Douglas Premium barrels

colorado

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Has anyone bought a Douglas Premium barrel lately? I had one, 2nd barrel on my 270 Win, and it was awesome. I was thinking of having my gunsmith put a Douglas Premium stainless barrel with a 1 in 8" twist on my vintage 270 Weatherby so I could shoot heavier bullets.

My Gunsmith installed a 24" 1-14 twist Douglas on my 404 build last year, accuracy is excellent

Yes I have had several Douglas XX barrels installed. They are excellent barrels for the money.

Has anyone bought a Douglas Premium barrel lately? I had one, 2nd barrel on my 270 Win, and it was awesome. I was thinking of having my gunsmith put a Douglas Premium stainless barrel with a 1 in 8" twist on my vintage 270 Weatherby so I could shoot heavier bullets.
@colorado
I bought a Douglas air gauged competition stainless steel barrel chambered in 35 Whelen AI for my M17. Good barrel groups an inch consistently. There are better barrels in my opinion like Lilja and our own Australian made TSE barrels that group less than half inch.
Bob

@colorado
I bought a Douglas air gauged competition stainless steel barrel chambered in 35 Whelen AI for my M17. Good barrel groups an inch consistently. There are better barrels in my opinion like Lilja and our own Australian made TSE barrels that group less than half inch.
Bob
Bob, I agree. I have bought Lilja for my last 3 custom M70 builds, and they have been very good. I am not a bench rest shooter, but Douglas barrels are not as consistent in my opinion. I use Lilja on all my hunting rifles.

Bob, I agree. I have bought Lilja for my last 3 custom M70 builds, and they have been very good. I am not a bench rest shooter, but Douglas barrels are not as consistent in my opinion. I use Lilja on all my hunting rifles.
@Justbryan
Lilja are excellent barrels at an affordable price. My 25 groups less than 0.5 at 100 and 0.8 at 200 and that's my hunting rifle. Our TSE/MAB barrels are almost as good. My Whelen is superbly accurate with any projectile.
Bob

I like to see what the competitors are using in the various rifle shooting disciplines. Douglas hasn’t been on a top 10 list in 40 years. That isn’t to say that they can’t build a good barrel because they can as plenty here can testify. For me, there are many things I can control when I replace a barrel but I cannot control the quality of the tube. I go where I have the best chance with a manufacturer that is consistently towards the top of the pile.

Krieger, Bartlein, and Hawkhill. I'm a cut barrel guy have had a lot of different makes these 3 are my go to barrels. Do they cost a little more yes. Honestly what is an extra 150.00 when you are 800-1000 deep in a rebarrel? The down time alone is worth knowing you have the best on your rig. JMHO

I wrote about the Lilija barrel being my go-to barrel for hunting builds but most of my friends that shoot target/competitions shoot Bartlein barrels. My gunsmith like to use Lillja but often also likes Bartlein. Bartlein would be a great choice.

What about Krieger?
I went with a Krieger barrel for my 404J conversion on a Win Mod 70. Delivery time was about 8 months, but the wait was worth it. Dennis Olson did the GS work and I have a 0.5 MOA rifle. The reason I selected Krieger was when I talked to Granite Mountain Arms (custom Mauser actions) and asked who they used for their barreled actions, they said Krieger.

The intellectual/history/company base of Bartlein and Krieger is the same :)

I too prefer cut rifled barrels. But that doesn’t mean ironed/button rifled barrels aren’t accurate. Some certainly are with plenty of competitive wins to prove it. Three of the button rifled companies I have experience with are Douglas, Shilen and Lilja. I’ve used several cut rifled barrels by Krieger. I’ve had decent luck with all mentioned but my favorite companIes to deal with have been Krieger and Shilen.

Last Douglas barrel was a .17 Fireball and a friend chambered one in 6.5x47 Lapua. Both are less than 1/2 moa at 100 meters.
the gotcha on barrels these days is getting one in the right contour and twist. I see some have an eight month wait list for a custom order.

The intellectual/history/company base of Bartlein and Krieger is the same :)

I too prefer cut rifled barrels. But that doesn’t mean ironed/button rifled barrels aren’t accurate. Some certainly are with plenty of competitive wins to prove it. Three of the button rifled companies I have experience with are Douglas, Shilen and Lilja. I’ve used several cut rifled barrels by Krieger. I’ve had decent luck with all mentioned but my favorite companIes to deal with have been Krieger and Shilen.

Benchmark barrels is another record holder, they are another great company.

We are lucky in the fact we have so many good choices. Have been very fortunate in the fact, I have not had a bad custom barrel, meaning one that did not shoot well. Lasting what they should, that is a different matter altogether.

Have chambered three Benchmark barrels and as @Inline6 posted, they are a great company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!