Elephant Hair Bracelet Pictures

That's some very nice ones Simon, are they from RSA or ?

I got one with elephant hair and leopard heads in silver, it's a lucky one... :)

image.jpeg

Mike, I had them made by a lady in Pretoria.

Very nice, but what I noticed most was the tanned buffalo leather on the back of the pedastal mount - Nice Touch!
jes, that leather is from my elephant,as is the tusk and elephant hair bracelets,glad you liked it.had that done on the back of my sable and oryx.was wondering if anybody would notice,good eyesight.

Just some advice on the elephant hair bracelets from curio shops, ask if you can test the hair if real, they can't burn. If they tell you, you can't try burn...generally fake.

@CAustin , nice Charlie, the top bracelet, what did they use to glue hair into the fittings? or is it pressed tightly?

@CAustin , nice Charlie, the top bracelet, what did they use to glue hair into the fittings? or is it pressed tightly?

Not sure how it's done Simon! The fittings do not have visible pressure marks on them.

Here's mine that I've had for a few years. I've always wanted one, but if I waited until I get it from my own elephant, I probably would never have one....

bracelet 1.jpg
bracelet 2.jpg
bracelet 3.jpg

Just some advice on the elephant hair bracelets from curio shops, ask if you can test the hair if real, they can't burn. If they tell you, you can't try burn...generally fake.

Great advice. I have heard the same.... I will tell you that the nicer shops will be reluctant to let you attempt the burn test regardless... Take a very close look at the strands under a loop or magnifier if possible. If they are dull and waxy, they are likely to be real. If they look and feel shiny and perfectly smooth like plastic, they probably are plastic. You will be able to see the color variations in real hair.

Last edited:
The elephant engraving comes from the same lady who did mine. @firehuntfish I battle sometimes to tell the difference, the cos have got real good.

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing beats your own real elephant hair bracelet from your own elephant,how ever,the replicas in precious metals are nice and will probably last longer.unless your retired like i am and dont have to do anything but relax,listen to music,drink good wine,read,have fun with the wife,etc.hee,hee.

I'm dragging this old thread back from the archives.

Anyone has any input on how long real elephant hair bracelets last, when worn every day?

V.

Mine had lasted 6 years so far. Not everyday wear but probably 75% of the time. My lovely bride has claimed mine. I have also seen nice ones made from giraffe tail. Something to think about and easily imported.

I'm dragging this old thread back from the archives.

Anyone has any input on how long real elephant hair bracelets last, when worn every day?

V.

A friend shot an elephant in the 60's. He made a big bracelet. I think he wore it everyday. He died 6-8 years ago. When walking past the casket, he still had it on.

Wouldn't be surprised if you don't have to tuck a loose end back into a knot occasionally.

Coming back to this topic, does anyone have any contacts or addresses of artists in Africa making the more extravagant elephant hair bracelets?

Not looking for precious metals only. There has to be some real hair. With a clasp or something that I could open and close. I have a traditional slip knot one, but it keeps on opening up.

And next to that, would it be possible to have a watch strap made, out of elephant hair?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.