one of the only proven elephant conservation successes. The livelihoods and welfare of those people, including over one million children, is riding on this nonsense. The elephant will not survive without the habitat, local rural incentives, management budget revenue, poaching control and much more that arises from the conservation hunting strategy that has been found to be working for decades by the FWS.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be a tough battle to win. The amount of opposition, even by the so called conservative news organizations, is sad. I would just keep posting as many articles on the poaching problem that has taken place by the dry up of game scout funds provided by hunters. I've linked articles about the lion poaching to news organizations in the states but the emotional b-ll s--t just has taken a toll on any common sense in the US and you never see them in print over here.

http://**NOT**PERMITTED**.redpointr...nn-huffington-post-wrong-on-elephant-imports/

Good find.

This sums up the article. "In short, do not read too much into the legal wrangling."

I wonder why the trump sons have been quiet on this? Haven’t heard a word out of them.

My hope is they’re trying to talk some sense into Dad behind the scenes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tope

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!