Eland Skin

Tucketed

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I still have a report to post but had a question regarding Eland skins. I am doing a Euro on my eland bull and had the skinners skin it out for a flatskin. Question, is it worthwhile to have this tanned? Do the skins make a decent rug? If anyone has done this feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you
Ed

unnamed (34).jpg

My dad kept his on his first trip. I think it’s folded up in garage somewhere now. There just isn’t anything special about it or enough hair to justify the cost. The skulls make very nice euro mounts, especially from a bull like that.

DA02E533-F113-4181-AD6A-0CB47DC2B7C1.jpeg

Not a good pic, but it gives you a sense of the scale. Placed the zebra over it temporarily in order to hand garland on the bannister last Christmas. Liked it, so I’ve left it there.

Don’t have one, but they remind me of cowhide rugs. I would do it. Otherwise maybe get the leather turned into something.

Eland make
Great leather. I have a flat skin in my reloading room and book covers and gun slips made from the leather of another bull.

I had mine tanned as a flat skin. It's a beautiful hide in a light tan color and I'm going to have gun cases made with it.

If you do decide to have it tanned have it tanned in Africa. It will be so much cheaper but still same quality as USA.

Nice GWP!

If you like skins and it's in good shape it will turn out fine. If you are on the fence, you will probably not be blown away.

I did not save the backskin to my buff, I wish I would have after reading some of the guys having boots made with their backskins.

People pay good money for cowhide skins that aren’t nearly as cool as an Eland… I’d get it tanned, especially if you can have it done in Africa for fairly cheap. Worst case you can give it to someone as a gift - just my 2 cents.

I have had all the backskins of the African animals tanned in Africa, kudu, impala, blesbok, gemsbok, wildebeest, hartebeest, warthog, cape buffalo and giraffe hide (hair on) The cost of tanning in Africa is affordable and the quality of work is outstanding. Now if I could just find someone in western Canada to make a pair of boots. I would get it done in Africa if I were you.

Flipper Dude

Love your rug combo. Classy

I had an eland flat skin tanned for a rug and honestly it looked nicer on the animal than the floor. It’s also very big so had to find a place that it can fit in a house or room. It now takes residents in a box in the attic. I had one make in to leather and the quality was brilliant, so if like leather I would go down that route

they really have very little hair on them, especially the bulls. and no real character, colours or patterns
leather or throw away

Nice GWP!

If you like skins and it's in good shape it will turn out fine. If you are on the fence, you will probably not be blown away.

I did not save the backskin to my buff, I wish I would have after reading some of the guys having boots made with their backskins.
I had my buff skin tanned; plans are for a rifle slip/case, and maybe a sling. Ladies I know want handbags :))

Hey, thanks all for your inputs. I will likely go ahead and do it. It will be done in SA so reasonable cost. Flipper I like the Zebra on top of yours. Since all of my floors are not carpeted I can find a bedroom or somewhere to stash it, hopefully.

@ArmyAV8tor , I like the wood plaques in the shape of Namibia. That's cool! (y) (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.