Double Pedestal Mount Question

Scandalous Bob

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
My wife and I have booked our first safari for April 2022. We will both be hunting kudu and are considering taxidermy options if we are successful. If finances allow, we would really like a double pedestal mount like the image below. For crating/shipping, and to potentially get it down our 3' wide stairway to our basement, is it possible for the horns or the mounts (or both) to be removable from the base?

Kudu-Double-Pedestal.jpg

I would expect each mount is removable... I have a triple pedestal mount (springbok, blesbok & impala) and they all removed from the base & each other.

It will likely be shipped with horns removed and well wrapped. The actual mounts are likely slid down onto a steel rod attached to the base. So they should just lift off. This also let's you turn them if you wish.

I have a triple pedestal with a 59+ kudu, Nyala and bushbuck. All three are on separate steel tubing and I have two kudu and a gemsbok and a waterbuck with removable horns for easier shipping and assembly.

That will be an outstanding mount!!

That will be an outstanding mount!!

Thanks slam. We hope so! On your triple pedestal did you specifically request for the mounts to be removable or did they just automatically do it that way? Did it cost any extra?

Maybe I'm overthinking this. Is just standard for any multiple pedestal mount to have all mounts removable for crating/shipping?

My wife and I have booked our first safari for April 2022. We will both be hunting kudu and are considering taxidermy options if we are successful. If finances allow, we would really like a double pedestal mount like the image below. For crating/shipping, and to potentially get it down our 3' wide stairway to our basement, is it possible for the horns or the mounts (or both) to be removable from the base?

View attachment 420384
Robert of Wild Images in Motion does really great work! And will easily customize anything exactly like you are asking. The dip and pack operators in Africa will very likely remove the horns and cut the inner bone so that they simply slide or in the case of spirals, screw right back on. Robert does most of my work and my next hunt will all be dip and pack to him. Shipping from Africa has become way to volatile and potentially expensive to the point it can be more than the taxidermy. By doing dip and pack, you are shipping the smallest possible package.

Nothing against the good African taxidermist's, just the economic situation right now....

@Scandalous Bob To the best of my understanding, the way that you are describing is the way that they are typically done. (Without any special request or extra cost) Horns removable from mount. Mounts removable from pedestal. Standard procedure.
Good to be thinking ahead though!!

Last edited:
Robert of Wild Images in Motion does really great work! And will easily customize anything exactly like you are asking. The dip and pack operators in Africa will very likely remove the horns and cut the inner bone so that they simply slide or in the case of spirals, screw right back on. Robert does most of my work and my next hunt will all be dip and pack to him. Shipping from Africa has become way to volatile and potentially expensive to the point it can be more than the taxidermy. By doing dip and pack, you are shipping the smallest possible package.

Nothing against the good African taxidermist's, just the economic situation right now....
That is no joke, our quote was over 5k for shipping. Now to be fair we have 15 mounts some big one as well. It is still cheaper than having it done stateside. I believe they will do a good job. Will report when we receive them.

That is no joke, our quote was over 5k for shipping. Now to be fair we have 15 mounts some big one as well. It is still cheaper than having it done stateside. I believe they will do a good job. Will report when we receive them.
Air or Ocean freight? $5k sounds cheap for 15 mounts including some big ones.

Ocean, 5400.00 is the quote as of now.

Way more expensive than it used to be. I'm sure it's hurting the African taxidermists, as the main reason that some people were using them was for the cost savings.

Thanks slam. We hope so! On your triple pedestal did you specifically request for the mounts to be removable or did they just automatically do it that way? Did it cost any extra?

Maybe I'm overthinking this. Is just standard for any multiple pedestal mount to have all mounts removable for crating/shipping?
We spoke about the room it would go in and moving the mounts in the future. It is quite common that horns are shipped off the mount!

Ocean, 5400.00 is the quote as of now.
Sounds about right. I have something similar coming at a similar cost. 13 critters but many full mounts and a 12' tall giraffe pedestal.

Thanks everyone! We're trying to pin down our budget for taxidermy & shipping and this is all very helpful.

Sounds about right. I have something similar coming at a similar cost. 13 critters but many full mounts and a 12' tall giraffe pedestal.
1 buff shoulder, 1 Eland shoulder, 1 Sable shoulder, 1 Kudu shoulder, 1 Waterbuck shoulder, 1 Gemsbok shoulder, 1 blue and black wildebeest shoulder, 1 common and black impala shoulder, 1 red heartabeast shoulder, 1 blesboc shoulder, 1 Springbok shoulder, 1 warthog, and a Zebra rug. I know it will be a large crate but I don't believe it will be as large as yours but I could be wrong.

☝️That's quite the haul!!!

1 buff shoulder, 1 Eland shoulder, 1 Sable shoulder, 1 Kudu shoulder, 1 Waterbuck shoulder, 1 Gemsbok shoulder, 1 blue and black wildebeest shoulder, 1 common and black impala shoulder, 1 red heartabeast shoulder, 1 blesboc shoulder, 1 Springbok shoulder, 1 warthog, and a Zebra rug. I know it will be a large crate but I don't believe it will be as large as yours but I could be wrong.

This is great! Now I can show this to my wife as proof that our taxidermy list is small and will be very affordable. :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, I'll bet that was an awesome hunt. I'd love to see pictures of those mounts when you get them back.

This is great! Now I can show this to my wife as proof that our taxidermy list is small and will be very affordable. :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, I'll bet that was an awesome hunt. I'd love to see pictures of those mounts when you get them back.
I have a write up of the hunt, I do plan on doing the same once the mounts arrive.

Yes. When I build the bases for pedestal mounts I always make the animals removable as well as the horns if necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross