Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Here's mud in your eye! :p

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/guns/hottest-new-hunting-cartrdiges-for-2021-and-beyond/

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 11.03.21 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
:E Yawn:

The .300 PRC sounds lucrative . I genuinely wonder how many of these cartridges shall survive in the market for the next 10 years ... And how many shall merely be remembered as passing fads . We used to have a lever rifle caliber , back in our time . It was named , the “ .218 Bee “ . Today , we hardly even hear a whisper about it .

Last edited:
The .300 PRC sounds lucrative . I genuinely wonder how many of these will survive in the market for the next 10 years ... And how many shall merely be remembered as passing fads . We used to have a lever rifle caliber , back in our time . It was named , the “ .218 Bee “ . Today , we hardly even hear a whisper about it .
Just reloaded some .218 Bee the other night, such a cute little guy. Makes you feel like a real penny pincher dumping all of 11 grains of H110 into that case when a guy is used to over 100 grains a throw! But it sure is easier seating a 470 bullet!
5331B1A4-8A15-40B1-A4BE-3C51FFF4CE06.jpeg

I think most of this list is from the department of redundancy department. It could also be a list of cartridges I don’t need.

The Noslers and the Hornadys are relegating the cartridges that came out in the 60's and 70's to the dustbin, especially the belted ones. Go to a gun range and see what the younger hunters are shooting. The two I frequent, they aren't belted mags. Even Savage is making a 28 Nosler with a carbon wrapped barrel. Heavy for caliber bullets and guns with the twists to go with them are the rifles du jour.

What's the reason you can only use straight walled cartridges in some states?......seems bit strange
I live in Ohio. For years all you could use were muzzleloader and shotguns with the old Foster type slugs and eventually straight walled cartridges in handguns. The reasoning being safety. Projectiles with limited range in a densely populated state. The advent of sabots in muzzleloader and rifled shotgun barrels extended the range.
There was always some clamoring for the use of rifles. They eventually permitted rifles in handgun rounds and that morphed into rifles with straight or tapered wall rounds with a minimum of .35 cal. So a .357 magnum on up, including the .458 Lott. The .350 Legend seems to be the new “go to”, mostly in bolt rifles.

Just reloaded some .218 Bee the other night, such a cute little guy. Makes you feel like a real penny pincher dumping all of 11 grains of H110 into that case when a guy is used to over 100 grains a throw! But it sure is easier seating a 470 bullet!
View attachment 354417
I think most of this list is from the department of redundancy department. It could also be a list of cartridges I don’t need.
Ah , excellent cartridge for Chinkara and 4 horned buck . It brings many fond memories to my mind , Bull thrower 338 . Is your rifle a Winchester Model 65 ?

Ah , excellent cartridge for Chinkara and 4 horned buck . It brings many fond memories to my mind , Bull thrower 338 . Is your rifle a Winchester Model 65 ?
Hi Major
I haven’t picked up a Model 65 yet, seems that it is inevitable that I will in the near future. I am actually shooting the .218 in a Thompson Center super 16 contender handgun. Also have a matching 16” barrel in the .17 Ackley Bee which is a necked down and improved bee. Waiting on dies though before I play with it.

I live in Ohio. For years all you could use were muzzleloader and shotguns with the old Foster type slugs and eventually straight walled cartridges in handguns. The reasoning being safety. Projectiles with limited range in a densely populated state. The advent of sabots in muzzleloader and rifled shotgun barrels extended the range.
There was always some clamoring for the use of rifles. They eventually permitted rifles in handgun rounds and that morphed into rifles with straight or tapered wall rounds with a minimum of .35 cal. So a .357 magnum on up, including the .458 Lott. The .350 Legend seems to be the new “go to”, mostly in bolt rifles.
Just to add to your answer, most of these states are also very flat as well. I live just across the border from Ohio in PA where we can use rifles. It’s not uncommon at all for houses to be accidentally shot during rifle season.

The .300 PRC sounds lucrative . I genuinely wonder how many of these cartridges shall survive in the market for the next 10 years ... And how many shall merely be remembered as passing fads . We used to have a lever rifle caliber , back in our time . It was named , the “ .218 Bee “ . Today , we hardly even hear a whisper about it .
I have to wonder the exact same thing every time new cartridges come out. It’s amazing what some good marketing can do for a couple years good examples being Remington ultra mags and WSMs.

Ok thanks

I have to wonder the exact same thing every time new cartridges come out. It’s amazing what some good marketing can do for a couple years good examples being Remington ultra mags and WSMs.
I ha e often wondered why the 8 mm Remington magnum ... Never quite caught on , in terms of popularity ... 375Fox .

I ha e often wondered why the 8 mm Remington magnum ... Never quite caught on , in terms of popularity ... 375Fox .
I would have to say bullet selection. The 338 was loaded with choices, the 8 mm not so much. I have a couple 8 Rem Mags and think it is a wonderful cartridge, absolutely a hammer on elk!

Looking at these rounds, and performance of them. When they are testing to 500 yards. I agree with Red Leg
The .257 Weatherby with a 100 grain TTSX could stop and take a smoke break on the way to a 500 yard target. And have enough energy to get the job done on the size animals it's intended for.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 11.35.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 11.35.54 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 133
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 11.35.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 11.35.56 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 137
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 11.35.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 11.35.49 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 114
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 11.35.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 11.35.51 AM.png
    764.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 11.35.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 11.35.52 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 131
Looking at these rounds, and performance of them. When they are testing to 500 yards. I agree with Red Leg
The .257 Weatherby with a 100 grain TTSX could stop and take a smoke break on the way to a 500 yard target. And have enough energy to get the job done on the size animals it's intended for.

Yeah, if that bullet could find it's way to the kill zone. :LOL: When it comes to accuracy, they shoot minute of paper plate but what the hell, that's good enough for most game animals.

I think a lot of a cartridge’s staying power really depends on the ability to get multiple rifle manufacturers to actually produce the rifle quickly after the cartridge comes out. I really dislike using this example because I think this cartridge has been so overblown, but you can get the 6.5 creedmore from most any rifle manufacturer allowing its popularity to grow. The 375 Ruger’s popularity is always going to be capped because not enough rifle manufacturers actually make it, even though it’s a good cartridge. From what I see the only quality rifle manufacturer to produce it is Ruger not Winchester, Sako, Kimber or other typical go to manufacturers for a dangerous game rifle. I think most people buy for the rifle then choose the cartridge they want from that, not cartridge then rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindiac

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg