slad68

AH elite
Reviews
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
A very good friend of mine Daniel du Toit of Kolobe Safaris in South Africa visited our Mountain Concession this past week, with him was his old friend and client Jim Patched. I met Jim last year when Daniel brought him to me for a Lion in the Kalahari.

Jim is probably the nicest guy around. Being in his late 80's Jim is still a very good hunter and a great sport to be around with. Jim shot a 58 Kudu bull on his very first Safaris to Africa with Daniel. Ever since Jim has tried to get that one Kudu Bull in the 60's.

Well Jims dreams were about to come true when they stopped on the farm. The first afternoon we passed on 7 very nice bulls all in the 49 to 55 inch range. Day two found us on top of the Mountain chasing an extremely big bull, not less than 62 inches. Needless to say, they don't get that big for being stupid.

That afternoon we found two bulls one was about 59 and the other 53 inches, they ran into a thicket with the 59 inch bull in the back. Well we knew he was going to come out second so we had Jim ready to take him. The first one came out and then the second, that was when Jim made a perfect shot to the neck.
The bulls swapped behind the bush and we took the wrong one. But still he was a very nice Kudu.

We carried on looking for a 60 inch bull and we found them but could not get a shot. Long story short Jim finally got his Bull on Saturday morning when we drove in to the bush. With me and Jim on the back, eyes locked on the bush looking for any sing of a Kudu, I saw this one great Kudu bull not 30 yards from us. He took of walking and disappeared into the thicket that was when Jim and I followed him. We walked for about a hundred yards when he broke away right in front of us.
I made the decision to leave the tracker on the track and go back to the vehicle to ambush the bull in a road up ahead.

The bull immediately made it for the mountains. Jim and I, still on the back of the vehicle made it to the foot of the mountain. I got Jim in position waiting for the bull to show himself, about 10 minutes later he appeared. Now it was a bit more difficult than I thought it would be, Daniel ranged the bull at 385 and told Jim to shoot. O BOY I thought. The shot went off and I could see the bull was hit. He disappeared and we all got back in the truck and moved on with the road hoping to see him again. I later stopped Daniel and called the tracker, telling him to follow the track so that we can see where the bull was.

Then Daniel saw him again. He was right in the middle of a bush with only his hind legs visible. Daniel got Jim behind the 375H&H again. The bull was now ranged at 263, shoot Jim, shoot said Daniel. The shot went off and I saw one great Kudu bull drop stone dead in its tracks. Jim hit the neck again.
Finally we all made it up the mountain where the bull was. He measured 58 inches on the right horn and 60 inches on the left.

What a great bull for a great guy. We are all very happy that Jim got to shoot this wonderful Kudu Bull in our Mountain Concession. Thanks to Daniel du Toit of Kolobe Safaris.

The 53" Kudu Bull Kolobe1.jpg
The 60" Kudu Bull Kolobe2.jpg
Just as we arrived Kolobe3.jpg

cracker bull bosman
hats off to young jim and his friend Daniel for going to such lengths
bet that beer was the sweetest one in a long time
thanks for sharing this hunt

At 8am in the morning with a 60" Kudu down the second best thing is a cold beer
:draught:

I hope I can do what he did when I reach that age! Good job Good Kudu!

Well worth an 0800 beer!

Gorgeous trophy. Congrats.

Both look to be great kudu to me.Looks like he busted alittle of the tip off his one horn but that adds charcter I think.Great job by everyone.

Great bulls!!!!! And to great the 60" at 80 yrs young, congrates:chaplin:

I hope I can do what he did when I reach that age! Good job Good Kudu!
most definately cliffy
at that age, I will be happy to just sit on the side of a mountain sucking the sides in on a couple cans of beer
but a snoozer kudu like that would be extra special to the deal

Great story ,,i,m happy the he got his Dream Bull

Thanks guys this was really a special moment for all of us.

Attachments

• Kolobe4.jpg
    Kolobe4.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 123
Great kudu, thanks for the pictures!

At 8am in the morning with a 60" Kudu down the second best thing is a cold beer
:draught:

That is a fantastic, and probably one of the truest statements ever made....:beer: Very nice trophies and congrats to the hunters.

Congrats to the 80 year young hunter :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18whlsrolin

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross