Electrical Storm......

observe

Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SAHGCA [Skilled Hunter qualified-Cum Laude], Handgun Hunters Association of SA, SAGA, Primitive hunting [Spear @ Bow]
Hunted
R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
Around here in the Highveld,if you are out there hunting and a big storm comes up, it can very quickly became a survival situation!
November Pretoria electrical thunderstorm!
Be careful .......

124837053_400831411073953_8611298319616325749_n.jpg

Wow!

Holy moly. No metal poles on the tents over there!

Very cool picture. Wouldn't want to be standing around with a rifle when that storm passed over.

Those systems are impressive and more than a little scary! Been in a few of them and coincidentally one was in Johannesburg about six or seven years ago. I wouldn't doubt the one pictured at Pretoria was forming sprites above it. I think there has been sprite studies from the ISS because they can monitor what is going on top those systems- including sprite formation. I watched a documentary not long ago about those massive electrical storms and that area of South Africa was one of the hotspots for them known around the planet.

Golf anyone?

Was playing a round of golf at Kabwe course in 1994 and one of those brewed up. I was standing under a huge tree for shelter when I remembered it was probably not the place to stand. Walked back to the clubhouse in the rain. Naturally it was the day I forgot my golf umbrella! Caddie was NOT chuffed at all!! He got a bigger tip that day...

Was playing a round of golf at Kabwe course in 1994 and one of those brewed up. I was standing under a huge tree for shelter when I remembered it was probably not the place to stand. Walked back to the clubhouse in the rain. Naturally it was the day I forgot my golf umbrella! Caddie was NOT chuffed at all!! He got a bigger tip that day...
And to think that as kids we used to sit on the front porch--in a metal lawn chair--and watch the lightning.

And to think that as kids we used to sit on the front porch--in a metal lawn chair--and watch the lightning.
Yep did that too. Last time was 2006 when I return to SA from living in the UK. Visiting the Thanbazimbi / Northam area where there is plenty iron ore mining so lightening loves the place. Also decided to move inside when the strikes were getting out of hand....

I read somewhere, many years ago, that the highest strikes per kilometer was somewhere in south of France with Matabeleland second with all those granite kopjies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!