Doubles in Alaska, here and now

harv in AK

Reaction score
I hunt, nowadays, with a tiny Merkel double. Great sheep gun, all 6lbs 2ozs of it. Investment value? Amazing, worth more 'experienced' than new. But I'm not quife done wifh it, thanks. That's for wife to concern herself about. Later; after me. Oh, and it groups one ragged hole, 100 meters, Norma soldered core hunting ammo. Good 'nuff for me..

Doubles, an expensive enigma? No, not after this. Just get NRA insurance--it is good--then buy the rifle. Or, othereways, cannot insure somerging not in hand. So get the investment, I did, just an 'entry level' Merkel, a damn good piece, accurate, dependable . . . , what more can you ask? Beauty? OK, Fact: Merkel does not make ugly rifles. Period. Okay, pain, large $$. Fine, Its insured, OK?. Now it is yours. For good and ALL. It does its job.

How to feed and care for a double--Very short version:
Give it factory loads. Midway has the ammo, though I hate to say so. Norma is superb-to use a big, honest word. Cannot be.beaten. Just is. Solder is better than epoxy glue. Just is, 44,060 lbs psi Is better than anything used now Or ever; fact.
Back on track: Double rifle, scope is great. Recommend 1x3 Leupold. Better = Leitz. Pricey. Excellent optics. Your choice.
. So now what? Shoot. A lot. Doubles are essentially a one-barrel gun. Super accurare, that one. One. For Dall sheep (or moose, or white tailed deer, or Kodiak bear, or . . . whatever, if it is close and gonna hurt you, pull the second trigger. OK? Simple 'nuff? Just do it, it works and has for way over 100 years.
Therin lies my love of the double. Period, no more, thats all folks.
Yes, I have more than a few bolt guns. Including a Sako Finnbear .375, constant companion through the years. We are one. Through many, many whitetails, moose, C'boo, blacktails in AK, and a few brown bears, including a couple of K bears, it has done its job. Now time is for the tiny Merkel (28 gauge-sized frame), six lbs, both barrels. Yes. A Little less than .375, but so am I. Sigh Old man's gun. Thanks, Merkel. We are well wedded. Appreciate it, you lately of E. Germany. Wonderous gunmakers, you are. Tlhanks. Much.

What caliber do you shoot with your Merkel?
(I'm looking into another one in lesser caliber than my Merkel 470ne)

Hey, quick you are!!
9.3x74r, a long--meant both ways, euro caliber, been around longer than me, 'bout 120 or 30 or so yrs. Old, works damn good too. Like me. Grin, pls.

Welcome to AH Harv! I just told my wife the other day I needed a double, she laughed out loud, but that's another thread. Someday I do hope to have one.

Hey, quick you are!!
9.3x74r, a long--meant both ways, euro caliber, been around longer than me, 'bout 120 or 30 or so yrs. Old; works damn good too. Like me. Grin, pls.
Post reply:
I also have a .500ne Merkel flavor, whuch I use for brown bears, etc, and cats, as in if I had to do Catepillars, w/tungsten solids. D8's and such.
The "old slow" 9.3x74R does a great job, fed the right bullets. Nothing gets threre but the bullet. Nothing. So it is ALL important. The bullet. PERIOD.
Best to you, happy shooting, mate, as the Kiwis say. h

Welcome to the forum Harv!!!

Welcome to AH sir!

Hi, Phil . . Others. Great kids, mine are all grown 'n mostly gone. So be it; no choice.

Buying a double: Emphasize the to utmost:
Just do. it Buy the rifle, don't ask. OK? Pls. And if you "get dead," as us Viet vets say, she will be--honest --glad $$ wise that you did. OK? Honest.
h

Welcome aboard!

Now your talking. A man shouldn't have to ask about a gun! Get it! We will not tell anyone! Promise!

Welcome to AH harv!

Welcome to AH, Harv you should post some pictures of your guns.

Thanks fot the howdys, folks. I'll be back when I have screen bigger than 2.7x5.6. And. Icannotmak e mistakes . . hitting backspace wipes entire post. Sh
. . . hampoo, n all that.
Later, from a bivgger screen.
Best,
harv3

welcome @harv in AK. I like your attitude on doubles! just go for it- you only live once!

May 7 at Brichwood 10am is the Alaska double rifle shoot. All are welcome. I'm in the Lower 48 now but will begin the drive back Tuesday and be home in time for the shoot.
C'mom by.
Cal

May 7 at Brichwood 10am is the Alaska double rifle shoot. All are welcome. I'm in the Lower 48 now but will begin the drive back Tuesday and be home in time for the shoot.
C'mom by.
Cal

Hi Cal,

I know your post here was specifically in response to harv in AK joining this forum and I have sent you an email as well, regarding the May 7th shoot at Birchwood.
However, just moments ago my boss called to tell me that I am required to be in a class on Saturday, May-7th.
So regrettably, I cannot make it to the shoot after all.
I will do all in my power to make it to the next one.

Apologies,
Paul (Velo Dog).

And, harv in AK,
Welcome to the best forum.
Do attend the shoot that Cal has planned, if you possibly can.
I promise you it will be a great time for you to meet quite a few double rifle owners and just generally good people.
Cheers.

Hi Cal,

I know your post here was specifically in response to harv in AK joining this forum and I have sent you an email as well, regarding the May 7th shoot at Birchwood.
However, just moments ago my boss called to tell me that I am required to be in a class on Saturday, May-7th.
So regrettably, I cannot make it to the shoot after all.
I will do all in my power to make it to the next one.

Apologies,
Paul (Velo Dog).

And, harv in AK,
Welcome to the best forum.
Do attend the shoot that Cal has planned, if you possibly can.
I promise you it will be a great time for you to meet quite a few double rifle owners and just generally good people.
Cheers.
Sorry you can't be there Paul, I wanted to show you my new 416 with that six power scope and detachable mount on it.

Thanks Larry,

Sounds like a great rifle.
Perhaps I can have a look at it some other day and sooner than later I hope.

Cheers,
Paul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg