Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
US, Canada, RSA (Limpopo, Eastern Cape), Zimbabwe (Omay North X 2, Dande Safari Area, Dande East), Botswana
I'm sure many cursed the early date of the DSC Convention this year, but it allowed me to bring my entire family because my kids were still on Christmas break. This is the first year my family has been able to attend, and they had a blast!

While some exhibitors chose not to give us the time of day because we had three children in tow, others saw the next generation of hunters and conservationist and engaged our gang. By the time we left, all three insisted on DSC clothing and they're still reading the various advertisements they collected as I type this.

Kids are often very perceptive. My two boys were very imressed with Ivan Carter and his efforts to engage both and encourage the "conservation through hunting" theme. My youngest son, Hunter (in the picture with Ivan), is booked for his first elephant hunt in 2014. Although the hunt is not with Ivan or one of his "affiliates", he took the time to explain what his choice would be for an appropriate caliber based on Hunter's build and age. My oldest son and I attended Ivan's seminar on Friday, and he took the time to engage us personally while setting up his equipment. My oldest son will be lion hunting this year, and after Ivan's seminar, I have little choice but to have the hunt video taped!

Many others also engaged the family, but of particular note are Johan Calitz Safari and Hornady Ammunition. As I said before, kids are often very perceptive. My oldest son, who rarely says much, said Johan Calitz was the most sincere of all the exhibitors he interfaced with. Johan truely engaged us, and I truely regret not having been able to hunt the Okavanga Delta with him. Neil Davies with Hornady was also very engaging and spent time discussing my oldest son's upcoming safari.

Thanks to all the exhibitors who recognize that the future of the wildlife and this sport that we love so much depends on the next generation of hunter - conservationists.

watermark.php

Attachments

• Hunter and Ivan 2013.JPG
    Hunter and Ivan 2013.JPG
    736.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that some have a longer term view "built right in".
Kids can't hunt can they? :)

Look forward to the hunting reports.
Thanks for an interesting perspective.

Shakey,

It was good seeing you at the DSC convention. Good luck to you and your boys in the upcoming adventures.

I'm glad you had a good time. Sounded like a great convention at DSC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross