Double rifle airline case

I've used the Tuffpak. They do have the takedown case. https://nalpak.com/tuffpak-1132-take-down-case/
I have had no damage to anything transported in the Tuffpak, including the rifle/scope. It is also a very lightweight case, so more can be stuffed in and still make 50lb weight limit.

Any suggestions for an airline approved hard case for a double rifle?
Pelican is my go to. Been on over a dozen international trips with it and no problems. Just cut off the extra plastic lock holes so you don’t have to use 4 locks!

Reactions: WAB
Thanks - just emailed them on making up a case.

Be prepared to wait a bit. The guy who takes care of the custom orders only works two days a week before COVID so no telling what that may be at this time!

A case for a single, double rifle would be Pelican 1700.
You would probably have room pack two sets of barrels with scopes.

Wife and I each have one for our rifles.
Blaser Rilfes in the Cases.jpg

To each his own but I've seen the baggage gorillas literally destroy those aluminum monstrosities. They can be dinged, bent, twisted and disfigured. Along with that, they are usually subject to oversize charges.

Americase will make you a single, double or three gun case and will customize the slots for your favorite gun!

View attachment 367405View attachment 367406

Was looking at these cases. Have you traveled with it much? Have read pros and cons about the various aluminum cases but these look like they are very well built and would withstand the baggage gorillas. Was going to go with a Pelican and have the foam custom cut but after seeing your pictures I’m curious about these cases again. Thanks!

For you Tuffpack users, did you go with the padlock or key lock version?

Was looking at these cases. Have you traveled with it much? Have read pros and cons about the various aluminum cases but these look like they are very well built and would withstand the baggage gorillas. Was going to go with a Pelican and have the foam custom cut but after seeing your pictures I’m curious about these cases again. Thanks!

yep have made two trips with this beauty and no issues at all.

yep have made two trips with this beauty and no issues at all.

Thanks!! Looks brand new still. Do you leave the scopes on when you use it? Their website says the glass is perfectly safe. Be nice not to have to carry my scopes in my carry on for a change.

I went with padlock version so I can use a TSA padlock if I ever need to, and I can cut the lock off if I ever lose the key.....

For you Tuffpack users, did you go with the padlock or key lock version?

Before I got my Blaser Pelican case, I was working with MyCaseBuilder.com
@Ed Lally had custom foam made for a double stack case, two layers.
I believe it was a Pelican Air 1615 with 2 Blaser rifles and a double.
This included multiple barrels, optic and spots for things like knives.
You would need to confirm with him exactly what he could fit.

Before I got my Blaser Pelican case, I was working with MyCaseBuilder.com
@Ed Lally had custom foam made for a double stack case, two layers.
I believe it was a Pelican Air 1615 with 2 Blaser rifles and a double.
This included multiple barrels, optic and spots for things like knives.
You would need to confirm with him exactly what he could fit.

Thanks! I have their site bookmarked and that was the direction I was going to go but then started looking a what some of the other folks were using. You never want to waive something shiny at me, makes me go off track too easy :)

Thanks!! Looks brand new still. Do you leave the scopes on when you use it? Their website says the glass is perfectly safe. Be nice not to have to carry my scopes in my carry on for a change.
Yes I have traveled with a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H with Leupold scope mounted no issue. Scope was still dead on when I arrived.

Depending on the length I would suggest Peli Storm cases (lighter than the normal ones but sturdier than air), you do not get frustrated by the afrikan handlers who will ding up your metal cases (or crack them). Somewhat light enough, with easy rollers and can be manhandled. Here is a Peli Storm iM3300. Some Airlines will have a problem with the measurement so please check if the size is accepted. Padlocks without TSA is my preferred choice. For ammo I like the Peli Storm iM2050 (when 5kg limit).

It fits two long rifles, two Zeiss V8 1,8-14x50mm and two Holosuns, cleaning and tool kits snugly. I like to have two frm the same kind of optics in case one breaks.

20210821_194822.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the length I would suggest Peli Storm cases (lighter than the normal ones but sturdier than air), you do not get frustrated by the afrikan handlers who will ding up your metal cases (or crack them). Somewhat light enough, with easy rollers and can be manhandled. Here is a Peli Storm iM3300. Some Airlines will have a problem with the measurement so please check if the size is accepted. Padlocks without TSA is my preferred choice. For ammo I like the Peli Storm iM2050 (when 5kg limit).

It fits two long rifles, two Zeiss V8 1,8-14x50mm and two Holosuns, cleaning and tool kits snugly. I like to have two frm the same kind of optics in case one breaks.

View attachment 419616
Most rifles I've seen packed in a travel case have the bolt removed to keep the profile as flat as possible. Have you ever had a problem leaving the bolt installed?

I picked up a 3-rifle wheeled aluminium rifle case off eBay, that I subsequently worked out came from these people: https://kalispelcaseline.net/our-cases

It is locked by a rod running through eyes on the exterior, and secured with a padlock. It works very well, and I recommend it.

I also have a 4-rifle Americase, which weighs so much that I am seriously nervous about taking it to the airport. The advantage of an Americase is that they will make you a nice nylon cover to add some protection.

Most rifles I've seen packed in a travel case have the bolt removed to keep the profile as flat as possible. Have you ever had a problem leaving the bolt installed?
If the case is deep enough as this model is, it has the advantage of having enough room for shock of impact (we know how the cases can be manhandled) . But it really has the advantage of not having the gun being open, lint sticking to the gun fat and oil which has just been chemically cleaned. It would then require rifle cleaning at the outfitter causing extra precious time at the first day zeroing in where aou are already jetlagged. I use cheaper ammo for the zeroing at home, clean it chemically and then rezero it in at the outfitter with 5 shots to get oil residue cleaned and the barrel coated with the alloy of the final round. I hope that makes sense :)

If the case is deep enough as this model is, it has the advantage of having enough room for shock of impact (we know how the cases can be manhandled) . But it really has the advantage of not having the gun being open, lint sticking to the gun fat and oil which has just been chemically cleaned. It would then require rifle cleaning at the outfitter causing extra precious time at the first day zeroing in where aou are already jetlagged. I use cheaper ammo for the zeroing at home, clean it chemically and then rezero it in at the outfitter with 5 shots to get oil residue cleaned and the barrel coated with the alloy of the final round. I hope that makes sense :)
Little addition, the problem is not the bolt action, it is the stacked scopes, that's why I put the two Zeiss V8 1,8x14 50mm (both the same for emergency switching) in neoprene sleeves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!