Driving across borders

SETH RINGER

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC
Hunted
TX,AK,PA,AZ,FL,AL,GA,SC,ME, PHILIPPINES, NAMIBIA, SOUTH AFRICA, ZIMBABWE, ARGENTINA, CANADA
We will be hunting western Namibia on the first part of our trip next year and then would like to fly to Vic Falls for a few days R&R before an elephant hunt in the Caprivi. Seems like it is only a couple hr drive from the Falls to Impalili Island and if possible would like to fly in and out of Vic Falls and be driven to camp. Can a guy drive across country borders with firearms? Would have my Namibian permits in hand, would get a Zim permit at airport, my biggest concern is having to go through a small piece of Botswana also (though the outfitter has said the easiest way to access the island is through Kasane, Botswana). Know this is also a question for the outfitter but also want to "ask the audience" and see what you guys thought. Thanks!

I can't help with the firearms part of it but make sure your hire vehicle is cleared, insured and everything is in order to take it out of the country.
I'm sure you have that in hand but it doesn't hurt to make absolutely sure.

You'll need a Botswana permit if you are going into Botswana.

Sounds like you you need to fly into Kasane and not Vic Falls. At Kasane airport there are no taxis waiting around for pick ups, you need to have that scheduled. It's an easy day trip from Kasane to VF, several companies provide that service and your firearm can stay safely at the hotel while you tour and only have to deal with 2 permits instead of 3 and don't have to lug your firearm between the Botswana/Zimbabwe border posts when you change vehicles at the border. Another plus is you will not hassled by street vendors as soon as you step off your hotel grounds in Kasane unlike VF. The down side with staying Kasane and taking a boat to see the elephants in the evening, you might take elephant off your wish list, I did.

Yes, its possible, Have done it many times with clients. I would also advocate the Kasane option, maybe stay in one of the hotels there and take a day trip to VF.

"Can't see the forest for the trees". Flying into Kasane is the obvious answer. Sure my outfitter will come up with a plan to get us a few days at the Falls. Thanks to all of Ya'll for the info.

Of course, the other obvious choice is to fly into Livingstone (bigger airport) and stay on that side of the falls and take day trips over to the Zimbabwe side. Then drive on the M10 to your hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!