Driving from Johannesburg to Polokwane

If you do drive, there will be quite a few forum members wanting to hear how the drive went. One question will you be traveling with firearms? If so you might take that into consideration!

If you do drive, there will be quite a few forum members wanting to hear how the drive went. One question will you be traveling with firearms? If so you might take that into consideration!

Yes we are traveling with firearms and that was another question that still needs to be asked and answered. What are the restrictions if any. The other question is are there any Covid restrictions involved

We are on the other side of the border in Zim. We have made your drive many, many times, but we do not travel with Firearms in RSA. I would certainly discuss this subject with someone really in the know. I would start with one of the very helpful "Firearms expediters" and also get the opinion of your Safari company. I would not be looking at this as much from a legal position as I would from a "what if" situation. Such as stopped at a road block or traffic stop. If that happens your chances of making your plane might be very much in jeopardy.

My wife and I get a shuttle from where we stay in Pretoria. Ride to the airport for the two of us it costs $80.00 for the two of us. Worth every penny of it, now that I think about it, it has been a very long time since I've seen a penny!

Yes we are traveling with firearms and that was another question that still needs to be asked and answered. What are the restrictions if any. The other question is are there any Covid restrictions involved
We are on Level 1 lockdown which is pretty open. It is law to wear a cloth mask in public and you will be denied entry to facilities and shops without one. You may also be prosecuted for not wearing one. (You don’t need it in your vehicle unless you have a driver.)
You may travel with your firearms provided you have all the required legal documents with you. Rifles must be bagged/cased and handguns holstered and covered if worn.
Firearms must be under your control at all times they are not in an immovable safe.
Be aware that is a very serious offence to leave firearms unattended in your vehicle even if locked. Do not do this under any circumstances. Rather take them into the establishment with you.

The route is not complicated but you will be fatigued. Traveling with firearms makes you a target and everyone who sees you will know that you are an American. South Africa is not comparable with Boston. I rode that same route to my camp with an armed PH. I returned on a shuttle with a driver that was armed. I suppose they were wearing guns for a reason.

Last edited:
I know what you are saying about being stuck at airports for long layovers! Done it many times. OR Tambo isn't too bad for layovers just have to be careful of common airport hustlers and small time criminals. Usually just find a corner somewhere and take turns between sleeping and wandering around since there will be two.

If it is in fact a $300 shuttle charge, that is very reasonable! Or get a hotel room if schedule allows. City Lodge is attached/adjacent to airport- convenient and nice with good food. The drive you are asking about is fairly direct and has been accurately described already- have taken it a few times with others driving. It would SEEM easy. But listen to those advising against it- you won't be in Kansas anymore.

Last edited:
To add my 2c as a local - it is a very easy drive as the route is mostly dual carriageway, so the RH drive staying on the left hand side of the road is less of an issue. I would try to avoid departing the airport at rush hour as the first 50km is infamous for extremely high peak traffic density (rush hour is typically 6:30-8am in the morning). Once you hit the N1 highway north, it is an easy drive. I would advise using a GPS/Waze for peace of mind on the route. It should be a very straight forward 3 hr drive.

The firearms concern is extremely minor IMO - you will have the requisite paperwork already from SAPS at the airport. Yes, you need to be cognisant of the potential safety/robbery risk here, as has been mentioned already. EZRider has given good, pragmatic advice.

If you do get stopped by the authorities on the road, wear your mask, be courteous and have your drivers licence to hand, stick to answering any questions they ask (don't volunteer info about carrying guns or going hunting unless you want to risk prompting them into a whole lot more questions - however do not lie or pay bribes (asking for a Coke or some food is a police favourite here!)), be patient and you'll be on your merry way in a few minutes.

Hi Edster .

I am also a local and my 2c worth is as follows :
A lot of what has been already said is valid - the route under normal conditions is easy and relatively safe ( but no guarantees in SA ! ) , do not travel from the airport via Pretoria during peak time as already mentioned , do not travel this route if possible when it is a long weekend or the last weekend of the month then the traffic flow is a lot higher than normal .
I would suggest that do have a cell phone for emergencies and that you use a GPS .
The firearms should not be an issue if you have the correct documentation and never leave the firearms unattended and in plain view . The law here is easy , firearms must always be under your direct control or locked in a prescribed safe , and when in public they must be in a rifle case / bag .
There are a few decent fuel stations with fast food outlets along the route , maybe the best idea if you want to stop for breakfast / refreshments / bathroom breaks that one of you always stays with the vehicle whilst the other one gets the food / refreshments and then you enjoy the food / refreshments at the vehicle .
Our criminals are often able to identify tourists so be vigilant and don't just trust anyone . Do not just stop anywhere on the side of the road , if you need to ensure that it is an area where there are no people and that it is open enough for you to see if anyone is going to approach you , if people suddenly appear get in your vehicle and drive away .
I would be happy assist you further if you require more information or if you decide to drive and need advice / assistance during the trip .
I am the security director for an international company based in SA and have fairly good network were you to encounter a problem on the road , most car rental companies also offer roadside assistance if there is a problem . ( Hopefully you wont need any emergency assistance )
Good luck with your decision .

I have done both. Rented a car and drove to Krueger the first time I went to Africa. We got in late and spent the night at a B&B and drove the next day. The next time we went we payed for a pickup and deliver by the outfitter.
we had no problems driving ourselves, but this next year when I go we will have the outfitter arrange the driving. Sit back, chat a little with the driver, or maybe his girlfriend or wife if she is along, and learn about the local culture. You can close your eyes and rest if you feel the need. I’m like most and scrimp and save for these trips, but paying for the drive provides another level of safety and security that adds to the enjoyment of the trip.

I just booked Air Link from Joburg to Polokwane on a Wednesday but that is in September, don't know if they are changing there flight schedules further out?

Sir , I suggest you contact Adele From Hunters permits Africa.
She will shuttle you to your destination in Polokwane at a very reasonable rate. She's been doing transport and rifle import permits for hunters for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes as other have mentioned airlink officially sepereated from SAA. It is literally the same operators who previously did the flight under the SAA umbrella. I booked my flight for this June back in January I believe it was. I am hunting with bossie from Limpopo big game safaris. And be was originally scheduled to pick us up when SAA scrapped the route. But now that it's up and running again we booked.

Ok finally came to a decision. After weighing rev one rations from here, a few pm’s, and a couple of conversations with my outfitter, we have decided to hire a shuttle. Following @JanDumon’s suggestion I contacted Hunter’s Permits Africa. Adele is going to shuttle us both ways.
The more I looked into it, landed up with a small SUV, $45.00 in tolls one way, and $5.00 a gallon for gas, we decided to sit back and enjoy the ride !!!

Wise decision enjoy

Well done, I think a sound decision, enjoy your trip & Hunt @Edster !

Yes! Relax, enjoy the ride and enjoy your hunt!

Looking forward to a hunting report when you return!

When hunting, I hate to feel rushed. I usually add about a week to my trip for rest and relaxation. Might be because im getting older?
But i like to unwind at a hotel the day I arrive aswell as the next.
Then a car and driver to take me where im going.
I dont want the stress of diving in another country. The I save all the stress for my legs, simce I know after 15miles walking a day will be enough stress for me. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katlyn74D

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,