Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I love a dove hunt. I think it kicks off the season. It is a good time, knocking rust off and just enjoying the fall. Best of all dove are excellent table fare.

The day was not in our favour. It started with a heavy mist
20220910_064609.jpg
20220910_064557.jpg

As day broke the wind died and nothing was moving.
20220910_070454.jpg

We made the best of it. And we managed to bag a a handlefull each
20220910_091655.jpg

We moved around to different fields that our guide knew to try and change our luck.

20220910_141859.jpg

It was good time. But we had to combine this haul with a few frozen and left over from last year
20220910_182207.jpg

We tried a new recipe

20220909_204009.jpg

20220910_182207.jpg

20220910_182756.jpg
20220910_185702.jpg
20220910_190202.jpg

A great dinner, shared with my sons and a few of their friends. What a great day.

Very nice. You’ll need a good dog in that thick stuff. Our opening day feast of bacon wrapped doves with onions and jalapeño cooked over a mesquite fire is on of the year‘s most anticipated meals.

Very nice. You’ll need a good dog in that thick stuff. Our opening day feast of bacon wrapped doves with onions and jalapeño cooked over a mesquite fire is on of the year‘s most anticipated meals.
The dog was very good! She was a sniffing machine :)

I love pigeon shooting also.
(when do I say pigeon and when dove ?)
What ammo do you take?
For our (and in UK) woodcock pigeons I use 3,25 mm Goldstar in 20/70,for turtle 2,25-2.5mm
If you take on every pigeon that comes within shooting distance, it is more difficult than any pheasant hunt.I don't mean the birds that are flying into the decoy picture and are landing.
And no matter how much the English praise these big birds.

I love you not just pulling the breast and picking the birds. When my wife and I were dating my future father in law shot a limit each and we decided to go fishing afterwards. I told my future wife I would clean them when we got home, when I went to get them out of the cooler they were gone. I asked her and she said she took care of them, I went to the fridge and there sat 15 little picked doves looking like so many picked chickens. I decided right then and there she was a keeper! She actually helped cleaning the flounder as well.

What ammo do you take?
I used 2 3/4" Kent steel #6. We have to use a nontoxic shot.

If you take on every pigeon that comes within shooting distance, it is more difficult than any pheasant hunt.

It makes me jumpy because they come in so fast and unexpectedly! The shadow of a butterfly in my peripheral vision leads to sudden movement on my part :D

I used 2 3/4" Kent steel #6. We have to use a nontoxic shot.

It makes me jumpy because they come in so fast and unexpectedly! The shadow of a butterfly in my peripheral vision leads to sudden movement on my part :D
Had the same thing happening to me on a recent goose hunt when grey heron would fly from the bank of the river.

Had the same thing happening to me on a recent goose hunt when grey heron would fly from the bank of the river.
That was an epic trip you did too. Great report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GlendaMccl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!