SkullKeeper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Tanzania, Zambia
I’m guessing that each click mark on the dial is 1/4 inch adjustment at 100 yards - is this correct for this model scope ? Thank you
1F8F0777-BBE3-4346-A985-1776F9756AAC.jpeg

I always figured those old friction hash marks were 1 moa each, but I’m not sure. If they are the turrets I think they are, there are no clicks. They can be very touchy when trying to make fine corrections, so I’m going with 1 moa until corrected.

The M8 was in production for decades. They had numerous updates through the years.

At least some later models were click although to the best of my recollection they were 1/2 MOA.

Last edited:
The M8 was in production for decades. They had numerous updates through the years.

At least some later models were click although to the best of my recollection they were 1/2 MOA.
This scope doesn’t click , if that helps any

So why not just cut to the chase and go straight to the source?

Call Leupold, 1-800-LEUPOLD and get the information straight from the manufacturer. They are pretty helpful and responsive folks from my experience.

Call Leupold, 1-800-LEUPOLD and get the information straight from the manufacturer. They are pretty helpful and responsive folks from my experience.
Thank you for the number
My next day off is Monday - I will call them then.

I took the turret cap off my M8 3x, the prior owner wrote 1” on a sticky inside the cap. They are the friction turrets. It’s old enough the scope is getting that purple haze older Leopold’s get. He is gun savvy so am guessing at least he thought each hash was approx. 1“. Curious to hear what Leupold tells you.

I took the turret cap off my M8 3x, the prior owner wrote 1” on a sticky inside the cap. They are the friction turrets. It’s old enough the scope is getting that purple haze older Leopold’s get. He is gun savvy so am guessing at least he thought each hash was approx. 1“. Curious to hear what Leupold tells you.
10-4 I’ll let you know

As I recall Leupold said 1". I seem to recall 5 marks being 3" on mine, so around 0.6" per mark in actuality on my 4x.

As I recall Leupold said 1". I seem to recall 5 marks being 3" on mine, so around 0.6" per mark in actuality on my 4x.
Thank you sir - I’ll be on the standing bench this evening doing some experiments

i have several of the older leupolds and i just shoot them on targets with one inch squares to find out, but after sighted in the rearly do i mess with them.

DSCN0858.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got off the phone with Leupold - you we’re correct ....each hash mark is 1 MOA

Just got off the phone with Leupold - you we’re correct ....each hash mark is 1 MOA

Leupold said each hash mark is 1 MOA

Leupold said each hash mark is 1 MOA
Glad to hear that the good folks out in Beaver Town weren't out Antifa rioting and had time to answer the phone and you got your answer!

Got it dialed in best I could. And yes indeed hash mark was 1” @100yards
9E89CCED-EC69-4E71-A0A6-2B98B6F4E793.jpeg

Got it dialed in best I could. And yes indeed hash mark was 1” @100yards

Your post made me consider getting out my old M8 out and using it.

I discussed with Leupold the possibilty of replacing the seals and refilling with nitrogen/argon gas and they stated the service would be free of charge and they would do an internal and external mechanical inspection for any worn parts at the same time.

I hadn't really expected that since the scope was still working perfectly at the time of replacement. I was just concerned about the old seals.

Your post made me consider getting out my old M8 out and using it.

I discussed with Leupold the possibilty of replacing the seals and refilling with nitrogen/argon gas and they stated the service would be free of charge and they would do an internal and external mechanical inspection for any worn parts at the same time.

I hadn't really expected that since the scope was still working perfectly at the time of replacement. I was just concerned about the old seals.
I would like to check on getting a new reticle installed. This one is a heavy duplex and at 100 yards with it being only 3 power the crosshairs cover about a 2.5 inch to 3 inch area ... not exactly crocodile brain accuracy expected (at least not from me). I would much rather have a German #4 (or A2 If they offered it)

I would like to check on getting a new reticle installed. This one is a heavy duplex and at 100 yards with it being only 3 power the crosshairs cover about a 2.5 inch to 3 inch area ... not exactly crocodile brain accuracy expected (at least not from me). I would much rather have a German #4 (or A2 If they offered it)

I believe a reticle change along with a reset of parallax from 150 to 60 yards was $100 last time I discussed it with them (that's been a few years and wouldn't be surprised if 50-100% more now) . Might be worth checking, I'm not sure it's actually worthwhile considering the current value of an M8 but it might be a consideration if other new options that you would consider are a lot more expensive . Last I heard they offered 8 different reticles.

I believe a reticle change along with a reset of parallax from 150 to 60 yards was $100 last time I discussed it with them (that's been a few years and wouldn't be surprised if 50-100% more now) . Might be worth checking, I'm not sure it's actually worthwhile considering the current value of an M8 but it might be a consideration if other new options that you would consider are a lot more expensive . Last I heard they offered 8 different reticles.
Honestly doubt it would be worth the money at +100 dollars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg