Cliffy

AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
Just sitting here thinking and came up with this question O/U or SXS for a double rifle?
Does tradition trump all else?

Absativily! :D SXS forever!

Those stacked barrels are a passing fad for those too slow to turn them properly to a horizontal plane.

There was a time I just had to have an O/U shotgun. Finally I got a Browning Citori. I used it in the trap league I was in. I absolutely couldn't shoot the durn thing. Went back to shooting my Benelli auto and ended up believe it or not with "Most Improved Shooter."

So I guess I'd go SXS.

AkMike I think I'm with you on the rifle end but I love my first issue Citori 20 ga. I did much better with it than my 870 slide slammer. But then 20 ga ain't exactly a 470 NE.

The Germans preferred the OU and the Brits the SxS. The Brits would argue that the SxS is quicker to reload because the barrels don't have to drop as far. The Teutons would claim their OU's were more accurate and more easily handled a scope. Whatever you are comfortable with is probably the answer.

Reactions: IvW
Sort of reminds me of the discussion about our respective military rifles during WWI The Brits were said to have the best battle rifle in the SMLE. The Germans were said to have the best hunting rifle in the Mauser and the Americans were said to have the best target rifle in the Springfield.

Hey Cliffy, I hope you did not cause your self to much stress contemplating such a in depth and complex subject such as you mention. I to have thought about this, wondering what configuration of double I would purchase if the Director of finance and war should ever relent on such an investment. Upon many hour of contemplation (with good red wine) so far I have only managed to determine that aside from good stock fit, correct regulation, twin triggers (none of this rubbish inertia cocking) I have not yet found the correct answer. I guess the last factor would be to shoot a u/o double as I have not yet had an opportunity to do so.

I should have some more loaded by next week.
Stop by and we'll 'pop your cherry' with some good shooting with DR's. Maybe start with a mid 1870's 500 Express and move up the list to one of the 577/500 Mags or the 577 3" Express and the 450 NE's. Possibly wander a couple hours north to try a 600 NR DR or a 1880's 4 bore DR?

Bring your own sissy pad for your shoulder.

Anton Sodia started with the O/U doubles in the early 1900's not a fashion or a fad..

My Franz Sodia (ferlach) was produced in the late 80's before the double fad even hit ph's and hunters, there is no difference in regulation whatsoever as each Double regulates and could potentially be regulated differently.
I prefer the O/U mostly because I now own one in 470 :) :) :) and secondly the fore grip is "deeper" it is easier to hold..

Many have said that the action opens further but honestly have not noticed that between my Sodia and the Suhl sxs

Guess it's easy to see that I'm backing the Germans!!! :) :) :) :)
My best always

Anton Sodia started with the O/U doubles in the early 1900's not a fashion or a fad..

My Franz Sodia (ferlach) was produced in the late 80's before the double fad even hit ph's and hunters, there is no difference in regulation whatsoever as each Double regulates and could potentially be regulated differently.
I prefer the O/U mostly because I now own one in 470 :) :) :) and secondly the fore grip is "deeper" it is easier to hold..

Many have said that the action opens further but honestly have not noticed that between my Sodia and the Suhl sxs

Guess it's easy to see that I'm backing the Germans!!! :) :) :) :)
My best always

Jaco stop trying to make excuses for not getting a proper double with the correct barrel configuration :shakehead:, now when you have got over this fad of yours for o/u rifles i am sure that one day you will buy one with the correct sxs configuration, and also it will be made in the correct country as well england.....:stirring::heh:;)

This is an easy one to answer: the proper configuration is side by side, like a man & his dog not on top of each other like a man & his mistress :wink:

Jaco stop trying to make excuses for not getting a proper double with the correct barrel configuration :shakehead:, now when you have got over this fad of yours for o/u rifles i am sure that one day you will buy one with the correct sxs configuration, and also it will be made in the correct country as well england.....:stirring::heh:;)

Spike I also own a Suhl 470 which I got because I sold the Sabatti 500

I would say I am into classics.... And also a little against the grain as I do not like to follow main stream UNIQUE if you will.......... :) ha!

My very best as always

Spike I also own a Suhl 470 which I got because I sold the Sabatti 500

I would say I am into classics.... And also a little against the grain as I do not like to follow main stream UNIQUE if you will.......... :) ha!

My very best as always

dont worry i can tell you are still in denial and confuzed :confusion2:, but i will help you overcome your problem and take you in vegas to show you some proper english made sxs doubles..........:biggrin2::beer:

Deutch land uber alles!!!
My best always

OUPS !!! Sacrilege !!!:ignore::whatever:
The weight of history ... One barrel became two barrels SxS ... by security and for manufacturing reasons .. later O & U .. later , not easy to manufacture ...at the time!
Buff an many animals are while length exept bears from time to time so SxS are "more efficient" .. for profile shots?? And frontal shots ??? ...
Convincing ??? ... maybe, not sure.
SxS : Good looking ? YES !!! .. in my opinion, but it's only an opinion ... I think we try to justify an "artistic" choice by "pseudo" technical reasons ...:whistling:

The only reason for choosing a S/S over a O/U is looks.
And the only reason why I would buy a double rifle over a good bolt rifle is looks and fun :)

The only reason for choosing a S/S over a O/U is looks.
And the only reason why I would buy a double rifle over a good bolt rifle is looks and fun :)

Thanks! Spot on all the rest is just speculation or conversation... :)

My best always

Hi Guys
Sadly owning neither in rifles I have tried both in shot guns and all I can say is that my eyes are side by side so if you don't mind I will stick to side by side.
But then I wont say NO if offered a rifle in either.
Be safe
Russel
PS Talk about an affliction.............................Firearmitis. fun though.

Sort of reminds me of the discussion about our respective military rifles during WWI The Brits were said to have the best battle rifle in the SMLE. The Germans were said to have the best hunting rifle in the Mauser and the Americans were said to have the best target rifle in the Springfield.

We were at war so the brits had it right. Now back to the OP. I would go for a SxS as its quicker to load and more importantly it a British thing!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg