Double Rifle Cartridge Belt

MRBlack

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
I am looking for everyone’s opinion on the best shell carrier/cartridge belt for a double rifle. Specifically a 500 NE. I have looked at Trader Keith and like their backup belt and culling belt. Does anyone have any experience with these or is there another type or style you have a preference to? Thanks, Matt.

I use a Murray leather ammo holder on a Tucker gun leather "ranger" style belt. The belt is very thick and solid, so nothing slides around unintentionally.

20200811_153033.jpg

I would highly recommend Westley Richards 10 shot holders. They fit tight to the belt so they don’t slide about and the shells are tight in the holders but not to tights as you can’t get them out in a hurry. They make in all calibers and dark and tan leather, so what ever your taste they have it covered. Never known any client ever need more than 10 double rifle bullets either, so a culling belt is a bit over kill and extra weight to carry around I always feel. Just my two cents. Here is one of mine.
ecb33d99-c512-4f4b-a8c1-0ffea6158363.jpg

My Murray has served me faithfully for several years whether using my Blaser S2 or R8.

murray2.jpg

When using my .470 Dbl. I use a Trader Kieth culling belt so I can use every other spacing. Makes it easy to pull two cartridges out at once. For a bolt Rifle .416 Rigby or .404 Jeffry I use a Els 5 round pouch.

Note, When hunting buffalo with a client, I always add a second 5 rd. pouch, just in case!

The every other spacing is very useful. I used it in my National Parks exam but with a 10 round leather holder-it works really well for grabbing hold of the next round -or two if you are a double man. I also like the canvas of a culling belt-less verdigris on your brass. The leather has chemicals left over from the curing that accelerates gunk forming on your brass. That said, I am using a leather 10 bullet pouch and I prefer having my belt through my belt loops in my shorts. When you pull up on the cartridge, I don't have any problems with the whole belt sliding up. I think the canvas of a culling belt is less sticky than leather ?? so maybe that isn't a problem.

You could always check out what Mark Sullivan has to say- as I recall he has an opinion on cartridge belts in his video double rifle handling on youtube. :ROFLMAO:

Nhoro I agree with you completely on the leather/brass gunk. I try to remember to not leave my cartridges in the leather pouches, usually I forget, but really the culling canvas belt is my favorite. As to how many cartridges to carry, one really bad experience with a(wounded the day before) buffalo at point blank range convinced me all of those loops were there for a reason!

As to Mark Sullivan, no comment!:mad:

My leather pouch has 10 rounds and my rifle holds 5 in the magazine andwear a backpack so can always chuck extra cartridges in there.
As for Sullivan, I am happy to say that the only similarities are that my cartridge holder is made out of leather !

(y)

I have started using a tactical type belt with two types of holders . One is a suede 5 cartridge holder that can flap closed which is great for the plains non DG hunts. The other a very reasonably priced El Paso brand 10 cartridge holder . I swap these out as required.

E2B42C4E-A3EF-482A-9D1D-EB771FF28254.jpeg

++Murray Custom Leather, great craftsmanship

Another vote for Murray's Custom Leather. Handmade in the US and very high quality. I went with the heavy elastic loops instead of all leather, will not be as effected by temperature or moisture. I would hate to need another round and have it bind in a leather loop even for a moment. Also, it looks as though the elastic could be replaced easily enough if it became too worn.

Another vote for Murray's Custom Leather. Handmade in the US and very high quality. I went with the heavy elastic loops instead of all leather, will not be as effected by temperature or moisture. I would hate to need another round and have it bind in a leather loop even for a moment. Also, it looks as though the elastic could be replaced easily enough if it became too worn.
I use a heavy elastic cartridge holder on my wrist(leather on the bottom and loops elastic) for the first reloads and the rest on my belt....nothing faster

I use a heavy elastic cartridge holder on my wrist(leather on the bottom and loops elastic) for the first reloads and the rest on my belt....nothing faster
That's a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg