Double rifle for the Big Five in .470 Nitro Express

Sanglier14

AH senior member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone
I would like some advice if possible.
I'm hoping too hunt the big five in a few years if still possible.
I put my eyes on a double rifle in .470 Nitro Express complete handmade by a Belgium gun maker.
Is this a good caliber too go for the big five or too heavy for leopard and lion?
The reason that is ask it is because if I order now I have my gun end 2017.
I takes about 640 hours too make the gun.
Thanks in advance
Stefan

12-58[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi stefan who is making your .double? .470 is a good choice for a double rifle and is good for ele down. for leopard you are best with a scoped rifle due to the time you will possibly have to take your shot, ie low light levels in morning or evening and the possible distance on a relatively small target. on lion it depends where you would hunt it i think. in SA on a ranch when you are probably going to be tracking it and can get close then a double would be fine . if you are baiting them then same situation as for leopard and a scoped rifle is going to be better, but both are possible with a double if you dont mind limiting yourself to the shots you could take. you could shoot everything with a .470 double but would have to be willing to get fewer animals, as it would be harder than using a scoped rifle, but it would be fun, and i do kinda love doubles :)
p.s. for follow up on leopard or lion its perfect

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a .470 Nitro Express for dangerous game hunting. You may want to stick to think skinned animals on this one and take the advise from Mike on a scoped rifle for the cats...

I have seen guys add detachable scopes to doubles are siting them, but thats purely on preference.

I would bet most PH's would cringe a bit if you showed up for leopard with that, but if it is what you want, go for it on elephant and buff... And if you want to hunt one, rhino... As Mike said, can go either way on lion. Take the double and a scoped 375 along for that. Or just the 375. Better yet, discuss it with your chosen PH when the time comes.

BTW, beautiful rifle and engraving... Love the elephant. If I was doing it I would want elephant, buffalo and either rhino or lion engraved on it.

hi stefan who is making your .double? .470 is a good choice for a double rifle and is good for ele down. for leopard you are best with a scoped rifle due to the time you will possibly have to take your shot, ie low light levels in morning or evening and the possible distance on a relatively small target. on lion it depends where you would hunt it i think. in SA on a ranch when you are probably going to be tracking it and can get close then a double would be fine . if you are baiting them then same situation as for leopard and a scoped rifle is going to be better, but both are possible with a double if you dont mind limiting yourself to the shots you could take. you could shoot everything with a .470 double but would have to be willing to get fewer animals, as it would be harder than using a scoped rifle, but it would be fun, and i do kinda love doubles :)

100% agree with Mike.

Pretty rifle... you got great advise already

Good morning Spike thanks for the advice.
Here is the link I hope you can open it it is in French but in the right corner you can choose English.
Thanks
Stefan
http://www.armureriestevaux-degreift.com/fr/

BTW, beautiful rifle and engraving... Love the elephant. If I was doing it I would want elephant, buffalo and either rhino or lion engraved on it.
Good morning Bob
The complete big 5 is engraved in the gun but I only put one photo of the gun.
Stefan

Good morning
Thanks everybody for the good advice and tips I will ask more questions I see here are real pro!
Stefan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.