RSA Elephant Hunting Quota - Court Grants Interim Suspension

If your PH has connections in Zim he may be able to come up with a backup plan for you.

Interesting. The Kruger area is overrun with elephant. In fact the population far exceeds the carrying capacity of Kruger Park and the beasts come out of the park seeking new areas to feed.
getting money into Africa is easy but getting it back is a whole different story.
Best wishes on getting this sorted out in your favor.
Charlie you are right on all points!

Those Greenies will not be happy until they see Kruger destroyed. Large tracts have been turned into a wasteland by the out of control elephant population. The handful of elephants removed by hunting falls drastically short of the needed reduction in numbers. The elephant birth rate exceeds even what "could" be reasonably culled if an all out culling program was ever started. And culling will not do much if anything to control poaching. If they could only face facts, hunting is the answer, certainly not the problem.

It’s somewhat ironic that one of the few countries the US will allow imports of ivory won’t let you hunt elephant. Back in 2014 I was in a lounge in Johannesburg talking to a guy heading to Zimbabwe to hunt elephant when he got the word about the Obama ivory ban. I was on my way to Mozambique for Buffalo and don’t know the outcome of his hunt but couldn’t been as fun as it would have been without that hanging over his head.

Well, you guys were absolutely correct. My outfitter, after questioning, said this was something that only affected the area(s) he had near Kruger. He said they were meeting again next week and we'll see what comes from that. I'm in a bind as I think this is my last year to get an elephant hunt done and I am going to need my substantial deposit back in order to make that happen, but I now have to wait a week to find out whether I can get my deposit back! I am not happy, to say the least.

Moderator - you might want to change the title of this thread and perhaps move it to another forum.
Sir just to confirm your outfitter is correct I checked with someone who helped me with my elephant hunt years ago. There is not a ban but a HOLD on issuing the permits. Nature conservation Department in South Africa is in a legal issue in the courts. While quota is still with the various outfitters the issuance of the necessary permits are what is on hold. As your outfitter says there is some reason to believe that the situation will be straight out within the next 30 days.
Fingers crossed.

Contact Lloyd Yeatman of Shangani Safaris. Don't book with someone through RSA.

I don’t know one hundred percent but I read something like a week or so ago about a western cape judge blocking the rhino, elephant, and leopard quota.

It might have something to do with that

I have read that zimbabwe wants to sell ivory stock.

There is a court case happening as we speak. There has been no ban. Just a hold has been placed on issue of permits on Elephants.
Hopefully it will be resolved within the next couple of weeks.

If you're trying to shift your hunt to Zim, consider reaching out to Wayne @NYAMAZANA SAFARIS. I would also suggest Dalton and York, but I think they've already sold out their quota... maybe a lucky cancelation? That's how I got my hunt with them.

At this point I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude for a few days.

At this point I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude for a few days.
Seems prudent.

However as you are giving yourself some time... It might be a good idea to sit down with a calander and figure out a contingency plan in case your outfitter does not get his permits. And openly discuss it with your outfitter to make arrangements to get your deposit back. Or alternatively have him come up with a suitable contingency plan.

Think about putting some drop dead final dates on it. And work out just how you would get your money back and exactly what day, if it comes to that. Perhaps work out an escrow for a couple thousand dollars contingent on you getting your tusks, if the hunt takes place elsewhere and there becomes a concern.

You have at least a small amount of leverage now. He cannot today guarantee he can provide the hunt contracted for. Yet you are willing to give him some time. In trade for that patience, ask for a backup plan with a timetable you can live with.

The way these things go is they drag on. More delays, promises, delays, etc. Unless you have a year to wait, I'd get dates locked in that events happen.

There is a court case happening as we speak. There has been no ban. Just a hold has been placed on issue of permits on Elephants.
Hopefully it will be resolved within the next couple of weeks.

You can thank the Humane Society for the lawsuit.

First hearing was March 18, 2022

Interim Judgement issued April 21, 2022

CAPE TOWN—Today, the High Court of the Western Cape granted urgent interim relief pending the judgment of the interim interdict against the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment’s (DFFE) hunting and export quotas for leopard, black rhino and elephants.

The application for the hunting and export quotas was brought by animal protection organisation Humane Society International/Africa, and was based upon HSI/Africa’s argument that the DFFE failed to comply with the consultative process prescribed by the National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act 10 of 2004 (NEMBA) when making the quota decision. HSI/Africa asserts that the relief provided, pending the judgment of the interim interdict, will provide opportunity to fully review the Minister’s Record of Decision by which these quota allocations were made.

The Minister Announced the quota February 25, 2022

Hunting and export quotas for elephant, black rhino and leopard allocated for 2022

25 February 2022

Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment Minister, Ms Barbara Creecy, has confirmed the quotas for the trophy hunting of black rhino, leopard and elephant in South Africa for 2022.
The 2022 quotas for the hunting and export of trophies from these three species is a deferral of the 2021 allocation, which was determined after the end of the hunting season. The deferral grants stakeholders the opportunity to make use of the 2021 quota in 2022. Consultation for the 2023 quota will take place during the course of this year.
The quota for leopard has been set at 10 animals, and is informed by robust data generated through a sophisticated national leopard monitoring programme. Leopard hunts will only be allowed in areas where leopard populations are stable or increasing, and only male leopards seven (7) years of age or older may be hunted. Implementing a strict seven-year age minimum for trophy leopards dramatically reduces the risk of overharvesting.
A total of 10 black rhino may be hunted, and 150 elephants. Only adult male black rhinos will be hunted, and only on conservation management grounds in accordance with a set of strict criteria to ensure that demographic and/or genetic conservation is enhanced (as stipulated in the black rhinoceros Biodiversity Management Plan). The quota for black rhino is based on the national population estimates for black rhino per subspecies, all three of which show an increasing trend at present. Only a very small portion of the overall elephant population is hunted in a year (less than 80 elephant bulls, which is less than 0.3% of the total population). The national elephant herd shows an increasing trend and the quota of 150 is well within sustainable limits.
The quotas will be published in a Notice in accordance with the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) regulations and in terms of the National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act (NEMBA).
South Africa is one of many countries that implement a sustainable off-take of elephants, black rhino and leopard. This is aligned with the best available scientific information on their conservation status and ensures that hunting of these animals does not have a negative impact on the wild populations of these species. Regulated and sustainable hunting is an important conservation tool in South Africa as it incentivizes the private sector and communities to conserve valuable wildlife species and to participate in wildlife-based land uses, ultimately contributing to the conservation of the country’s biodiversity.
Income generated by trophy hunting is especially critical for marginalised and impoverished rural communities.
Through the National Biodiversity Economy Strategy, opportunities are created for direct involvement of communities in conservation and the wildlife economy in rural areas to develop the full value chain of wildlife-based activities that create economies of scale in support of accelerated rural economic development and associated employment and poverty reduction opportunities.
The hunting sector conservatively contributed R1.4 billion to the economy in 2019, excluding the economic contribution to tourism and all hunting and safari-related industries. The income generated by the species fees totalled approximately R1.1 billion, of which approximately R208 million were derived from the trophy hunting of threatened or endangered species. The biodiversity sector employed more than 418 000 people in 2019, which is comparable to mining. It is a sector that is expected to continue to show economic and employment growth in the foreseeable future.
These species are central to a vibrant international hunting industry, and hunting is a part of the South African heritage and culture. This is a sector that generates economic benefits as part of the South African rural economy.
The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), requires South Africa to establish hunting export quotas for the African Elephant, Black Rhino and Leopard. The quotas, which are subject to scientific scrutiny by the Scientific Authority and the public, are also communicated to provincial MECs for environment for implementation.
South Africa’s allowable annual export quota established by the Parties to CITES is 150 Elephants, 150 Leopards and 0.5% of the black rhino population.
The breakdown of the quotas for 2022 are as follows:
10 Leopard, allocated as follows

1. Seven male leopards for Limpopo Province;
(ii) One male leopard for KwaZulu-Natal Province; and
(iii) Two male leopards for North-West Province.
The Scientific Authority has recommended that leopards to be hunted must be seven years of age or older. This is an additional safeguard to ensure that the off-takes are ecologically sustainable.
The norms and standards for the trophy hunting of leopards in South Africa are at the final stages of implementation and are expected to be published soon.
150 Elephant
As per the CITES annual African elephant export quota of 300 tusks from 150 animals for South Africa.
10 Black Rhinoceros
The quota is based on the cautious/conservative quota adopted by CITES in 2018 that aims to (1) promote the expansion of the species’ range in South Africa through incentivizing the keeping and protection of viable populations of black rhinoceroses and to (2) increase/maintain productive population growth rates through the offtake of surplus males.

For media inquiries contact:
Albi Modise
Cell: 083 490 2871

Editor’s note:
South Africa supports the principle of responsible and sustainable use of natural resources. Research has found that trophy hunting creates economic incentives that promote conservation. Trophy hunting also provides a useful wildlife management tool, and is used as a means to remove (mostly) excess males from a population, while revenue is generated at the same time to cover the costs of conservation efforts. Because of this, the amount of land under wildlife has increased considerably in recent years.
It should be noted that trophy hunting is one of the most strictly regulated activities in South Africa. It is regulated at international, national and provincial level simultaneously. At international level, CITES provides a regulatory mechanism to ensure that international trade (in this particular case, the import/ export of hunting trophies) is not detrimental for the survival of a species. It is important to note that CITES does not prohibit the import/ export of hunting trophies of endangered or threatened species, although it may set strict provisions that need to be adhered to, e.g. export quotas.
Most of the species that are hunted in South Africa, are protected in terms of national biodiversity legislation. Currently a permit is required for the hunting of any of these species, and for the export of the trophy.
Fax: 087 807 3748
Email: amodise@dffe.gov.za
Call Centre: 086 111 2468

https://www.dffe.gov.za/mediarelease/creecy_huntingandexportquotas

Well, my upcoming elephant hunt has been canceled by the outfitter, so there must be something to it other than PETA wishful thinking.

Turns out, it's Humane Society International that is responsible for the lawsuit that is currently before the courts in RSA. No ban, just managed an interim order suspending the announced quota.

No idea what the Western Cape High Courts schedule is regarding this matter.

It took a month to issue the interim suspension. So, who knows.

If you're trying to shift your hunt to Zim, consider reaching out to Wayne @NYAMAZANA SAFARIS. I would also suggest Dalton and York, but I think they've already sold out their quota... maybe a lucky cancelation? That's how I got my hunt with them.
I would second this. I hunted with Wayne and he is rock solid.

You can thank the Humane Society for the lawsuit.

First hearing was March 18, 2022

Interim Judgement issued April 21, 2022

CAPE TOWN—Today, the High Court of the Western Cape granted urgent interim relief pending the judgment of the interim interdict against the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment’s (DFFE) hunting and export quotas for leopard, black rhino and elephants.

The application for the hunting and export quotas was brought by animal protection organisation Humane Society International/Africa, and was based upon HSI/Africa’s argument that the DFFE failed to comply with the consultative process prescribed by the National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act 10 of 2004 (NEMBA) when making the quota decision. HSI/Africa asserts that the relief provided, pending the judgment of the interim interdict, will provide opportunity to fully review the Minister’s Record of Decision by which these quota allocations were made.

The Minister Announced the quota February 25, 2022

Hunting and export quotas for elephant, black rhino and leopard allocated for 2022

25 February 2022

Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment Minister, Ms Barbara Creecy, has confirmed the quotas for the trophy hunting of black rhino, leopard and elephant in South Africa for 2022.
The 2022 quotas for the hunting and export of trophies from these three species is a deferral of the 2021 allocation, which was determined after the end of the hunting season. The deferral grants stakeholders the opportunity to make use of the 2021 quota in 2022. Consultation for the 2023 quota will take place during the course of this year.
The quota for leopard has been set at 10 animals, and is informed by robust data generated through a sophisticated national leopard monitoring programme. Leopard hunts will only be allowed in areas where leopard populations are stable or increasing, and only male leopards seven (7) years of age or older may be hunted. Implementing a strict seven-year age minimum for trophy leopards dramatically reduces the risk of overharvesting.
A total of 10 black rhino may be hunted, and 150 elephants. Only adult male black rhinos will be hunted, and only on conservation management grounds in accordance with a set of strict criteria to ensure that demographic and/or genetic conservation is enhanced (as stipulated in the black rhinoceros Biodiversity Management Plan). The quota for black rhino is based on the national population estimates for black rhino per subspecies, all three of which show an increasing trend at present. Only a very small portion of the overall elephant population is hunted in a year (less than 80 elephant bulls, which is less than 0.3% of the total population). The national elephant herd shows an increasing trend and the quota of 150 is well within sustainable limits.
The quotas will be published in a Notice in accordance with the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) regulations and in terms of the National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act (NEMBA).
South Africa is one of many countries that implement a sustainable off-take of elephants, black rhino and leopard. This is aligned with the best available scientific information on their conservation status and ensures that hunting of these animals does not have a negative impact on the wild populations of these species. Regulated and sustainable hunting is an important conservation tool in South Africa as it incentivizes the private sector and communities to conserve valuable wildlife species and to participate in wildlife-based land uses, ultimately contributing to the conservation of the country’s biodiversity.
Income generated by trophy hunting is especially critical for marginalised and impoverished rural communities.
Through the National Biodiversity Economy Strategy, opportunities are created for direct involvement of communities in conservation and the wildlife economy in rural areas to develop the full value chain of wildlife-based activities that create economies of scale in support of accelerated rural economic development and associated employment and poverty reduction opportunities.
The hunting sector conservatively contributed R1.4 billion to the economy in 2019, excluding the economic contribution to tourism and all hunting and safari-related industries. The income generated by the species fees totalled approximately R1.1 billion, of which approximately R208 million were derived from the trophy hunting of threatened or endangered species. The biodiversity sector employed more than 418 000 people in 2019, which is comparable to mining. It is a sector that is expected to continue to show economic and employment growth in the foreseeable future.
These species are central to a vibrant international hunting industry, and hunting is a part of the South African heritage and culture. This is a sector that generates economic benefits as part of the South African rural economy.
The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), requires South Africa to establish hunting export quotas for the African Elephant, Black Rhino and Leopard. The quotas, which are subject to scientific scrutiny by the Scientific Authority and the public, are also communicated to provincial MECs for environment for implementation.
South Africa’s allowable annual export quota established by the Parties to CITES is 150 Elephants, 150 Leopards and 0.5% of the black rhino population.
The breakdown of the quotas for 2022 are as follows:
10 Leopard, allocated as follows

1. Seven male leopards for Limpopo Province;
(ii) One male leopard for KwaZulu-Natal Province; and
(iii) Two male leopards for North-West Province.
The Scientific Authority has recommended that leopards to be hunted must be seven years of age or older. This is an additional safeguard to ensure that the off-takes are ecologically sustainable.
The norms and standards for the trophy hunting of leopards in South Africa are at the final stages of implementation and are expected to be published soon.
150 Elephant
As per the CITES annual African elephant export quota of 300 tusks from 150 animals for South Africa.
10 Black Rhinoceros
The quota is based on the cautious/conservative quota adopted by CITES in 2018 that aims to (1) promote the expansion of the species’ range in South Africa through incentivizing the keeping and protection of viable populations of black rhinoceroses and to (2) increase/maintain productive population growth rates through the offtake of surplus males.

For media inquiries contact:
Albi Modise

Editor’s note:
South Africa supports the principle of responsible and sustainable use of natural resources. Research has found that trophy hunting creates economic incentives that promote conservation. Trophy hunting also provides a useful wildlife management tool, and is used as a means to remove (mostly) excess males from a population, while revenue is generated at the same time to cover the costs of conservation efforts. Because of this, the amount of land under wildlife has increased considerably in recent years.
It should be noted that trophy hunting is one of the most strictly regulated activities in South Africa. It is regulated at international, national and provincial level simultaneously. At international level, CITES provides a regulatory mechanism to ensure that international trade (in this particular case, the import/ export of hunting trophies) is not detrimental for the survival of a species. It is important to note that CITES does not prohibit the import/ export of hunting trophies of endangered or threatened species, although it may set strict provisions that need to be adhered to, e.g. export quotas.
Most of the species that are hunted in South Africa, are protected in terms of national biodiversity legislation. Currently a permit is required for the hunting of any of these species, and for the export of the trophy.
Fax: 087 807 3748
Email: amodise@dffe.gov.za
Call Centre: 086 111 2468

https://www.dffe.gov.za/mediarelease/creecy_huntingandexportquotas
I did not realize that RSA had started issuing leopard permits again! I guess I'm behind the times...

As it stands, still closed. Should be good for 2023.
Just hope if they do open again that they can up the quota since a lot of revenue was lost for 2022 from these animals and they are not getting any younger especially on the Black Rhino.
Imagine one of them dying of age/drought/poacher/lighting/fighting that could have been hunted this year. Big loss.

CITES in Panama, coming up lets hold thumbs it turns a bit more to the hunting side.

Thanks Marius. So this injunction was only for 2022? A new injunction would have to be filed for 2023?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross