Articles
Member of
AfricaHunting.com
Hunted
Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
Edison Tesla Marshall (1894-1967), Author & Big Game Hunter

watermark.php

Edison Tesla Marshall in Indochina, 1931

Edison Marshall was a nationally known author, adventurer & a big game hunter who once told Grit magazine: "I went after the two big prizes, fame and fortune, and I got them both." Born on August 29, 1894, in Rensselaer, Indiana, he moved to Medford in 1907, when his father George Marshall bought into the Rogue Valley orchard boom. Growing up in what is now the South Oakdale Historic District, Marshall nurtured his love of literature through his father's library of classics.

Marshall graduated from Medford Senior High in 1913 and attended the University of Oregon from 1913 to 1916. While a freshman at the university, he sold his first story to Argosy magazine, giving him the confidence to pursue writing as a career. He joined the U.S. Army in 1918 and was stationed at Camp Hancock, Georgia, where he met and married Agnes Sharp Flyth. Together, they moved to Medford within a few blocks of the Marshall family home. Their two children, Edison Jr. and Nancy Silence, were born in Medford.

watermark.php

Edison Tesla Marshall (1894-1967), Author & Big Game Hunter

In 1921, Marshall won the prestigious O. Henry Award for "The Heart of Little Shikara." He also sold stories to pulp magazines and published several adventure books, including The Strength of the Pines (1921), which was set in Oregon, and sometimes wrote under the name of Hall Hunter. Agnes Marshall, who had grown up in the South and black servant and maid, never quite fit into Medford, and in 1926 her homesickness for Georgia prompted the family to move permanently to Augusta.

Throughout the 1930s, Edison Marshall was a regular contributor of serial novels to Good Housekeeping magazine, with his name featured on the covers. He traveled around the world and earned a reputation as a big game hunter and adventurer in search of story material. He lived a quiet rural life in Georgia, claiming that he never read other contemporary authors. In 1941, he returned to novels with the publication of the historical romance Benjamin Blake, a Literary Guild selection and a huge success. Many popular novels followed during the next twenty-plus years—fictional narratives based on historical figures, including The Upstart, Yankee Pasha, Infinite Woman, and Castle in the Swamp. Readers who know local history and names can catch references to his Oregon roots in his writing.

Marshall’s first screen credit was Snowshoe Trail in 1922, followed by four more silent movies and five "talkies" based on his books. Most notable of the movies were the 1942 Son of Fury, based on Benjamin Blake and starring Tyrone Power, and The Vikings in 1958 with Kirk Douglas.

Marshall frequently returned to southern Oregon to visit family and friends, and his visits were highlighted in the social pages of the Medford Mail Tribune. He died on October 30, 1967.

Awards
• O. Henry Award, 1921

Works
• The voice of the pack. Little, Brown, and Company, 1920
• Marshall, Edison, 1921
• The snowshoe trail. A.L. Burt. Marshall, Edison, 1921
• The Strength of the Pines. Little, Brown
• Great Smith. Farrar & Rinehart, 1943
• Yankee Pasha. Farrar, Straus, 1947
• Gypsy sixpence. Farrar, Straus, 1949
• The Upstart. Dell, 1950
• The Infinite Woman. Farrar, Straus, 1950
• Castle in the Swamp. Dell, 1951
• The viking. Farrar, Straus, and Young, 1951
• Bengal tiger: a tale of India. Doubleday, 1952
• Caravan to Xanadu: a novel of Marco Polo. Farrar, Straus and Young, 1953
• American captain. Farrar, Straus & Young, 1954
• Cortez and Marina. Doubleday, 1963
• The lost colony. Doubleday, 1964
• The viking. Dell Pub., 1965
• Caravan to Xanadu. Harper Mass Market Paperbacks, 1972
• Marshall, Edison, 2004
• A Skyline of Spruce. Kessinger Publishing
• The Heart of Little Shikara. Award prize stories. Doubleday, 1922

Monish

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross