Double rifle airline case

JPmbogo

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Willapa Harbor Gun Club
Any suggestions for an airline approved hard case for a double rifle?

Or a Tuffpak, though you will need a soft case to put the gun in first.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 9.39.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 9.39.27 AM.png
    744.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 9.39.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 9.39.29 AM.png
    536.4 KB · Views: 170
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 9.39.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 9.39.31 AM.png
    788.4 KB · Views: 187
Or a Tuffpak, though you will need a soft case to put the gun in first.

+1 on the tuffpak. That way you also have your soft case with you.

I’ve got a pelican storm 2 rifle case that we have put through hell.. it’s never failed us.. great case...

I’ve been thinking about a tuffpack next though... I’ve got a trip in November that’s going to require 2 rifles and 2 shotguns.. and am needing to pick up a second hard case...

Americase will make you a single, double or three gun case and will customize the slots for your favorite gun!

AD3A183C-736A-4D66-A886-8544C5C6755F.jpeg
AE8A7D68-10B3-452E-AA75-3FAA3C1694AC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you guys think of the Pelican Vault case, 2 gun? A lot of stores seem to carrying that one.

What do you guys think of the Pelican Vault case, 2 gun? A lot of stores seem to carrying that one.

I use one of the small vault cases for ammo. Nice case but doesn’t seem as sturdy as the standard case.

Another vote for Tuffpak.

I have used a Pelican two rifle case on two trips to Africa. Works great. They have wheels so easy to handle through airports. I put TSA approved locks on it.

Reactions: WAB
I’ve used pelican on nine safaris and numerous trips to Europe. Never had a problem and still have the first one I bought. I haven’t even had to replace a wheel!

Do not put TSA locks in a rifle case. First if all they are cheap and easily defeated. Second, too many people have TSA "keys" or copies thereof. TSA regulations require that there be a lock in each hole and that the case be locked. If the case is to be opened for inspection, you are to open the case but not surrender the key to anyone.

I have an SKB that does the job

Tuffpak covers you in multiple ways. It can hold 3 scoped rifle , so one double gives lots of room for packing in extra gear-which adds extra protection acts like padding. Its incognito and saves weight on checked bag. most people think it is a golf club case so avoids Airport freaked and potential thieves.

I talked with Americase at DSC last year. Going to have them do me a 3 gun for 2021 Safari. Im going business on Qatar so have. 70lb limit and should be under that with 3 guns.

SKB (Orange, CA) makes single, double, and quad rifle cases. (I've taken the latter to Africa 6x with absolutely NO issues and all custom one-off guns.) 'Have to buy their highest quality model, as my Son's lower-tier SKB bow case got cracked/crushed in one spot-that's more of a personal transport case. They make a "Pelican-type" case which is all plastic, slightly less sturdy and $50 less. $300 for this one. If you pack 2 rifles, you'll make std included baggage weight. If 4, you may incur extra fees (but sometimes they waive it, and that's the breaks when you're going on safari with your Son-or split it with a friend!) Even if you just pack 1-2 rifles, there's plenty of extra room for gear (knives, optics, cleaning supplies, etc.) Baggage screeners often fail to notice that it has 2 compartments, but I always like to point out the 4 just to spare any trouble down the line...SKB is famous for making instrument cases, so that's what it looks like on buses, in taxis, cabs, etc. when traveling (which is a lot less ominous than guns!) ;) When i don't feel much like chatting after 3 days of travel, i just say it's my guitar and smile!

1600021387938.png

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I am referring to a double rifle, as in my WR 470, not to a case for two rifles. I will definitely want to take in take-down condition. I have a hard case for it, but not the kind one would pack through on an airline (probably would be not be accepted anyway) - be nice if I was traveling by ship in the 1920s!

SKBs smaller cases in the same line would still work wonders with a Double. You could pack it assembled or disassembled, as the interior foam compresses quite nicely upon closure. If the 2-rifle case were selected, the 2 pieces would be quite far apart in the case. If the 4-rifle case, 1 piece could be fitted in each side-although it's way too large for a double-rifle! I'm guessing you're looking for a very short, compact, lightweight, easy-to-carry case (as the SKBs are quite large!) I'd still use it, as I'd be bringing a medium rifle along or even a spare DG gun. Good luck! You might want to ask Niles at Safari Outfitters, Ltd. in Millbrook, NY as I'm certain he's seen every type of case imaginable-and may have a pile of 'em! Last comment-although many specialty cases are made by Pelican, SKB, et. al., they may not specifically state "double-rifle" case, but ones are available in the dimensions you seek....

'Just an example, but I'd think that the properly sized instrument case for your disassembled double (i.e. trumpet) with uncut foam lining work just fine. Here's the example of a case that would work but I think they have 40 available options... https://nalpak.com/skb-iseries-3i-2918-10-case

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 9.51.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 9.51.17 AM.png
    750.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 9.51.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 9.51.18 AM.png
    659.1 KB · Views: 149

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg