Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Elephant conservationist in Tanzania gunned down by suspected ivory poachers
Published August 18, 2017
Fox News

1503062301413.jpg

Leading conservationist Wayne Lotter, 51, was killed by suspected ivory poachers in Tanzania Wednesday. (PAMS Foundation)

A renowned conservationist who devoted his life to stopping the runaway slaughter of elephants in East Africa has been shot and killed by suspected ivory poachers.

Wayne Lotter, a 51-year-old South African, was killed Wednesday night in Tanzania. His two killers ambushed him in a taxi heading to his hotel in Dar es Salaam.

He had received death threats before the attack, The London Times reported.

Lotter pioneered new tactics that led to the arrest of more than 1,000 wildlife poachers, the jailing of more than 300 and the dismantling of several large-scale trafficking syndicates in the past two years, the paper reported.

He founded a conservation organization, the PAMS Foundation, which helped train thousands of game scouts throughout Tanzania to gather intelligence on poachers.

Azzedine Downes, chief executive of the International Fund for Animal Welfare, said he was “absolutely shocked” by the killing, The Times of London reported.

"He was a larger than life character, seriously committed to ending the slaughter of Africa’s wildlife but with a sense of humor second to none,” Downes said.

Tanzania lost two thirds of its elephant population between 2009 and 2014 because of rampant poaching and wildlife trafficking, which was able to thrive because of government corruption and in some cases complicity, the paper reported.

Lotter rarely took credit for PAMS’ success in helping reduce poaching in Tanzania, The Guardian reported.

“Wayne devoted his life to Africa’s wildlife. From working as a ranger in his native South Africa as a young man to leading the charge against poaching in Tanzania, Wayne cared deeply about the people and animals that populate this world,” PAMS said in a statement. The foundation vowed to continue his work.

Lotter helped fund Tanzania’s National and Transnational Serious Crimes Investigation Unit, which successfully pursued a number of high-profile ivory traffickers, The Washington Post reported.

In 2015, the unit arrested Yang Feng Glan, the so-called “Queen of Ivory” who was charged with smuggling more than 700 elephant tusks out of Africa.

“It is hard to describe the exact feeling, but my stomach still knots every time I see an elephant carcass. I have seen hundreds over the last three years,” Lotter wrote in 2014 for ITV News, according to the paper.

Tanzania authorities are investigating the killing.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/0...-gunned-down-by-suspected-ivory-poachers.html

Attachments

• 1503062301413.jpg
    1503062301413.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 206
This is very sad! This is someone who has devoted themselves to conservation so fearlessly and confronted the criminal element that has taken hold in this part of Africa. What a tragic loss.

My sincere condolences to his family and loved ones.

That is a real shame. A good man gets assassinated for doing great things.

The evil of these poaching rings runs deep.

Sad news, RIP.

Saw that, very sad! Prayers for his family!!!

hope the poachers become food for the maggots.

Very sad news, thoughts and prayers with his family

Sad news and prayers for family and friends. I wonder what the snowflakes on Facebook and other social sites will have to say about this unfortunate action.....

It is a shame and it makes me mad! The criminals of the world fear nothing and will stop at nothing to commit their evil work.
Prayers for him and his family.

What a terrible loss. Deepest condolences to family and friends.
His legacy will live on through the PAMS Foundation, which will hopefully continue to put the screws to wildlife poachers for a very long time.
RIP

Condolences and prayers to family and friends. A grim reminder of the battle that is being waged against the real threat to conservation, the poacher.

Indeed very sad. Condolences to his family and loved ones.

From my understanding PAMS was responsible for a large portion of the ivory poaching arrests the last few years. Many of these were high profile making world news. He evidently stepped on some toes. Here is to hoping that the organization keeps up the good work.

Thoughts and prayers to family and friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois