Looks like England is on board now too, but only flights from 6 airports

For UK-bound travellers, it affects all flights coming from:

• Turkey
  • Lebanon
  • Jordan
  • Egypt
  • Tunisia
  • Saudi Arabia
This means it affects 14 airlines including British Airways, EasyJet and Monarch.

Written statement to Parliament

Additional airline security measures on some routes travelling to the UK
Department for Transport and The Rt Hon Chris Grayling MP
Part of:
Transport security and Aviation and airports
First published:
21 March 2017
Delivered on:
21 March 2017
Phones, laptops and tablets larger than 16.0cm x 9.3cm x 1.5cm not allowed in the cabin on flights to the UK from Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Tunisia.

Today the government announced there will be changes to aviation security measures for selected inbound flights to the United Kingdom. The House will be aware that the United States government made a similar announcement earlier today regarding flights to the United States and we have been in close contact with them to fully understand their position.

In conjunction with our international partners and the aviation industry, the UK government keeps aviation security under constant review. The UK has some of the most robust aviation security measures in the world and at all times the safety and security of the public is our primary concern. We will not hesitate to put in place measures we believe are necessary, effective and proportionate.

Under the new arrangements, phones, laptops and tablets larger than:

• length: 16.0cm
  • width: 9.3cm
  • depth: 1.5cm
will not be allowed in the cabin on selected flights to the UK from the countries affected. Most smart phones fall within these limits and will continue to be allowed on board. However, devices larger than these dimensions may not be carried in the cabin. This is in addition to other existing security arrangements. This will apply to inbound flights to the UK from the following locations:

• Turkey
  • Lebanon
  • Egypt
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Jordan
  • Tunisia
Passengers are therefore advised to check online with their airline for further details.

We understand the frustration that these measures may cause and we are working with the aviation industry to minimise any impact. Our top priority will always be to maintain the safety of British nationals. These new measures apply to flights into the UK and we are not currently advising against flying to and from those countries. Those with imminent travel plans should contact their airline for further information. More information can be found on the Department for Transport website and the travelling public should consult the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s travel advice pages on GOV.UK.

I know the House will recognise that we face a constantly evolving threat from terrorism and must respond accordingly to ensure the protection of the public against those who would do us harm. The update we are making to our security measures is an important part of that process.

We remain open for business. People should continue to fly and comply with security procedures.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speec...-measures-on-some-routes-travelling-to-the-uk

Then you will be flying from bad places on lousy airlines, sadly.
The other option mentioned earlier is don't carry a computer and take a cheap camera and leave it.

I have a Leica and I use it to view trail cam memory cards too. Since I already did my 4457 it's not worth buying another camera and doing another 4457. I'll just chance it leaving Harare with it in checked baggage.

I'll post more in a bit of what I've had to do to fly this trip...the new rules are frustrating to say the least!

With the attempted Trump bans and now this, my nose tells me something is up and it's going to cost some people their lives.

I have a Leica and I use it to view trail cam memory cards too. Since I already did my 4457 it's not worth buying another camera and doing another 4457. I'll just chance it leaving Harare with it in checked baggage.

I'll post more in a bit of what I've had to do to fly this trip...the new rules are frustrating to say the least!
Where does Zimbabwe come in your itinerary? Are you traveling through one of the affected countries to the U.S.?

This just might make people learn how to open an old fashioned book again. At least they will still have their smart phone so they can google how to operate it.
I would bet a years wages that @rookhawk hit the nail on the head. That was my first thought also. What is the benifit of it blowing up below deck or in an overhead? Dead is dead after all. From what I've seen, the TSA(and equivalent) are of the same caliber behind the curtain as they are at the gate check.

I remember from your previous posts, that your upcoming trip is to Zimbabwe and you had a hell of time to find the airfare. From what you and others have said in the past, hunting in Zimbabwe is much more difficult to get into, but worth it once you finally arrive. Good luck to you and your gear.....and with the new U.S. requirements upon your return.

Is that something that can go into that gun box? If you're looking at trail can photos, I'm assuming you'd have been hunting

I cannot read the article. It's asking me to subscribe
It's not asking me, see if you can just close that window asking you to subscribe.

It's not asking me, see if you can just close that window asking you to subscribe.
well, I don't know what might have changed, but the second try on the phone was a success. Thanks!

And what's to stops the guy using Bluetooth to activate the bomb in the cargo hold. This is less safe.

Is that something that can go into that gun box? If you're looking at trail can photos, I'm assuming you'd have been hunting

Armygrunt, you don't want to put anything in your gun case other than guns. Many countries really frown on that and it makes for high chances of your guns being seized/delayed because they can't unlock your gun case to inspect and if they break the locks it can't fly.

This trip I just wanted to get to Bulawayo, Zim. Last time I went to Bulawayo I went via Jo'burg and they lost my guns. Don't want that again!

So to enter Zim, the best way from quality and low risk is emirates to Harare. They don't make gun mistakes and they tell you your guns are on the plane as you board. Super great airline security. It also turns out, it's the ONLY way an American can get to Zim with guns somewhat directly because all the Euro carriers have a gun ban with Zim!

Then an overnight in Harare and a 737 flight to Bulawayo on the national domestic airline monopoly, Air Zimbabwe.

If you ignore all this and go to Jo'burg you can go via Delta or SAA but IF your flight from Dulles or JFK is delayed, you go to jail for illegal weapons charges. So you could go emirates from USA to Jo'burg but you can't put guns over 50 pounds on SAA skylink planes from RSA to ZIM and they can't put both flights on the same ticket.

If you land in Jo'burg you need to overnight at Afton House and pay permit fees to Saps and hope your guns make it. If they don't, they usually won't forward andbyour trip is ruined.

So emirates is now the defacto choice to Zim from USA if you want three guns, or direct flights, or no foreign overnights. No other flight in withhout using some Jo'burg route that introduces risk and cost and is an inferior airline with a US connection through gun unfriendly airports in the USA.

I have used my gun case for binos, jacket, soft gun case, all with No problems going into Harare. Twice with Delta as they share with SAA and check your bag through, once with Emirates direct into Harare. I must admit I have always used Lori at Travel express as she navigates the rules ahead of time and knows who plays nice with who.

I have used my gun case for binos, jacket, soft gun case, all with No problems going into Harare. Twice with Delta as they share with SAA and check your bag through, once with Emirates direct into Harare. I must admit I have always used Lori at Travel express as she navigates the rules ahead of time and knows who plays nice with who.

And let's complete the scenario. The new security risk makes them think that "thing" in your gun case is a bomb. What do they do? Bust the locks? They can't open it because it's locked by law. And it's locked by law because it's a gun, because if it was not a gun, you would have been required to use TSA locks they can open. But they can't, because it's a gun, locked with a lock that must be broken to open.

So they break it open and it's just a pair of binos and a bore snake and a GPS and a picture of a naked gorilla that looks like Gene Autry. Now what? Should they go to the store and buy new locks for which you won't have the key? They can't let it fly without locks.

It's pushing your luck to put non-guns in a gun case. It's not supposed to be used as a carry all and it will eventually result in a big problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg