Contributor
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Gentlemen:

A good new year to you all!

It's that time of year again to begin planning the 2018 Alaska Double Rifle Shoot. We will now host the shoot on the first Saturday in May so there is no arguing and debating about dates. The 2018 shoot is May 5th at the Birchwood facility about 20 miles east of Anchorage on the Glenn Highway.

A few of us will arrive at 9am to set up and the shooting begins at 10am when the range is open to the public. We will break at noon for lunch (provided) and resume shooting until our shoulders can't take it any longer.

All are welcome to attend and we host many each year from the lower 48 flatlands and some have joined us from overseas. This year a few are "thinking about it" from the UK, South Africa and Australia. A gent from England has confirmed. With enough notice the Alaska double rifle men can assist with transport and places to stay. My spare room is taken but I still have a cot and futon in the loft available.

Last year we had approximately 50 firearms there, most doubles (of course) including a couple of machine guns (with an original Thompson) and three howdah pistols.

I will have the following at the shoot: .450, .500, .500 no2, .577, 12-bore, 10-bore, 8-bore, 4-bore, .577 howdah pistol for my black powder doubles, and a .350 no2, .450-400, .450 no2, .500, .600 for my nitro doubles.

There will be one table set aside to put "for sale" items on.

All are welcome to shoot any and all rifles and we don't charge for ammo or food. In the past we have asked all to chip in to repay Rob for his payment of the range fee ($250 last year). And, last year when I announced to collect contributions, most quietly moved to the back of the crowd. This year when you register to shoot, rather than paying $20 to the range (which is the fee per person if the range is not reserved) we well ask all to chip in $10 for Rob. Any remainder will be put towards the food. (I am not alone in the hope Jim and Joyce will do the cooking).

You don't have to own or bring a double. Bring what you wish to shoot. Or, just show up.

I will email all those whom I have contacts with for confirmation in March and also ask the regulars what they can contribute in the way of food and drink.

Again, please remember all are welcome. Even if we piss and moan at each other on the forums, the shoot is neutral territory and I would like to see all of you here.

Cheers,
Cal

PS. I don't spend much time on the forums and PMs arrive once per day at 2am so please use email to contact me with any questions. <pappas@mtaonline.net>

Sounds like an amazing day Cal.

Sounds like a truly great day with lots of fun with doubles.
My wish for you is a very pleasant day with many good memories for all..

This sounds like an awesome event! Also, a great reason to visit Alaska for the first time.

Cal,
You and your fellow Alaskan’s always extend such wonderful kindness and generosity to the folks who travel up there for this shoot. It is wonderful to see! While I won’t be in attendance this year, I hope to make it someday. Just wanted to say thank you to all those involved. I hope this year is the best ever!

Thanks for all of your kind words. The shoot is still on, but note below:

Double Rifle Shooters:
Important change and update.

Birchwood has canceled our shoot as they are hosting an event and won't allow us to shoot on May 5th. Rather than change the date as many have their tickets and time planned, Rob and I looked to the Mat Su Sportsman's Shooting Range.

Kelly, range officer, gladly accepted us to shoot on May 5th. Rob and I were there last evening (January 15) and what is there is an upgrade from Birchwood. We will have a 100 yard range to ourselves with nine tables, use of the restrooms, and a large meeting room to chat and have lunch, show our firearms, have a "for sale" table, etc.

From what we saw Rob an I agreed this is the place for our yearly shoots.

On May 5th, the range is hosting an official competitive shoot so we are limited to our 100-yard range and the meeting room as all of the other areas will be under use. We can access the rest rooms.

Directions:
Mile 38.5 Glenn Highway in Palmer. Two miles south of the fairgrounds.

I will email all of you gents and please acknowledge the email so I know you are aware of the change of location.

Rob, myself, and some of the regulars will arrive at half 8 to 9am to set up and we will begin shooting at 10, lunch at noon, and resume shooting at 1 and continue to do so until our shoulders give out.

I would like to collect $10 from each person to pay the range rental fee. If any money is remaining, Jim and Joyce will be reimbursed for their food. (Note: Joyce is the only woman on the planet who shoots a 4-bore so be very nice to her!)

Thanks for your understanding and, believe me, this location is a step up for us.
Cheers,

Cal

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber