Whit

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA (TX, WY, AR, NC), New Zealand, Germany, Slovakia, South Africa
Hey everyone,

Long-time lurker, first (second?) time poster. I'm currently over in Germany with the military and happen to have a German hunting license and therefore, access to buy beautiful German firearms. I've daydreamed of owning a double for years and happened to stumble across a liquidation sale with a (couple!) brand new Merkel model 140s in 9.3x74R for sale for just under $4000. The rifle has a greener breech with double barrel hook locking, modified Anson & Deeley system. Adjustable driven hunt sight, prepared for swivel mount, bascule with arabesque engraving, double trigger with back trigger, matching engraved steel trigger guard, safety slide on butt neck. Walnut stock of wood class 3 without cheek piece, with rubber butt plate and sling swivels.

Would you guys mind weighing in and sharing your opinion with a rookie?

Thanks all - and godspeed.

V/r,

Ben

Welcome aboard!

I can't contribute much but for those that can, any pictures would be a great help.

Hey everyone,

Long-time lurker, first (second?) time poster. I'm currently over in Germany with the military and happen to have a German hunting license and therefore, access to buy beautiful German firearms. I've daydreamed of owning a double for years and happened to stumble across a liquidation sale with a (couple!) brand new Merkel model 140s in 9.3x74R for sale for just under $4000. The rifle has a greener breech with double barrel hook locking, modified Anson & Deeley system. Adjustable driven hunt sight, prepared for swivel mount, bascule with arabesque engraving, double trigger with back trigger, matching engraved steel trigger guard, safety slide on butt neck. Walnut stock of wood class 3 without cheek piece, with rubber butt plate and sling swivels.

V/r,

Ben
I think Merkel's are widely considered mid level. Many owners are very happy with them. But not the reliability of a Hyme.

Great caliber choice by the way.

I have found the following:
1. LOP matters...get measured and pay to have the gun fit you.
2. Mechanics matter especially if you want a big bore double like many of us have...squaring up makes all the difference
3. You will find many here have brand preference but you will pay a price for that in your own mind...key questions does the gun regulate well...if yes and no mechanical issues with guns then pay attention to points one and two
4. Last but not least when you shoot DR weight with caliber matter greatly...learn from me I got a great 470 NE with beautiful engraving with reputable great manufacturer...but too light...kicked the h&ll out of me

hope this helps

So first of all, thanks for what you are doing over there. Glad someone has some money in their pocket while stationed there! When I was a young LT there in Northern Bavaria in late seventies, I couldn't afford to pay attention, much less pay for a double. :rolleyes:

So I tend to put Merkel, Heym, and Krieghoff into the same general class of double rifle. They are solid dependable rifles built by companies with vast experience doing so. Assuming, they are in the condition you describe that is an excellent value. Typically, you would be hard pressed to find a gently used one here in 9.3 for much less than 5K. The scope bases you describe, depending on the model, would cost a meaningful bite out of another K to install.

The 9.3 is also an extremely useful caliber when you get back to the States (or a driven boar hunt in Hungary while you are over there).

I would not hesitate.

Buy it right now and thank you for the work you for your service.

Hey everyone,

V/r,

Ben

Welcome @Whit . It's nice to hear you get to hunt while you're over in Germany!

The German domestic double rifles are well made, but a bit different than what is often used on African safaris. The Germans love 9.3x74s in the over/under configuration for running boar hunting as you know. @Red Leg certainly has experience with these guns and their use in Germany if you want to tap his brain. I'm pleased to see you're looking at the 140 model because it is a side by side. That much you got right. From my perspective, I would be looking for a side-by-side double rifle in a larger caliber for hunting in Africa.

If I was looking for a non-dangerous game double rifle in 9.3x74 or even 7x57r, 8x57JRS, I don't think I'd seek out a new Merkel. They are so-so and you have access to premium guns at similar prices. I'd be looking for used vintage German and Austrian guns that are expensive and hard to find in the States, but are abundant and reasonably priced inside of Germany. You can do better for your dollars than a new Merkel in the location you currently live.

You may also find german doubles that are two barrel sets or even three barrel sets. You'd have a very versatile gun if it had one set of small bore barrels (7mm-9mm), one large barrel set (450, 470), and one set of shotgun barrels in 20 bore would be the ultimate. The more often you can use the rifle, the better off you are.

Good luck in your search!

Welcome @Whit . It's nice to hear you get to hunt while you're over in Germany!

The German domestic double rifles are well made, but a bit different than what is often used on African safaris. The Germans love 9.3x74s in the over/under configuration for running boar hunting as you know. @Red Leg certainly has experience with these guns and their use in Germany if you want to tap his brain. I'm pleased to see you're looking at the 140 model because it is a side by side. That much you got right. From my perspective, I would be looking for a side-by-side double rifle in a larger caliber for hunting in Africa.

If I was looking for a non-dangerous game double rifle in 9.3x74 or even 7x57r, 8x57JRS, I don't think I'd seek out a new Merkel. They are so-so and you have access to premium guns at similar prices. I'd be looking for used vintage German and Austrian guns that are expensive and hard to find in the States, but are abundant and reasonably priced inside of Germany. You can do better for your dollars than a new Merkel in the location you currently live.

You may also find german doubles that are two barrel sets or even three barrel sets. You'd have a very versatile gun if it had one set of small bore barrels (7mm-9mm), one large barrel set (450, 470), and one set of shotgun barrels in 20 bore would be the ultimate. The more often you can use the rifle, the better off you are.

Good luck in your search!
I suspect the number of pillaged (liberated?) vintage (pre WWII) German doubles in the US is at least 10x those that survived the war and the weapon bands in Germany that lasted until 1952.

I suspect the number of pillaged (liberated?) vintage (pre WWII) German doubles in the US is at least 10x those that survived the war and the weapon bands in Germany that lasted until 1952.

Could be, but there are a pile of post-war Ferlachs and Suhl guns floating around central europe. The UK too. And they don't find smallbore doubles and drillings to be worth very much at all.

From a quantity perspective, particularly pre-war, that has not been my experience. It is also certainly possible we hang out in different parts of Europe. ;-)

With respect to the OP’s question, that is very nearly a wholesale price for what he describes as a new gun in a very useful caliber.

Last edited:
Save a bit more and get a Heym 89B in 450/400, then you have a double you can use in Europe, States and Africa - legal for everything. They hold their value too.

Save a bit more and get a Heym 89B in 450/400, then you have a double you can use in Europe, States and Africa - legal for everything. They hold their value too.

This is one of those posts where we have to believe you are advertising :)

Your suggestion, while epic, has nothing to do with the OP!

This is one of those posts where we have to believe you are advertising :)

Your suggestion, while epic, has nothing to do with the OP!

I think his advice was spot on. Long after the joy of the deal subsides the annoyance of low quality remains. While not terrible, the merkels are not high finish guns. That’s why Kevin says hold out for one of the best production guns made and it’s why I said go find a used vintage gun in Germany at a similar price.

New usually equals bad in guns. Most people are groomed to think new junk is better than a used best gun by coercive marketing, for example.

Gents, I appreciate all your great feedback. I'm going to buy the rifle. Seems like such a good deal for a working man's double, maybe I'll even buy two.

@rookhawk I looked at a used 88B Heym in .375 H&H a couple of months ago, but decided to pass. Although a beautiful rifle that fit me well, original paperwork, etc, the owner wanted top-end money (around $8400 USD) for a clearly used weapon. I negotiated like the dickens but he didn't have a pressing need to sell the weapon, unfortunately.

Gents, I appreciate all your great feedback. I'm going to buy the rifle. Seems like such a good deal for a working man's double, maybe I'll even buy two.

@rookhawk I looked at a used 88B Heym in .375 H&H a couple of months ago, but decided to pass. Although a beautiful rifle that fit me well, original paperwork, etc, the owner wanted top-end money (around $8400 USD) for a clearly used weapon. I negotiated like the dickens but he didn't have a pressing need to sell the weapon, unfortunately.

Excellent...and if you buy both sure we could come to an agreement on swopping one for part payment of a hunt or a trophy fee......would put my beer cheers smiley here but for some reason that icon strip has gone on strike.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theron03S

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!