Eat what you harvest

JNHall

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa (trip # 2 3/18/2013)
Guys I can't help but feel like a true newbie by asking this, but is it possible to have a cut of meat from your kill taken back and prepared for you and your hunters? Being my first time, I'm not sure what to expect as far as field preparations and the protocol for transporting the animal. I am not planning on taking a mount of any kind, and understand the animal will be taken to feed others, but I just can't shake the desire to eat a piece of the prize.

You will definitely have a opportunity to eat what you kill. Ask the outfitter, when you get to camp or email ahead of time and I'm more than sure they can make meals out of the game you kill. I think, eating your own game, adds to the hunt!

Im confused. Under your user name it says Hunted USA, RSA. Is this your first time hunting Africa, are you there now..? Of course you should and will eat the game, it doesnt all go elsewhere. If the host is only serving up beef and chicken as happened to me once years ago, squeak loudly and get some game on the table! Its fantastic and not to be missed.

Good catch, haven't hunted South Africa yet, but I'll be there in 11 days. I figured I'd forget all about updating my member info within a few days, so for future reference I just filled in that spot. I should put a count-down I suppose!

You are right sestoppelman, one outfitter I stayed with served cheap meals...no matter what. But for the most part PH's and outfitters try to accomodate their clients needs.

As part of the pre-hunt prep your PH should be asking about food preferences, Mine did and I beleive most do. Im sure that saves many headaches and suprises when you arrive.

Hey Jesse Don't be afraid to email the outfit that your going to be hunting with and ask them, I did and my outfitter let me know that for the most part they sell the meat for processing but they keep the best cuts for the meals at the lodge but not all outfitters are the same so send him an Email and ask and to tell you the truth the 38" Gemsbok that I shot tasted as good as he looked, Backstraps Marinated over night grilled to perfection and smothered in sautéed onions.:barmy:

Gemsbuck may be the best table fare of all. If it aint its runnin a close second to what is! Reedbuck is great, nyala, kudu, gazelle, eland of course, impala. Had some springbuck in Namibia that did not impress for whatever reason. Even zebra! One that amazed me was bushpig. In RSA in 09, my PH said we were having it for dinner one night. So I says to him says I, "Great I love ham!" Says he, "Tastes more like beef actually". By golly if it didnt. Tasted just like a good beef roast, I nearly flipped!

JnHall, there are various practices that I was told by the PH's I contacted: "It's yours do what you want!" and they only serve game meat, etc.
Like everyone says, ask the outfit and get the answer beforehand.
I made sure that I am going to be eating what I shoot, no matter where I am hunting. Those Back Straps and tenderloins, on a Braai, mmmmmm...

Be sure to try Eland.....fantastic !

I think every outfitter should serve the hunter what he has shot, otherwise like everyone say, request it. It's part of the hunt, I believe.

Last week a client shot a burchell zebra and requested that it be served, no one was very keen of it, because it's not really known for its meat (the hartmann on the other hand is more known for that), anyway it turned out to be surprisingly very good. A good cook can prepare something good out of anything. Warthog schnitzel is also very good.

Be sure to try Eland.....fantastic !

Oh ya, Eland steak on the open fire. Medium Rare of course. Three times to Africa and I always request Eland. Kudu roast, Impala stew, Mm, Mm Good!

Have a great hunt and absorb the atmosphere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IonaLannin

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!