Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, SCI
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Argentina, New Zealand, Zambia, Mauritius, Zimbabwe
My hunting and shooting partner and I are in the market for some reasonably priced electronic ear buds. Due to sun damage, we need to wear floppy hats and have difficulties wearing bulky regular ear muffs. We do both riffle and shotgun shooting.

Any suggestions on what brand might be good?

Thanks to everybody,

bubba-one
Fort Worth, TX

Do you want to hear with them in?
Just stop the noise?

I have found custom moulded plugs ordered through an audiologist have been the best for what I want them for. $125.00 They fit and with an idiot string attached you may not lose them. (Not electronic though)
classic-nonvented.jpg

Then there are some very pricy options. $2400.00
sportear-microblast-812-bte-hunting-hearing-aid-one-pair-w-accessories-4.gif

http://www.earplugstore.com/sportear-microblast-812.html

Attachments

• classic-nonvented.jpg
    classic-nonvented.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 149
  • sportear-microblast-812-bte-hunting-hearing-aid-one-pair-w-accessories-4.gif
    sportear-microblast-812-bte-hunting-hearing-aid-one-pair-w-accessories-4.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 148
I used the soundgear electronic plugs for hunting. I used them in Africa for the first 3 days of the hunt. I had a brake on the rifle and intended to remove when hunting. My PH said to just leave it on. So I did until I killed my first animal. I took the brake off after that and took the plugs out. They amplify about 10 % of the human voice. Same for wind unfortunately. They are comfortable enough and tames a rifle with a brake on it . They run around $350. Bruce

walkers game ear makes ear buds for shooting prices range widely depending on the quality.

My hunting and shooting partner and I are in the market for some reasonably priced electronic ear buds. Due to sun damage, we need to wear floppy hats and have difficulties wearing bulky regular ear muffs. We do both riffle and shotgun shooting.

Any suggestions on what brand might be good?

Thanks to everybody,

bubba-one
Fort Worth, TX

I'm not sure what you mean by "reasonably priced."

I have custom molded E.A.R., Inc. electronic hearing protectors. I've had them for a few years and as best I remember they cost over $1,000 at the time. They're comfortable to wear all day and are quite effective in cutting down the noise even from a braked 460 S&W Magnum handgun.

You probably have a few thousand infested in rifles and shotguns. It would probably be worth it to invest in decent hearing protection.

For me something I can turn up the volume on is crucial as my hearing sucks already, but need to muffle shot noise as well. I use some cheapo elec muffs I got from a mail order house for about $60. I am going to look into some other options soon though, as muffs can be a bit of a PITA.

I am looking at the Walker Razor X - an ear bud style electronic protection for shooters. Advertised at NRR 31 so they seem good. Although, I have not read anything about their water resistance.

Screenshot_2016-07-17-08-50-37.png

May I be so bold and recommend a supressor- eliminates the need for ear plugs!

omega-asr-mount-1_web_logo_2_1.jpg

Attachments

• omega-asr-mount-1_web_logo_2_1.jpg
    omega-asr-mount-1_web_logo_2_1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 136
A good idea but a couple of problems with that:

1. Unlike the RSA, in the U.S.A. getting a suppressor involves a $200 tax for each suppressor, jumping through hoops getting fingerprinted, getting the approval of local law enforcement and a 6 to 8 month wait for approval from the BATFE.

2. There is one suppressor that I know of made for a shotgun and it's a big, long ugly one. I can't imagine shooting clays with one.

I'm in the USA. I got my suppressors via a trust. The 6 month wait, while annoying, is very worth it once you get your supressor. Regarding the $200 tax stamp, I just budget that as part of the price- just like tax on anything else.

I personally really like silencerco products. They also make the shotgun supressor, called a Salvo I believe.

My audiologist ... who is an academic who CAN'T sell hearing aides ... says that no aide on the market can suppress shooting and improve normal hearing function! I trust her explicitly ... we are planning for a normal hearing aide for normal hearing function and a suppressor for shooting ... when the current hearing gets to that level. I don't have to worry about shooting clays as I don't shoot anything that I can't eat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross