Dove Season in Texas just around the corner!

chashardy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Dove season in Texas opens on Sept. 1. I'm headed to Corsicana (40 miles south of Dallas) to hunt on a big sunflower field that has been great dove hunting for the last 3 years. I will be going back on the weekend to entertain clients at a dove hunt. Many are bringing sons and daughters and the event has become a great way to build relationships with our clients.
I'm looking forward to hunting with my new Beretta SL3 20g. Doves might be my favorite thing to hunt in Texas.

What are your plans?

Dove season opens on the same date here in AZ. It has been so blazing hot, however, and being out at the crack of dawn is key.

I'm not much of a Dove hunter these days, but I wait for Quail season and prefer going out in the cooler months.

I’ll be hunting solo and socially distanced with my inexpensive Yildiz O/U near San Angelo Sept. 1-2. I saw lots of doves while hunting deer and hogs there over the winter.

I'll be hunting about 30 miles East of Dallas on opening afternoon(after work). Went by yesterday to look at the field and it was full of birds!! Then, headed to Coleman, TX on Friday for the long weekend to hunt with friends.

Good luck everyone!

I'll be out at or that is before dawn on Sept 1, shooting at geese from my boat on the lake. Then onto the dove field to shoot at some doves.

Maybe I'll get lucky and have some of those birds commit suicide by flying into my shot.:E Rofl:

I’ll be scouting trying to find a good place on one of my ranches near Water Valley, Texas. One field was plowed already But one has some wheat and oats. Time will tell where I wind up. Dove hunting here is hit and miss. All my life it’s rained just before opening day dispersing the birds that were concentrated at the waterholes. If you stay at it you can have some good hunts and always good times!
Philip

Colorado mourning and Eurasian doves. 50mi East of here. 1982 Remington 1100 lightweight 20 ga. “If it flies, it dies”!

Dove season opens on the same date here in AZ. It has been so blazing hot, however, and being out at the crack of dawn is key.

I'm not much of a Dove hunter these days, but I wait for Quail season and prefer going out in the cooler months.
When I lived in Ca., we went to the Yuma Indian reservation for doves. 110F by 1100 hours. Go back to the Motel 6 and back out by 4pm. You could shoot 20 doves ( now the limit is 10?) in 45 minutes. A couple of times in Colorado has been that good, but not often. Colder weather pushes them south sooner. Good luck and have fun!

I'm not sure how Texas is fairing, but we are in a severe drought in the Arizona desert. Not much of a monsoon this year. Pretty tough on the critters, without much water.

+1 here in Colorado. No monsoon rain, only smoke in the air from the fires.

Arrid in central Texas as well. Normally the white wings have arrived by now, but not this year. That said, I expect I can scratch down a limit of mourning doves 200 yards out the back door opening morning. Good luck to all!

“White wings”! My favorite dove! In the mid ‘70s they were everywhere in Arizona. First dove and limit of doves for me at age 16. Then, their habitat was being compromised by all of the building around Phoenix and other metropolitan areas. I last hunted dove in Az in 1988 and the white wings were scarce. Biologists say they are moving further north and west from Texas and New Mexico to find suitable habitat. I hope they find Colorado a good home!

I scouted our sunflower field near Corsicana on Monday afternoon. Not a lot of birds yet, but that field has been gold the last couple of years. Hoping the birds move in this week. Shooting clays Sunday afternoon to get ready.

A couple reminders for folks. Some states require HIP numbers, do you have yours?

Also check that plug in your shotgun, remember only 3 rounds allowed and you have to have a plug if your shotgun is capable of holding more.

I haven't hunted doves in years, they are usually gone from my local areas by September so I don't even bother.

I will be sitting somewhere with a shotgun by my side that evening not sure exactly where yet. Will give them the rest of the week off and try them again over the weekend. Dove close to home are hit or miss.... Most often miss it’s more about time spent with family and friends.

That and it’s like the opening ceremonies for the rest of hunting season

Can’t make it to the field until Saturday.. but I’ve got a day of dove and a night of hog hunting over near Bonham, TX then...

Hoping we have dove stuffed pork loin for dinner on Sunday

Headed to Santa Anna Texas tomorrow, hope to whack out a few limits on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.