Eastern Cape Dip and Pack

bandryc

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Hunted
US, Canada
I will be hunting the Eastern Cape this July. Looking for a reputable source to dip and pack.

I would check in to relive taxidermy. They are doing mounts for me know and they do dip/pack.

I would check in to relive taxidermy. They are doing mounts for me know and they do dip/pack.

Plus one.

I have Paul doing my stuff as well.

Hey guys! Stop recommending Paul! He has a lot of work to do already. Especially now that Royal has more going there!

Well ok, I suppose he could squeeze in a dip and pack order? I did see that he had a couple bins full of dip and pack orders there on our visit. Very organized from what I saw.

Bob I told paul the samething I told loodt. Just said remember us little guys when your famous and have all kinds of work. I am just glad I gave them both a try and went with my gut feelings.

We work with Splitting Image who is located in Port Elizabeth and Karoo Taxidermy in Graaff-Reinet. Their work is excellent as told to us by many clients and also, they are great, professional people to work with as they are most accommodating to the process of getting trophies picked up, treated and exported in record time!

Lots of good Dip Pack in the East Cape. They East Cape Area unlike other area's like Limpoppo and West South Africa don't do a soak and re-salt, Just a bug and disinfectant spray, so that to me in my 42 years of experience gives your the best skins to tan here in the states that come out of africa these days.

The Average dip pack from reputable ones doing is it in the neighborhood of 85.00 to 100.00 per trophy horns and cape.
Make sure you know the other UPS on your shipment before you LEAVE AFRICA

Dipping of species regardless of trophy parts $85.00 to 100.00 average
Documentation rate per client for 4+ animals: $210.00
Veterinary Certificate Fee per Hunter: $30.00
Ordinary Game Export Permit Application Fee (PER PERMIT): $35.00

Courier Fee for Export Permit Application:
$30.00

You will have INSURANCE CHARGES on the shipment.

And you will have a crating fee ...usually a percentage of the dip pack bill 10% is the average
Watch for added Packing charges....
Watch for added packing charges for curio's if you send them with your trophies...
Watch for way overpriced and overvalued insurance charges.

My last 2 lions skins shipped to me they wanted to insure them for $150,000.00
I told them insure them for the 25,000 it cost me for my hunt.
I then paid $250 for my insurance of my shipment to my broker's door , not the $1,500.00 they wanted to charge me.

AND GET Quotes from different shipping companies when your crate is sized and weighed!!!
You should not HAVE TO ship with whom they recommend
Just like anything else , you Compare shipping charges
They all have to fly out of South Africa on a plane have them find 3 quotes for you.

Karoo Taxidermy will never touch another trophy I take at Blaauwkrantz. (Old story.) I'll use the Peacocks in Humansdorp if they are around next safari (Taxidermy Africa).

I just received some things from Hunters and Collectors in Port Elizabeth.
My taxidermist asked me to do Dip/Pak on the capes so his tannery in Carolina could do them to his liking.
I've not received those yet.

But, I had H/C do my backskins and a couple other things form me.
So the backskins and the horns/skulls arrived at my taxidermist yesterday.

My taxi said the horns/skulls are the cleanest and prettiest he's seen from Africa.
Also, the backskins were tanned very well. They look and feel great.
The taxi said they were very good in quality also.

The price, I suppose, was in line, maybe a little high. Some a little more and some less than what Dennis mentioned above.
Caracal- $95 for skull and full mount cape d/p
Zebra Cape (no skull) was $35
Tanned Zebra backskin- $198

Springbuck, Impala, Buskbuck, Blesbuck were all $95 for skull and cape d/p
Duiker was $75 for skull/cape

But.....
Black Wilderbeest was $190 for skull/cape d/p
Gemsbuck was $160 for skull/cape
Nyala was $140 for skull/cape

I bought some extra full skins of springbucks, some kudu horns to build a chandelier, etc.
I also had a bunck of backsins tanned.
the crate/pack was a flat 15% and came in at $327.
My documentation for 11 animals was $320 (included 1 cites animal and something about the Black Wilderbeest)

the $320 for documentation and the $327 for the crate/pack are the only charges other than the dip/pack itself.

Although I've not seen the dip/pack capes yet, I would recommend them very favorably based on the condition of the skulls, horns, backskins, and the packaging.
The feel of the tanned backskins are lightyears better than the feel of the crappy work that Wild Africa did 3 or 4 years ago.

I will update if the capes are a disappointment.

I am also using Hunters & Collectors as my dip and pack out of Port Elizabeth. The capes and horns were dropped off to them at the end of May and Kevin said that they would ship out in July. Well, I also had them do some extra work and around Aug 20 I was notified that the crate is ready for shipping by Tara at SSI. I got the check off the SSI and am now waiting to hear that the crate has been shipped. From what I have heard this is a fairly quick turn around from drop off to shipping, so my skins, horns, and skulls should be in in the US in the next couple of weeks and then a short time later it will be in the hands of my taxidermist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunters and Collectors capes and lifesize skins tan out very good for me.
Never had an issue with that unless it was a skinning one in camp. Not turning ears or lips on them, But that's the PH's responsibility.
THE ONLY issue I ever has and it was recent was they sent a client's trophies crate with in all 23 skins and horns .............BUT I got no skull or skull plates Just a bunch of loose sets of horns I have to make repo skulls to mount them and hold the horns.
That one ticked me off a lot.

Yes Brick. I didn't get one skull....I'm not knocking their prep and dip pack, Their skin tan nicely for me but it's senseless to try to get the skulls ...It's NEVER going to happen, to much paperwork in SA to get anything out after the shipment leaves they would have to pay and show trophy fees again paid and the Document cost and work again. Just been a pain my *ss on this shipment It's not the norm I get from them but this one someone dropped a big one on me and my client.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.