Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
Someone school me on this stuff..

I was given a box of Eldorado Cartridge Corporation (PMC Ammunition) .375 H&H 300gr ammo. It appears that it is loaded with the old Barnes X bullet (predates the TSX).

I can find next to nothing about it online other than as a general rule folks didnt seem too impressed by the Barnes X back when it was in circulation (no matter who loaded it).

Whether its "good" or "bad" ammo, I am certainly not complaining.. Its hard to beat "free" as a price.. a buddy of mine found the box when digging around in his safe.. he knows I have a .375.. and he parted his with .375 a long time ago, so he "gifted" it to me..

I'm just wondering what it might be suitable for.. Based on the limited amount of information I've found on it I think DG is ruled out (not to mention I only have 1 box of it.. so getting zeroed and then having enough to practice with before going on a buff hunt is sort of out of the question)..

I'm just sort of curious as to what I should expect out of it.. whether I should just go enjoy punching 20 holes in paper with it and be done.. or whether I might actually get some decent accuracy and reasonable performance out of it that would make it worth taking on a large/tough animal hunt like a nilgai, moose, or bear..

anyone ever shoot any of this stuff?

The old X bullet would occasionally drop a petal but was still a premium and very capable bullet. I would use it before something like a DGX on almost anything to include a buffalo.

Good to know RL. Thanks for the info.

May use a handful of these check accuracy and adjust zero, then use the rest on the nilgai and/or bison I have been thinking about for 2018 if they will group reasonably well in my Win 70..

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg