AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
ONGWEDIVA - A Namibian professional hunter sustained multiple injuries when a young elephant bull attacked him in the Uukwaluudhi Conservancy.

The victim was assisting a German trophy hunter who is licensed to shoot and kill elephants in the conservancy. He is now recovering in hospital.

Dr Shali Iithete from Medi-Park Private Hospital where he was admitted said he was doing well and was transferred to the Roman Catholic Hospital in Windhoek.

“He sustained multiply injuries to his neck and lips,” said Iithete.

The near-fatal attack occurred on Saturday.

The public relations officer in the Ministry of Environment and Tourism, Romeo Muyunda, confirmed the incident but could not provide further details.

Muyunda said the trophy hunter was contracted by the ministry to hunt in Uukwaluudhi Conservancy. At the time he was attacked he was guiding his German client.

A well-placed source in the environment ministry said: “A German hunter who owns a hunting safari company came to Namibia to hunt and was given a permit by the ministry. He was being assisted by a professional hunter to help him identify the best elephant suitable for hunting,” said the source.

The source said the hunters came across a herd of between 20 -30 elephants about 100 meters away but did not check the wind direction.

“The big mistake they made is that they did not check the wind direction because the moment they chose the elephant they wanted to shoot, they were attacked by the beast because they were too close,” the source said.

The elephant was later shot and killed by environmental officials and its meat distributed to the community.

Meanwhile, Muyunda said that no one was arrested in connection with the poaching of four rhinos last week in the same conservancy.

The rhinos had been trans-located to the national park.

Source: New Era

I hope he will fully recover.

I do wish the PH a speedy recovery.

Just when you think you can just walk up close and have a look, on of them decides to take a dislike to you.

Glad to report PH is doing well and discharged from hospital. Suffered broken shoulder, collarbone and fractured all ribs on Rh side both in front and back.

For the record, the group were returning to their vehicle at dusk when attacked by ele cow. PH pushed elderly client into shrub and drew attention to himself. Fired one shot over ele's head which failed to stop her. When he wanted to fire second shot, no bullet loaded into chamber.

Well known European made action with USA barrel, failed to pick-up round from magazine, probably because magazine box to wide and rear end of rounds drop down. Ele faster than PH.

Second PH, client and MET official shot ele, and the rest is history.

Me and friend had the same trouble with the same make of rifle, which was rectified by Namibian gunsmith.

Just a pity about all the hate mail and FB messages that was sent out by the "other side".

Thank you for letting us know the details of the charge and accident. I assumed the whole story was not out.

I trust you will ensure he gets his firearm in for rectification at that same gunsmith.

Please pass along our well wishes.

Thks, will pass message on. Gunsmith busy already to rectify problem.

Prinsloo, thanks for the update. What a way to learn that your rifle does not chamber rounds properly. My best wishes to the PH for a full recovery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristinaD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!