Electronics travel ban to the US

Matt Perchick

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Saw in the news this morning there is a ban on all electronics except cell phones and medical devices in carry on baggage on flights To the US from 10 international airports in the Middle East and North Africa. All other electronics including tablets, laptops and cameras need to be in checked bags. Just a heads up for anyone traveling back home from Southern Africa through one of these airports.

Last edited:
Here is a list of the airports included in the ban

IMG_0544.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm...........CIA/FBI/DHS must have gotten wind of something! (and they ain't sharin' it with the rest of us!:unsure::whistle:

The typical American (if to be on one of these flights) will absolutely go bananas!! I would hate to be sitting next to one them on such a long flight!!!

Looks like England is on board now too, but only flights from 6 airports

Interesting:

Fact Sheet: Aviation Security Enhancements for Select Last Point of Departure Airports with Commercial Flights to the United States

Release Date:
March 21, 2017

Office of Public Affairs

Overview: Change to international travel carry-on items
Evaluated intelligence indicates that terrorist groups continue to target commercial aviation and are aggressively pursuing innovative methods to undertake their attacks, to include smuggling explosive devices in various consumer items. Based on this information, Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly and Transportation Security Administration Acting Administrator Huban Gowadia have determined it is necessary to enhance security procedures for passengers at certain last point of departure airports to the United States.

These enhancements apply to 10 specific airports. The affected overseas airports are: Queen Alia International Airport (AMM), Cairo International Airport (CAI), Ataturk International Airport (IST), King Abdul-Aziz International Airport (JED), King Khalid International Airport (RUH), Kuwait International Airport (KWI), Mohammed V Airport (CMN), Hamad International Airport (DOH), Dubai International Airport (DXB), and Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH).

The aviation security enhancements will include requiring that all personal electronic devices larger than a cell phone or smart phone be placed in checked baggage at 10 airports where flights are departing for the United States.

Impacted International Flights Bound for the United States
These enhanced security measures will only affect flights from 10 of the more than 250 airports that serve as last points of departure to the United States. A small percentage of flights to the United States will be affected, and the exact number of flights will vary on a day to day basis. Airlines will know in advance which flights are affected by these measures

Large Electronic Devices
Electronic devices larger than a cell phone/smart phone will not be allowed to be carried onboard the aircraft in carry-on luggage or other accessible property. Electronic devices that exceed this size limit must be secured in checked luggage. Necessary medical devices will be allowed to remain in a passenger’s possession after they are screened.

The approximate size of a commonly available smartphone is considered to be a guideline for passengers. Examples of large electronic devices that will not be allowed in the cabin on affected flights include, but are not limited to:

• Laptops
  • Tablets
  • E-Readers
  • Cameras
  • Portable DVD players
  • Electronic game units larger than a smartphone
  • Travel printers/scanners
There is no impact on domestic flights in the United States or flights departing the United States. Electronic devices will continue to be allowed on all flights originating in the United States.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/03/21...ncements-select-last-point-departure-airports

The typical American (if to be on one of these flights) will absolutely go bananas!! I would hate to be sitting next to one them on such a long flight!!!

I can see it now.

tantrum-free-clipart-1.jpg

Here it is, plain and simple:

It takes time to clone terrorists hard drives so you can do forensics on it undetected. Only way to get the devices away from the bad guys is to make them check the bag. Thus, there is a guy in the belly of the plane from foreign intelligence cloning hard drives of suspects before the plane lands in the USA so the perp has no idea it has happened.

That's it, that's the story. No other story is plausible as to why it would be done inbound only from the middle east.

Saying its because they can make non-metal undetectable bombs and detonate them in the air is a smokescreen. You're no less dead if the bomb goes off in the checked baggage in the belly of the plane than you are if its detonated as carry on.

Hey, this means fewer bags in the cabin! U.S. airlines will be copying this for a different reason.....to force passengers to pay for more checked bags!!! Overhead bin space problems will cease to exist...

@rookhawk excellent explanation. Now I totally understand why they are doing this. Always learn something on here. (y)

My only problem with this is the fact that my wife absent mindedly left a roll of quarters in a checked bag once and when we got to our destination it of course was gone. So what chance does a several hundred dollar laptop or camera have of making it through?

My only problem with this is the fact that my wife absent mindedly left a roll of quarters in a checked bag once and when we got to our destination it of course was gone. So what chance does a several hundred dollar laptop or camera have of making it through?
That would far be my biggest concern. I normally carry a computer bag on board, but never pull it out. I check everything else. But almost guaranteed some a..hole would steal any electronics. So if you must take a computer, don't fly on these airlines coming from Dubai or Istanbul, and the others of course.

Then there is the fact that cameras don't like hard shocks like when your luggage when dropped. My wife would have a fit having to check her cameras...... At least its not airports that she commonly uses.... Bruce

Hah. Zero. I told my Hunting buddy we have to remember to carry on memory cards as we are never going to see our cameras again departing Harare.

Hah. Zero. I told my Hunting buddy we have to remember to carry on memory cards as we are never going to see our cameras again departing Harare.
Is that the only route you have available, or can you fly to JoBerg and then back to the usa?

RH...What is the cheapest (as in throw away) digital camera you can buy to still may decent pics for a hunter. If it's reasonable then just leave it with the PH or tracker, and just bring back your memory cards.

Is that the only route you have available, or can you fly to JoBerg and then back to the usa?

You could fly through jo'burg where they have a higher murder rate than any other major city and crime abounds. Or you can fly Emirates where they chop your hands off for petty theft in UAE. I'll take sharia thank you!

Issue isn't emirates, issue is getting out of Africa with all your stuff intact.

I would not consider placing my computer or medium priced camera as checked baggage. Never have and not going to start now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois