Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Patriot Life member Benefactor Level
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
I just got word that certain countries have banned elephant hunting -- including South Africa. Can anybody confirm this? Has there been a thread discussing this? My source seems very reliable.

Well, my upcoming elephant hunt has been canceled by the outfitter, so there must be something to it other than PETA wishful thinking.

I would suspect many other things before thinking elephant hunting is banned from your hunt being canceled, starting with the PH having difficulty obtaining quota or an issue on the specific area to be hunted.

Not currently banned. Some have been getting approved as of late. Just gotta be sure the hunt is documented as contributing to the conservation of the species.

Contact a good import agent and ask questions.

But yes get replicas made. TCI in Bulawayo does it well and can store the real tusks for you. They have a leather division that can make skins into lots of things.

Best of luck and have a great adventure!

Well, my upcoming elephant hunt has been canceled by the outfitter, so there must be something to it other than PETA wishful thinking.
What exactly did your outfitter say when they cancelled your hunt?

If you were a member of SCI and something like this actually happened, you would be immediately informed by email. THere is no talk of banning elephant hunting right now. THe trophy import bans all over the world are the news of the day.
I am sorry about your hunt being cancelled. Hopefully it gets rescheduled.
Regards,
Philip

I did get something from I think SCI that the high court of the Western Cape had stopped elephant, rhino and leopard hunting. Where was your hunt scheduled? Hope you got your deposit back but I have seen some really good deals on elephant hunts on this forum see if you can work one of them into your schedule.

Not currently banned. Some have been getting approved as of late. Just gotta be sure the hunt is documented as contributing to the conservation of the species.

Contact a good import agent and ask questions.

But yes get replicas made. TCI in Bulawayo does it well and can store the real tusks for you. They have a leather division that can make skins into lots of things.

Best of luck and have a great adventure!
I meant to post this to the Elephant Trophies thread regarding Zimbabwe.

May or may not be relevant here....

I just got word that certain countries have banned elephant hunting -- including South Africa. Can anybody confirm this? Has there been a thread discussing this? My source seems very reliable.
My first though is several African governments coordinating anything seems unlikely. One country, sure. But a few somehow organizing and rolling out a ban simultaneously sounds like something that be ignored as nonsense.

I think the info I sited earlier came from the African Hunting Gazette monthly news letter. Just don’t remember.

Well, you guys were absolutely correct. My outfitter, after questioning, said this was something that only affected the area(s) he had near Kruger. He said they were meeting again next week and we'll see what comes from that. I'm in a bind as I think this is my last year to get an elephant hunt done and I am going to need my substantial deposit back in order to make that happen, but I now have to wait a week to find out whether I can get my deposit back! I am not happy, to say the least.

Moderator - you might want to change the title of this thread and perhaps move it to another forum.

Well, you guys were absolutely correct. My outfitter, after questioning, said this was something that only affected the area(s) he had near Kruger. He said they were meeting again next week and we'll see what comes from that. I'm in a bind as I think this is my last year to get an elephant hunt done and I am going to need my substantial deposit back in order to make that happen, but I now have to wait a week to find out whether I can get my deposit back! I am not happy, to say the least.

Moderator - you might want to change the title of this thread and perhaps move it to another forum.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like your outfitter could do a better job of communicating. If I were you I’d ask for a refund now. Things move slowly in Africa. The chance of a resolution in time for your hunt may be slim. Explain that this has left you in a bind and you need to work on a backup plan that requires the deposit. If budget is an issue, look at Zim. If it’s not, see if you can land something in Botswana.

There was a court order which was granted to stop all quotas issued by the minister, I will try and post the link to the article also. I know that some reserves have done their due diligence on their quotas and are trying to get them past, postoak, I know about your hunt and where it would be, I know they are trying to get their hunts to still happen, but unfortunately the rumour currently is true.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like your outfitter could do a better job of communicating. If I were you I’d ask for a refund now. Things move slowly in Africa. The chance of a resolution in time for your hunt may be slim. Explain that this has left you in a bind and you need to work on a backup plan that requires the deposit. If budget is an issue, look at Zim. If it’s not, see if you can land something in Botswana.
I know all parties involved in this instance and its not due to a lack of communication, we are constantly trying to get answers on the issue as it surely affects us too, but the fact remains that it was not intensional, it is merely that we have constant meetings with these people and they also want answers because, you can just imagine, the revenue loss that would have gone towards anti poaching is gone. In the past seven years in this reserve they lost only 1 Rhino, in the past two months already 4 due to cutting back on anti poaching costs.

It is not only those areas that have been affected, no Hunting of elephant, leopard and black rhino in SA

I know all parties involved in this instance and its not due to a lack of communication, we are constantly trying to get answers on the issue as it surely affects us too, but the fact remains that it was not intensional, it is merely that we have constant meetings with these people and they also want answers because, you can just imagine, the revenue loss that would have gone towards anti poaching is gone. In the past seven years in this reserve they lost only 1 Rhino, in the past two months already 4 due to cutting back on anti poaching costs.

Thanks for the clarification. I still think he should ask for his deposit back if his personal situation is such that this is his last year of opportunity for elephant. Your politics being what they are, this could drag out for a long time.

Interesting. The Kruger area is overrun with elephant. In fact the population far exceeds the carrying capacity of Kruger Park and the beasts come out of the park seeking new areas to feed.
getting money into Africa is easy but getting it back is a whole different story.
Best wishes on getting this sorted out in your favor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross