Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA, CWM
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
I have been meaning to provide an update of the completed East Cape hunt trophies from my 2016 with KMG Hunting Safaris which I was pleased to received earlier this year. It was my first African hunt and although I did some research on taxidermy options, realistically I was relying on the Safari Operators recommendations to a large degree.

My biggest fear of the trip without a doubt was to go to the effort and expense of such a hunting adventure, only to have the trophies either ruined or not received at all. I obtained some quotes before leaving on the trip, and got some welcomed feedback from forum members as well. With no option for dip and pack I decided I would go with the competed mounts option opposed to treated capes and skulls. Reasoning being I had no close by local preferred taxidermist in Australia, cost comparisons of two options I thought were negligible, and preferred the work to be done in the country of origin of the hunt, perhaps a bit naive but sounded good at the time.

Well as history has it we had a memorable hunting experience with Marius and his team. On the way to the airport we stopped in at the taxidermist workshop to view his teams work and it all looked pretty good to my novice eyes. After the long journey home the worry of how my mounts were being treated started and continued for the next 10 Months, stomach ulcers for sure..

Thankfully my regular emails on how the work was progressing, always received prompt and courteous replies, communications were excellent. When the Taxidermist advised me my trophies were ready for shipment I requested photos of the finish work so I could be confident they were my trophies before freighting to Aus. I received a prompt reply with photos of all mounts, they looked great, and clearly all my animals. Shipping from the Taxidermist to Aus went smoothly but at considerable expense. Someone wrote on the forum once, take your safari costs and times by three, this is a fairly accurate cost assumption for the complete package including travel and trophy mounting and handling.

My trophies were received about 10 months later as originally advised. They were well packed in a solid timber box with mounts and bags of horns hanging from the crate side walls, impressive packing and no signs of transit damage. The packing was so good it took me a couple of hours to dismantle the crate and free the contents. My initial thoughts were firstly of relief that everything appeared to be accounted for and intact. I was very pleased with the quality of the work even while still in pieces. I spent the next couple of weeks piecing the trophies together, hanging and arranging. My final thoughts on the quality of my trophies was complete satisfaction. I am by no means an expert and I am sure the critics could find some faults but I was very happy with the results and the representation of my trophies, which were mounted exactly as I had asked. The full mount Steenbok is the pick of them for me, just catches my eye every time I am in the cave, reminds me of my final day of hunting and my best shot for the trip.

I can’t thank Kevin Boucher and his team from Hunters and Collectors Taxidermy, Port Elizabeth, enough for their excellent service. My heart goes out to those forum members who have had less than acceptable results from their taxidermist services but I just thought it was equally important to report when things go well.
Cheers, Mark

DSCF1672.JPG

DSCF1673.JPG

DSCF1880.JPG

DSCF1893.JPG

DSCF1886.JPG

DSCF1676.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on some beautiful trophies! I also had a very pleasant experience with Hunters and Collectors. Some of the reports we get on other taxidermists are just gut wrenching, for sure.

That bush pig is one furry dude! And, your Impala has such a gorgeous hue, I underestimated those as trophies. Nice.(y)(y)

Congrats on getting them back and on the wall!! Now time to enjoy!!

You have a beautiful well done collection of trophies sir! I can see why you are so happy and relieved!
Enjoy!

Congrats on getting them home...it's great to see that Dolly Parton set of horns up on the wall!!! ;)

Your trophies look very good. Congrats on your hunt.

Congrats on getting your trophies home, they look good. Mine arrived from the eastern cape a couple of weeks ago and I am happy to say that although I used a different taxidermist my experience with communication and quality of trophies was very similar to yours. Glad you are happy and now it is time to enjoy them and relive that first safari each time you look at them.

Reason to be happy!

Thanks for reporting the good news.

Congrats. I like that Bushbuck mount.

Excellent...Now enjoy for a lifetime the fabulous memories.

Congrats! You took some great animals and the taxidermist seems to have done very nice work.

Mark, your trophies look fantastic. Glad you have them home and now the memories come back everytime you look at them. The steenbok full mount is great.

Well done neighbour .
They look great , you took some pretty awesome animals for sure .
Ive never been a fan on Oryx shoulder mounts for some silly reason .
Had all my oryx done as skull mounts and love them .
But yours has turned out really good , I love it .
Cheers Dory .

Hi Mark
Glad to see they all arrived safe and looking great, Hope mine will be just as good when they arrive.
Thanks Richard

Looking good. Glad your happy and shared the pictures.

Congrats, very nice trophies !

Congrats mate, glad to see you had a positive experience and great outcome. Nice trophies, that Gemsbok mount is the pick for me

Cheers
Tim

It's expensive but fun to get that crate home, congrats!

I have been meaning to provide an update of the completed East Cape hunt trophies from my 2016 with KMG Hunting Safaris which I was pleased to received earlier this year. It was my first African hunt and although I did some research on taxidermy options, realistically I was relying on the Safari Operators recommendations to a large degree.

My biggest fear of the trip without a doubt was to go to the effort and expense of such a hunting adventure, only to have the trophies either ruined or not received at all. I obtained some quotes before leaving on the trip, and got some welcomed feedback from forum members as well. With no option for dip and pack I decided I would go with the competed mounts option opposed to treated capes and skulls. Reasoning being I had no close by local preferred taxidermist in Australia, cost comparisons of two options I thought were negligible, and preferred the work to be done in the country of origin of the hunt, perhaps a bit naive but sounded good at the time.

Well as history has it we had a memorable hunting experience with Marius and his team. On the way to the airport we stopped in at the taxidermist workshop to view his teams work and it all looked pretty good to my novice eyes. After the long journey home the worry of how my mounts were being treated started and continued for the next 10 Months, stomach ulcers for sure..

Thankfully my regular emails on how the work was progressing, always received prompt and courteous replies, communications were excellent. When the Taxidermist advised me my trophies were ready for shipment I requested photos of the finish work so I could be confident they were my trophies before freighting to Aus. I received a prompt reply with photos of all mounts, they looked great, and clearly all my animals. Shipping from the Taxidermist to Aus went smoothly but at considerable expense. Someone wrote on the forum once, take your safari costs and times by three, this is a fairly accurate cost assumption for the complete package including travel and trophy mounting and handling.

My trophies were received about 10 months later as originally advised. They were well packed in a solid timber box with mounts and bags of horns hanging from the crate side walls, impressive packing and no signs of transit damage. The packing was so good it took me a couple of hours to dismantle the crate and free the contents. My initial thoughts were firstly of relief that everything appeared to be accounted for and intact. I was very pleased with the quality of the work even while still in pieces. I spent the next couple of weeks piecing the trophies together, hanging and arranging. My final thoughts on the quality of my trophies was complete satisfaction. I am by no means an expert and I am sure the critics could find some faults but I was very happy with the results and the representation of my trophies, which were mounted exactly as I had asked. The full mount Steenbok is the pick of them for me, just catches my eye every time I am in the cave, reminds me of my final day of hunting and my best shot for the trip.

I can’t thank Kevin Boucher and his team from Hunters and Collectors Taxidermy, Port Elizabeth, enough for their excellent service. My heart goes out to those forum members who have had less than acceptable results from their taxidermist services but I just thought it was equally important to report when things go well.
Cheers, Mark

View attachment 208460

View attachment 208461

View attachment 208462

View attachment 208466

View attachment 208467

View attachment 208468

Congrats on a great looking group of trophies. I was wondering if you could tell me the measurement from the bottom of the mount to the tip of the horns on the Kudu and Nyala? I am planning for my own trophies at this time.

Thanks in advance.

Great mounts Mark! Looks like Marius steered us in the right direction using H and C to handle our stuff. Dennis should be starting on mine real soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross