Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DCS, PHASA, SA Hunters, Xtreem Archery, Rowland Ward, WRSA
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
Hi guys

What do you prefer, a double or bolt action?

This is a debate that I have with my mates and normally just ends up with personal preference.

I like a double for backup and a bolt for hunting..

What is your opinion?

I think they are both good. I like the bolt action, just because they are cheaper. Really no other reason.

For general hunting, a bolt action.

For close up on DG, a double.

Hi guys

What do you prefer, a double or bolt action?

This is a debate that I have with my mates and normally just ends up with personal preference.

I like a double for backup and a bolt for hunting..

What is your opinion?

For our early season hunts, when the bush is green and thick and/or if I have a bow-hunter where our shooting ranges are short, and you have little time to react, it's comforting to have the twin tubes, both primed and ready to rock that buff to his knees during that short space of time you have to get a shot.

For the rest of my season the heavy double gets rested for a nice and light, 4 shot capacity bolt-gun.

PHSC_Adriaan,

Double rifles are the bees knees, but so are well thought-out/well built, CRF bolt action rifles.

I have done 2 out of 4 safaris with two different doubles (and the same with two different bolt actions).

However, if I could only have one rifle to my name in Africa, it would be a scoped and iron sighted, proper CRF Mauser bolt action (.375 H&H, or perhaps a .404 Jeffery, if .404 ammunition ever becomes widely available) so, I guess my vote is for the bolt action.

It's difficult to go wrong with a sturdy bolt action.

Whereas the double is primarily a rather close range tool (fun as hell though).

Regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
My S2 in .375 with a scope is almost as accurate a rifle as my best mauser. BUT it is heavier and I did use the words "almost as accurate". When I use it in that caliber I do so because it is fun - not because it is better. Put on the .500/416 barrels and it becomes a different weapon entirely, and I would prefer it in a close encounter to my .404 Jeffery mauser.

Good morning Red Leg,

I'm a rifle enthusiast but I do not know what an S2 is.

So, I googled it and found it to be a "Samsung S-II" - smart phone or I-phone or whatever they call them these days.

Guessing it is some brand or another of double rifle, because you mentioned having spare barrels in another caliber for it.

I will stand by for your response.

Thank you in advance,
Velo Dog.

Blaser S2 Double Rifle.

Ok, for me if I could only have one of the two I'd have to go with a Bolt Gun. But I sure would love me some 9.3x74r double gun! I'm still working on that option...it hasn't quite happened yet but I'm getting closer and closer!

Rnovi,

Thanks for the answer to my S2 question, I figured it had to be some sort of DR when he mentioned the spare set of .500/416 barrels.

Back prior to the wheel, an elementary school Teacher told my parents she was worried about my cognitive learning skills because I was puzzled as to how "normal" boys could memorize so many Pro. Baseball Player's names or, why they would even want to.

So, I will make it a point to remember the Blazer S2.

Regarding a 9.3x74R double:
There is a Chapuis brand (well made/sturdy/reliable, by reputation) 9.3 side by side, on Guns International, Used Guns For Sale Online, Antique Guns, Collectible Firearms, listed by screen name "Blackbern", for $5,275.
Also, on gunsinternational.com is a Krieghoff (needs no introduction), SxS, in your caliber, under the screen name of Champlin Arms, for $5,900.

The currently made Sabatti (Italian) SxS is available in your caliber for around $3,000. I think, unless they've raised the price recently.

Their 9.3 version is a decent looking rifle but, their other version in 450.400 Nitro 3" up to .500 Nitro 3" is rather gaudy/flashy/adorned with what look like in-cast decorations, satin nickel plate receiver, to resemble engraving but, it's not as attractive a rifle with its fake engraving/nickel finish look, compared to the more down-to-earth looking 9.3, in my old man/traditionalist opinion.

Having fired that cartridge in 3 different types of rifles (O/U, drilling and single shot), I can say that the recoil feels less than it should be for the power level/penetration that the 9.3 delivers down range - very fine hunting cartridge by reputation.

Best regards,
Velo Dog

Velo, thank you for the suggestions. The real challenge for me is finding a dealer near me that carries them at all. Which, well, right. Pretty much "no".

Merkel makes the B3 (o/u config) and the 161 (sxs) variants. I've shouldered them and wow are they quick handling. They are built on a 28ga. frame and a slim and light. They are also "owner regulated" meaning you can make minor adjustments to the barrels via set screws to adjust the regulation. Nice touch!

The Kriegoff is built on a 20ga. frame and feels just a bit chunky to me. But at $5900 it's a heckuva deal. I like the K-Gun cockers. This would be for non DG hunting so the cocking is nice.

Chapuis - darned if they don't have fine wood! But alas, no dealers yet again.

Sabatti - about the only gun that has a worse Double Rifle rep might be Baikal...

I'm glad to hear about the recoil. I'm sure it's a stout hit in a lightweight 6.5# Merkel but in a 7.5# gun it should be darn nice!

Good morning Red Leg,

I'm a rifle enthusiast but I do not know what an S2 is.

So, I googled it and found it to be a "Samsung S-II" - smart phone or I-phone or whatever they call them these days.

Guessing it is some brand or another of double rifle, because you mentioned having spare barrels in another caliber for it.

I will stand by for your response.

Thank you in advance,
Velo Dog.

Blaser S2 - Typical Teutonic engineering with a three barrel set of .500/416, .375, and 30-06. All three right barrels shot MOA and composite groups or 2.5 for four rounds at 100 meters. My favorite 9.3x72's are a pre-war Austrian double rifle, and a pre-war German guild double rifle drilling. They are almost petite, and yet throw serious leather.

Adriaan i think it is what you are used to using and are most comfortable with. if the choice was bolt action i would be happy with my .350 rigby and .416 rigby as all you would need, but as i am kinda into doubles my jeffery 9.3x74r and my lang .470 would be my choice if i could only have 2 rifles.

Hi again rnovi,

I totally understand.

And I agree that the barely used Krieghoff at Champlin Arms is a heckuva deal.

The weights you mentioned seem a bit light for this cartridge but, I did not weigh any of the 3 that I fired (only at targets, not game animals unfortunately).

Incidentally, all 3 belonged to the same person.

One was a Beretta O/U (double triggers, spare 20 gauge shotgun barrels).
One was a Simpson drilling (12/12 shotgun over the rifle barrel).
One was a Ruger #1 single shot.

I do not know what any of them weighed but, all seemed heavy enough for the recoil (8.5 to 9 lb maybe, just a guess).

Recoil was only a bit more than a .30-06 / 220 grain, understandably similar to the .35 Whelen / 250 grain but, not up to the level of a .375 H&H with any bullet weight factory ammo.

I have watched the above mentioned owner shoot PG with the drilling on one safari and with the Ruger #1 on another safari (286 gr Nosler Partitions) and it is a smasher, without so much recoil.

Get yourself that 9.3x74R, you owe it to yourself to be happy.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Red Leg,

Thanks for the clarification on the S2, I'm behind the times most of the time.

The three sets of barrels / diversified calibers sounds interesting and adaptable for pretty much everything one might care to hunt, and they're accurate as well.

"The most dangerous animal walks on it's hind legs".

Cheerio,
Velo Dog.

The 9.3x74R is very similar to the 9.3x62 in performance and they are both great cartridges.
A perfect cartridge if you want to use a double when hunting PG. And it is good for buffs too where it is legal.

I grew up hunting birds with an old stevens side by side. My dad didn't hunt hunt big game so I learned to bow hunt and hunted varmints with a rifle. While in the military I shot an many different ranges in Germany and got to shoot some nice drillings and bolt guns. However about 5 years ago I got to shoot my first double rifle, 500NE Merkel and it was love at first shots (Now have traded saved and acquired a couple doubles:) . I shoot every thing from 17 fireball to 500BPE and have also enjoyed some fine old sharps rifles. So my first choice is a double (Just need to stalk closer) second in a good muzzle loader in 12bore or bigger., then Single shot of most any kind and then a bolt gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg