Easton Aluminum Size To Shaft A Fmj Dg 250?

Dox

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Good Day fellow AH Members,

Hope you all good and Compliments for 2021!
I hope God keeps us all safe and well during these trying times!

I would like to know if anyone could let me know which Easton Aluminum Shaft will fit over the FMJ DG 250 Shaft snuggly without using too much glue , etc.? From my measurements seems like the DG 250 has an OD of 0.292 inches or 7.45mm. The closest I assume would be a 2013 or a 2115. I want to limit the OD to the ferrule of the German Kinetic 210gr I am using.
Can someone who actually footed a FMJ DG 250 let me know which size fits exactly so that not too much is needed to correct arrow spinning if required.
I want to shaft the entire arrow so that the weight gets to 1000gr+

Thanks in advance for the inputs!

I tried this once and couldn’t make it work-maybe you can sort it out. I ended up going with a grizzly stick combo that worked fine-they were very helpful when I reached out to them.
-a couple years ago I went into the local bowshop and asked for a dozen custom xx75’s. They teenager behind the counter laughed out loud and made a loud joke about hunting dinosaurs, loud so his little buddies could hear. They were all having quite a laugh at my expense and old timers still shooting aluminum shafts. (I’m not even all that old!) The owner poked his head out and almost died. He was still busy chewing their butts and explaining that altogether they hadn’t killed as many elk as the old timer had and probably never would when I left. I’ve had alot of pass throughs with big heavy aluminum shafts! Good luck!

Never footed a fmg but footed a victory shaft with a 2117 for the first 1.5 inches for my buffalo and weighted the inside, Grizzly 185 broad head with a steel glue in adapter for a total weight of 315 grains for the head and total arrow of 975. flew good and went through the paper perfect . 22% foc penetrated 23 inches right through the heart.

Thanks for the inputs. I don't think those brand shafts are available in RSA and I have been an Easton shooter for 20 years with no issues. Used the FMJ from the time it came out even before it rebranded as "Axis N-fused" and "5mm FMJ", so I want to stick to the FMJ DG. I will see if I can find a 2117 and try that.

Thanks again chaps!

In reading reviews, there are complaints about the fragile nature of FMJs. Any miner ding is bad if you shoot groups. They also stress in flight and the aluminum is worked by being shot.

I’m an axis guy too and I’m shooting heavy arrows, but haven’t built the beasts you’re working on as of yet. I did notice insert material at three rivers archery to full length sleeve the entire arrow. That appealed to me.

if you review Ashby’s success factors for arrows, he recommends a tapered shaft for 10% more penetration. I’ve not found any that have a 250-260 (or stiffer) spine, but I’d be inclined to tolerate less than 1000gr weight if I could find such an arrow. He states better than 10% more penetration from that factor.

Very interested to read about your build and progress here.

Not to thread jack a bit, but maybe you know the answer on a related arrow. The complaint about FMJ is that they dent so you have a short life. I watched a video on YouTube I cannot find it now!

the guy mentioned a DG arrow that was aluminum in the inside, not outside. This sounds like a great idea. Anyone know who made this?

Not to thread jack a bit, but maybe you know the answer on a related arrow. The complaint about FMJ is that they dent so you have a short life. I watched a video on YouTube I cannot find it now!

the guy mentioned a DG arrow that was aluminum in the inside, not outside. This sounds like a great idea. Anyone know who made this?
Easton makes a carbon wrapped aluminum arrow. they're more of a competition arrow from what I understand. I don't see why they wouldn't work for hunting

I shoot FMJs and don't have any bending issues, and I've hammered them pretty hard when grouping. I believe the bends come from awkward target removal in some cases.

Have a look a the Nexxus arrow systems (Australian but will ship- currently its the rut down under so may a few days to get a reply) they may have what you need in a complete arrow system that is pretty hard to beat.
I did the alloy shaft outsert you are trying to do on an Axis 340 spine using 2014 Easton shafts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross