Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I have been attempting to find out more about calling Duiker.
Red Duiker, Blue Duiker, etc.

What calls do people use for these little guys?

Manufacturer / Make / Model

Where can I buy one?

After sneaking around in the bush after these little guys I am having some serious thoughts about attempting to go after them again in a serious way.

Any help!?

Look for one at the local village or practice at home for your next hunt! They both seems to be using the nostril technique!

Last edited by a moderator:
Brickburn,
Any distress call will work. Quite often when I'm calling for Black Back Jackal, I have Common Duiker coming into the call. I have had a Mountain Reedbuck come charging in as well. He was the closest to me making a mistake.

Just pack a Foxpro. It will get the job done. Anything like your snowshoe rabbit will do the job.

Brickburn,
Any distress call will work. Quite often when I'm calling for Black Back Jackal, I have Common Duiker coming into the call. I have had a Mountain Reedbuck come charging in as well. He was the closest to me making a mistake.

Just pack a Foxpro. It will get the job done. Anything like your snowshoe rabbit will do the job.

It has to be more complicated than that Marius. That is too easy as solution. :)

I could imagine that a Mtn Reedbucks horns would not be something you want to see the business end of.

So, I found this apparent use of a distress call being used for Klipspringer hunting. This does not sound like a rabbit distress call to me.
Is this what you are referring to?

Klipspringer Hunt - YouTube

Well, personally, I would not use a mouth call like that. The guy in the clip is merely blowing on the mouthpiece to make a noise, rather than mimic a distress. It worked, so who am I to judge his style...haha.

Keep in mind that when I am sitting for Jackal, I'm ready to be patient, so there is lots of time for Duiker to come in. I would not say that it worked every time, but it has happened on a couple of occasions that Duiker has come in.
The Mountain Reedbuck was in more danger than me. When calling for predators at night, we use a rheostat to dim the spotlight on any advancing animals. It puts them more at ease to come closer, than having a couple of million candlepower burning the fur off their coats. So, once we pick up the eyes, you dim the light right down, just until when you look through your scope, all you see is the eyes of the advancing animal. So, you can imagine me being focused on these two eyes coming in at a speed, and my surprise when I turned the light up to get the animal to stop and realizing that it was a Mtn Reedbuck rather than a dog...

Well, personally, I would not use a mouth call like that. The guy in the clip is merely blowing on the mouthpiece to make a noise, rather than mimic a distress. It worked, so who am I to judge his style...haha.

Keep in mind that when I am sitting for Jackal, I'm ready to be patient, so there is lots of time for Duiker to come in. I would not say that it worked every time, but it has happened on a couple of occasions that Duiker has come in.
The Mountain Reedbuck was in more danger than me. When calling for predators at night, we use a rheostat to dim the spotlight on any advancing animals. It puts them more at ease to come closer, than having a couple of million candlepower burning the fur off their coats. So, once we pick up the eyes, you dim the light right down, just until when you look through your scope, all you see is the eyes of the advancing animal. So, you can imagine me being focused on these two eyes coming in at a speed, and my surprise when I turned the light up to get the animal to stop and realizing that it was a Mtn Reedbuck rather than a dog...

Totally different being able to shoot at night. Different skill set for sure.

This video showed a "technique" that seemed to be about making noise and seeing if anything was curious enough to come and look. Thanks for confirming that.

I was trying to figure out if anyone tried to use a specific tone for different little guys that made them come in.

I had seen a video, I can not find it again, of a Klipspringer coming in to a sound made by a child's "squeaky toy" being blown.
The guys were in the rocks along a path and the Klipspringer just about hit them/stepped on them as it ran down the path. It stood close by in surprise and then departed.
Close encounters.

Brickburn,

Brickburn
Marius is spot on.
I have also called in both Mt. Reedbuck an duikers with a distress call. I used a mouth call late afternoon for black back jackals and had them charging in.

Never done it in blue duiker though.
We've taken all ours with dogs or beaters.
Good luck though, something to try

Thanks for the feedback.
I grabbed a couple of closed end mouth calls.
The pair are able to do everything from a mouse squeak to a screaming jack rabbit.
I have a little time to practice...

I use and always carry a small critter call. Works very well calling in Duiker, just be aware that it will also attract predators such as lion, leopard, hyena, jackal and bushpig...they can come in very fast and unexpectedly sometimes so always be ready.

I also use this call to stop a walking animal rather than whistle which on some species rather have them bolt or run off instead of stopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross