Educate me on ZKK-602s please

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I have a line on a zkk-602 in nice condition. I wanted to buy it and hack it to pieces for my 11 year old. I'd be buying it sight unseen so I don't know its weight, etc, etc. Just low-res pictures that indicate safe queen.

Is there any reason structurally that I couldn't hack off some of the stock, drill it out for recoil reducer (or lead weight), etc, etc? Did they have feed issues when new? Did they regulate okay with 300gr softs and solids? Guessing this was USA late 1980s import.

Also, I vaguely remember something odd about CZ and BRNO safeties. This has the side safety. Was this the bass-ackwards model where its safe when forward and ready to fire when safety is back? If so, any issues swapping it to a three position cocking shroud safety like a CZ550 custom?

It also has a very odd straight trigger. Any issues with those? Swap out with a drop-in Timney?

I appreciate any swift replies, I need to decide by tomorrow on this one.

I would suggest a replacement stock to hack up and modify, leaving the original for when your 11 year old grows into it.

Yes the safety is the other way around, I can’t comment on replacements.

The trigger is likely a single set trigger. I quite like the one on a 550, but replacements are available.

I’m not sure regulated would be the term I would use for the open sights, but they will likely be set up for 300Gr loads. Exactly which ones are impossible to say, but my guess would be some kind of soft point.

I’m assuming the price is around $1000, and I don’t think you can go wrong. A “fine” gun it’s not, but strong as all hell. I’m am 90% sure a Lapour safety will fit, not sure about other makers, but I would put money on them working. Buy it, check it out, and worst case scenario is it sells on here in a matter of days.

Last edited:
I’m assuming the price is around $1000, and I don’t think you can go wrong. A “fine” gun it’s not, but strong as all hell. I’m am 90% sure a Lapour safety will fit, not sure about other makers, but I would put money on them working. Buy it, check it out, and worst case scenario is it sells on here in a matter of days.

That was my exact thinking, @Aaron N . Whatever I dump into it as a “youth conversion”, its so cheap I’m sure the next dad will want it on this forum 5 years from now for roughly the same money.

I've owned a few ZKK rifles, and still have two. My comments: the straight single set trigger is NOT replaceable with a Timney since the ZKK has a completely different trigger mount system than most Mausers. There is however an easy to install single non-set curved trigger that each of these rifles was shipped with from factory. You just have to find one. :) Wayne at AHR in the USA could help you with an expensive after market replacement, if you're desperate. I have the single non set trigger in my ZKK 600 30-06 and the set trigger in my ZKK 601 .222. I like them both, but of course use them for different purposes. Try the set trigger "unset" before you decide to change it. There is a bit of weight of pull adjustment available via a tiny screw that is easy to overlook. A schematic diagram might help. You can use the set trigger like a two stage trigger without much fuss, but I realize some shooters don't like a two stage trigger.
The safety is easier to get used to if you aren't biased by years of push to release safeties or have ever used an exposed hammer firearm. The operation is exactly the same as a hammer. No problem unless you are trained to expect something different. The "backwards" comments are way overstated in my opinion. Especially for a young shooter with few bad habits and a youthful, easy learning curve, the safety poses no problem whatsoever.

I actually really like those old straight BRNO single set triggers. They may be a little different, but I advise shooting it a few times before replacing. Actually, just sell the rifle to me please.

@rookhawk The single set trigger on the ZKK rifles is perfectly good when unset. The single set trigger on the CZ 527 is the one that should be thrown in the bin. I have used both.
The idea of having a safety catch that is pushed backwards to safe, came about with the introduction and use of break-action breechloaders with tang mounted safety catches. It was discovered that: when walking around with the action closed and the firearm carried one-handed, the safety catch could be pushed backwards if it brushed against vegetation or the shooter’s clothing. No, that is not a recommended method of carry BUT ‘the world will always create a better idiot’. Gunmakers consequently introduced what I call a backward safety, to protect the idiots and those unfortunate enough to be in their vicinity.
That type of tang safety was adopted for other breechloaders and eventually came to be used on bolt-action rifles. I prefer, as a shooter, a carpenter and as a former sapper; to reference ‘down for safe’ and that continues to be standard practice for machinery, in workshops and on worksites all around the world.
Best of luck with your project and be sure to make your 11 year old work for it!

IMO, the set trigger on them is more for target shooting than hunting. Plus that straight set trigger does take up more space in the trigger guard because its shape and position and its less ergonomic than a single conventional type trigger. The backwards safety, also IMO, is inferior to a Win 70 striker blocking type but finding a gunsmith who knows how to do a Win 70 retrofit to a BRNO 602 is iffy. I think AHR turned that business over to a company in Colorado but I do not know the current status of that.

I think they tend to be very accurate out of the box even though their barreled action screw set up is somewhat unconventional compared to a regular 2 or 3 screw Rem or Win system. To me they seem a modified Mauser type of sorts. For lack of better terms they show a kind of Eastern European flavor of design and engineering. Yes! on the question of if they are a good rifle but they are different, so just be prepared for different. :)

I think at some point the safety was set "right" even before CZ took over, not sure though. The trigger.. well I get along with the set trigger OK, but prefer the curved one, but unless your rifle comes with it, good luck finding one.
A 3 position side safety can be mounted by whoever it is that works on them, I had one on a 7x64 and it worked great.

The BRNO ZKK602 was introduced in 1967 and was discontinued when the Czech Republic ceased to be a communist country . It was offered in:
- .300 Winchester Magnum
- .358 Norma Magnum
- .375 Holland & Holland Magnum
- .458 Winchester Magnum

D282C0F0-06A4-4956-9EAB-36F91D495878.jpeg

Out of all the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum caliber rifles which I have been using in Africa over the years ( provided to me by my White Hunters ) … The BRNO ZKK602 has always been my favorite. It was with one of these rifles that I successfully hunted my first Cape buffalo in Kenya in 1974. They were very common in Africa during the 1970s and 1980s. When different countries of Africa started falling under sanctions during the apartheid era, the Czech Republic was one of the few countries which hadn’t imposed any sanctions on Africa. For this reason, large amounts of BRNO firearms and Sellier & Bellot ammunition were imported into the sanctioned African countries during this era. So far, I have used BRNO ZKK602 rifles ( in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum ) on four of my safaris.

The .375 Holland & Holland Magnum variants have no feeding issues whatsoever and are built to last. Back in the day, my standard Cape buffalo setup was one RWS TUG 300 Gr soft point ( for the initial shot ) and five Remington round nosed steel jacketed 300 Gr FMJ solids in the magazine ( for the follow up shots ). Later I started using Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 300 Gr soft points. The rifles always feed flawlessly with both round nosed bullets and flat nosed bullets.

The same positive comments can’t unfortunately be said of the .458 Winchester Magnum variants. Due to the huge size of the BRNO ZKK602 action ( being suitable for any caliber up to the .500 A Square or .500 Jeffery ) and the relatively petite overall length of the .458 Winchester Magnum round… Feeding problems are quite common in unmodified rifles ( usually due to the rounds sliding around in the magazine during recoil ). The correct way to remedy this problem is to either have a spacer fitted into the rifle or to convert it to .458 Lott, .450 Rigby or .450 Dakota.

The safety of the BRNO ZKK602 is not all that awkward if you have any experience with traditional side by side hammer shotgun.

Zkk BRNO rifles an honest work horse ! My first rifle was a .308 with an average stock. I also have a 7x64 with the urged trigger. On both of these I replaced the stock with a Boyd’s laminate thumbhole. Nothing untoward about the safety on a ZKK. It’s actually very easy ….forward to fire!

Actually, unless its been modified, the Brno ZKK safety is forward for safe, rearwards for fire. The CZ 550 reversed the arrangement. It may be that there were some transitional variants.

1642740830285.png

The Brno arrangement is great in a rifle for on foot hunting. The safety is rocked back as the rifle is thrown to the shoulder. HOWEVER: don't mix and match especially don't do some of your shooting with a CZ550 and some with a Brno 602. That would be a recipe for scrambled muscle memory when it counts the most.

umm, John I believe you meant to type, pull rearward to fire!

My gunsmith has re-worked the original safety on zkk 602, in a way that fire is forward, and safe is aft.
How he has done it, I have no idea. But its doable. Now is "business as usual", "fire" forward.

I have one of the Paul Roberts era built Rigby rifles in 450 rimless that was built using a Brno action. The safety on it works in reverse to the normal 602, mine is push forward to fire.

(I have owned several 375's and all of them were honest hunting rifles, shot and fed well. When I shoot one, on the safety my thoughts are that I am cocking the safety and have never had a problem. I also agree on a new stock to shorten and keep the original as you son grows.

I have several Brnos and CZs. My first thought would be to find a synthetic stock maker and price out a stock have it made to the lop you want now with the thought as your son grows add lop.In 8/9 years put the orginal stock back on and modify that stock for permanence. The folks mentioned above in Co. do Brno/ CZ mods. They bought the buisness from AHR 2 years ago. I think you know Wayne at AHR was the master at upgrading the Br/a CZ.Have the trigger and safety modified by them to replicate the mod 70.I would think that at 11 years of age you have time to get it done.
Take a look at RJ Renner’s website and see what he offers as Rigby clones. There is a CZ on there he mod’d with the mod under neath. He did my CZ 416 Rigby. It was a club of a stock before he worked his craft.
The CZ or Brno is as fine a rifle in the rough as you will fine today send can be upgraded to top of the line. Ugly duckling to swan.
You have a diamond in the rough.

Rookhawk, just buy it while you can. Sort out the details later. IvW swears by the ZKK 602, that is why I bought one a couple of years back. I have the single set trigger model, but as mentioned I only used the set trigger when zeroing the rifle. As mentioned, the Safety is backwards to "our" way of thinking. I know that a three position safety can be installed by Matrix Gunsmithing (AHR's successor) but haven't bothered to do so. If it were me, I'd put a Boyds aftermarket stock on it, they can be ordered with a 12 & 3/4" LOP. That is what I did for my "grandkid's" gun. Please give me a call if you want to talk more about it.

ZKK actions are great I have 4 no feeding issues.
Safety is back for fire, like cocking a hammer can easily be changed to Win 3 pos type....best workhorse rifle and action ever built....
Just buy it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg