Eland Skin

Tucketed

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I still have a report to post but had a question regarding Eland skins. I am doing a Euro on my eland bull and had the skinners skin it out for a flatskin. Question, is it worthwhile to have this tanned? Do the skins make a decent rug? If anyone has done this feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you
Ed

Tucketed

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
unnamed (34).jpg

375Fox

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
My dad kept his on his first trip. I think it’s folded up in garage somewhere now. There just isn’t anything special about it or enough hair to justify the cost. The skulls make very nice euro mounts, especially from a bull like that.

BourbonTrail

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA (AZ, KY, MO, NM, VA), RSA
Don’t have one, but they remind me of cowhide rugs. I would do it. Otherwise maybe get the leather turned into something.

WAB

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Eland make
Great leather. I have a flat skin in my reloading room and book covers and gun slips made from the leather of another bull.

chashardy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I had mine tanned as a flat skin. It's a beautiful hide in a light tan color and I'm going to have gun cases made with it.

Inline6

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Nice GWP!

If you like skins and it's in good shape it will turn out fine. If you are on the fence, you will probably not be blown away.

I did not save the backskin to my buff, I wish I would have after reading some of the guys having boots made with their backskins.

Cam300

AH senior member
Reaction score
People pay good money for cowhide skins that aren’t nearly as cool as an Eland… I’d get it tanned, especially if you can have it done in Africa for fairly cheap. Worst case you can give it to someone as a gift - just my 2 cents.

Neil Molendyk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,CCFR
Hunted
Alberta Canada,Saskatchewan Canada, Namibia, Limpopo RSA, Eastern Cape RSA
I have had all the backskins of the African animals tanned in Africa, kudu, impala, blesbok, gemsbok, wildebeest, hartebeest, warthog, cape buffalo and giraffe hide (hair on) The cost of tanning in Africa is affordable and the quality of work is outstanding. Now if I could just find someone in western Canada to make a pair of boots. I would get it done in Africa if I were you.

Buffalo1

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Pope & Young Club; DSC; SCI; MS Bowhunters Assoc
Hunted
Flipper Dude

Love your rug combo. Classy

Stalker91

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Hungary, Austria, France, England, Scotland, Ireland
I had an eland flat skin tanned for a rug and honestly it looked nicer on the animal than the floor. It’s also very big so had to find a place that it can fit in a house or room. It now takes residents in a box in the attic. I had one make in to leather and the quality was brilliant, so if like leather I would go down that route

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH elite
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.tallyho.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
SCI, PHASA, SA Wingshooters
they really have very little hair on them, especially the bulls. and no real character, colours or patterns
leather or throw away

geoff rath

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Nice GWP!

If you like skins and it's in good shape it will turn out fine. If you are on the fence, you will probably not be blown away.

I did not save the backskin to my buff, I wish I would have after reading some of the guys having boots made with their backskins.
I had my buff skin tanned; plans are for a rifle slip/case, and maybe a sling. Ladies I know want handbags :))

Tucketed

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hey, thanks all for your inputs. I will likely go ahead and do it. It will be done in SA so reasonable cost. Flipper I like the Zebra on top of yours. Since all of my floors are not carpeted I can find a bedroom or somewhere to stash it, hopefully.

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Eastern Cape & Kalahari), Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
@ArmyAV8tor , I like the wood plaques in the shape of Namibia. That's cool! (y) (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell.ava999

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Nevada Mike wrote on qmrp2567's profile.
375 H&H brass...

I'd like to have them. $125 for the 100 cases, don't want the smashed ones.

I am in Sonoita, AZ

Mike
We cannot wait to share in some amazing adventures with everyone in 2023 again! Please don't hesitate to message us for a quote, customized safari or even just a chat! #HuntBaylySippel
BLJC30 wrote on Tgood1's profile.
I seen a post saying that you do taxidermy in WV. Where are you located in WV and do you have a price list?
I'm going on my first safari in June.
SteveSac wrote on mdwest's profile.
Hey There,

Im looking to book my first African Safari for 2024 for my 40th birthday. I've never hunted Africa before, but was going to head to SA with my wife for a week then see her off and then stay and hunt.

Saw your safari come up as a recommendation and wondering if you had any time to chat.
Thanks!
Steve