Double Rifle Cartridge Belt

MRBlack

AH member
Reaction score
I am looking for everyone’s opinion on the best shell carrier/cartridge belt for a double rifle. Specifically a 500 NE. I have looked at Trader Keith and like their backup belt and culling belt. Does anyone have any experience with these or is there another type or style you have a preference to? Thanks, Matt.

rinehart0050

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
I use a Murray leather ammo holder on a Tucker gun leather "ranger" style belt. The belt is very thick and solid, so nothing slides around unintentionally.

20200811_153033.jpg

chashardy

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Check out Dick Murray's website: murraycustomleather.com.
He makes several versions of ammo belts and sizes them specifically for caliber.

Stalker91

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, Hungary, Austria, France, England, Scotland, Ireland
I would highly recommend Westley Richards 10 shot holders. They fit tight to the belt so they don’t slide about and the shells are tight in the holders but not to tights as you can’t get them out in a hurry. They make in all calibers and dark and tan leather, so what ever your taste they have it covered. Never known any client ever need more than 10 double rifle bullets either, so a culling belt is a bit over kill and extra weight to carry around I always feel. Just my two cents. Here is one of mine.
ecb33d99-c512-4f4b-a8c1-0ffea6158363.jpg

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
My Murray has served me faithfully for several years whether using my Blaser S2 or R8.

murray2.jpg

Tokoloshe Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.tokoloshesafaris.com
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
When using my .470 Dbl. I use a Trader Kieth culling belt so I can use every other spacing. Makes it easy to pull two cartridges out at once. For a bolt Rifle .416 Rigby or .404 Jeffry I use a Els 5 round pouch.

Note, When hunting buffalo with a client, I always add a second 5 rd. pouch, just in case!

Nhoro

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
The every other spacing is very useful. I used it in my National Parks exam but with a 10 round leather holder-it works really well for grabbing hold of the next round -or two if you are a double man. I also like the canvas of a culling belt-less verdigris on your brass. The leather has chemicals left over from the curing that accelerates gunk forming on your brass. That said, I am using a leather 10 bullet pouch and I prefer having my belt through my belt loops in my shorts. When you pull up on the cartridge, I don't have any problems with the whole belt sliding up. I think the canvas of a culling belt is less sticky than leather ?? so maybe that isn't a problem.

You could always check out what Mark Sullivan has to say- as I recall he has an opinion on cartridge belts in his video double rifle handling on youtube. :ROFLMAO:

Tokoloshe Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.tokoloshesafaris.com
Media
Articles
Member of
Hunted
Nhoro I agree with you completely on the leather/brass gunk. I try to remember to not leave my cartridges in the leather pouches, usually I forget, but really the culling canvas belt is my favorite. As to how many cartridges to carry, one really bad experience with a(wounded the day before) buffalo at point blank range convinced me all of those loops were there for a reason!

As to Mark Sullivan, no comment!:mad:

Nhoro

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
My leather pouch has 10 rounds and my rifle holds 5 in the magazine andwear a backpack so can always chuck extra cartridges in there.
As for Sullivan, I am happy to say that the only similarities are that my cartridge holder is made out of leather !

Tokoloshe Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.tokoloshesafaris.com
Media
Articles
Member of
Hunted
(y)

John Telford

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Phasa ,SA Wingshooters, Botswana Tourism (HATAB), Pretoria Arms and Ammunition Association PAAA.
Hunted
South Africa , Botswana,
I have started using a tactical type belt with two types of holders . One is a suede 5 cartridge holder that can flap closed which is great for the plains non DG hunts. The other a very reasonably priced El Paso brand 10 cartridge holder . I swap these out as required.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
E2B42C4E-A3EF-482A-9D1D-EB771FF28254.jpeg

++Murray Custom Leather, great craftsmanship

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnDobbin

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.