AH fanatic
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Rowland Ward (RW) & Association des Guides de Grande Chasse (AGGC)
Hunted
senegal, guinea, ivory coast, burkina faso, benin, cameroun, central africa, tanzania, zimbabwe, south africa
Who made a double on BUFFALO ????
Any stories to share?
I was fortunate to make a double myself and with hunters in 3 countries, TANZANIA, BENIN and CENTRAL AFRICA.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Nice double on Buffaloes in CAR

watermark.php

Double on Buffalo, hunt in the Selous, Tanzania

watermark.php

Double on Buffalo, hunting in CAR

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Christophe,

WOW ! excellent buffs you got there , must have had been an outstanding experience dropping them 1:2 , caliber you used ???? would like to know the hunt report .....

Monish

Monish,
The easiest was the cape buffaloes in Tanzania, I had 2 Russian hunters. One dropped on his tracks the one on the left of the picture, the rest of the herd stood still and I said to the second hunter to shot the one on the right of the picture, what he did...... 2 shots, 2 hunters, 2 buffs with my 404 Jeffery.....
Those from Benin was another story!!! I had 2 french hunters, were followed 3 buff bulls, when we got them one hunter shot the red one, good shot, as the black buff appears in the gap I said to my friend, the second hunter to shoot. Unfortunately he was running full speed and went in the tall grass as he fired.... it took us 3 hours to finish him. They shot with 375 HH
Those from CAR, I was with a South African hunter. Early morning we were looking for buff spoors as we bumped into 3 bulls. He shot the red one first at 20m front side, one shot kill with his 375 HH. As we got close to the dead bull the black one was looking at us 35m away, he shot off hand and the buff ran away with a broken right front leg. After a while we got him and he fired again and the beast vanished in a bako, very thick !!!! I had to backed him up with my 458 lott. They were 300m to each other.
Buffalo hunting is always great moments and experience for me..

Christophe, thats a brilliant report , I can well imagine how adrenaline driven hunts they all must have had been , Congrats !! on bagging the double buffs . You bet, the dagga boys always give you the best of hunting excitement. and you are a lucky hunter......

Thanks

Monish

christophe morio;bt31 said:
Monish,
The easiest was the cape buffaloes in Tanzania, I had 2 Russian hunters. One dropped on his tracks the one on the left of the picture, the rest of the herd stood still and I said to the second hunter to shot the one on the right of the picture, what he did...... 2 shots, 2 hunters, 2 buffs with my 404 Jeffery.....
Those from Benin was another story!!! I had 2 french hunters, were followed 3 buff bulls, when we got them one hunter shot the red one, good shot, as the black buff appears in the gap I said to my friend, the second hunter to shoot. Unfortunately he was running full speed and went in the tall grass as he fired.... it took us 3 hours to finish him. They shot with 375 HH
Those from CAR, I was with a South African hunter. Early morning we were looking for buff spoors as we bumped into 3 bulls. He shot the red one first at 20m front side, one shot kill with his 375 HH. As we got close to the dead bull the black one was looking at us 35m away, he shot off hand and the buff ran away with a broken right front leg. After a while we got him and he fired again and the beast vanished in a bako, very thick !!!! I had to backed him up with my 458 lott. They were 300m to each other.
Buffalo hunting is always great moments and experience for me..

I just got back from a cull in SA. 2 singles, 2 doubles and the grand finale a triple. 458 win mag. A-square dead tough ammo. Started June 2 late and finished June 9th 830 am. I was the only hunter, Darren Baker PH. As you could imagine, each is quite a story. Had videographer and have plenty pics, but have not figured how to post here.

I got a double in Mozambique in 2004. I dont no how to attach pictures any more or I would send a picture. Both prty good bulls by luck, barnes X bullets really penitrate.

Double D,

Oh ! must have had been a great experience of a life time , post the pics. please . I wish to do a double on buffs in 2011 , lets see if I would succeed ...... .460 Weatherby Magnum would come very handy .........

Monish

Double D;bt44 said:
I got a double in Mozambique in 2004. I dont no how to attach pictures any more or I would send a picture. Both prty good bulls by luck, barnes X bullets really penitrate.

hi Christophe

my name is Linus i am 17. i have had the opportunity to hunt a lot in Tanzania i shoot my first buffaloes 2010 an it was a double i shoot with a 375 h&h mag. 4 shoots on the first one and 9 on the second it was weary exiting. i am going to a hunting school in Sweden and i will take my exams in the summer of 2012, after that i hop to go to Tanzania an go to a PH school in Mochi.

I have doubled on Cape Buffalo many times in that I have been involved in a number of cull hunts early on in my younger years. While sport hunting I have also made a couple of doubles both in Tanzania and in Zimbabwe with both the double rifle and bolt rifles.
While I love the double rifle, if push comes to shove I still probably prefer a high capacity bolt gun (drop box) in a 40 caliber. I have seen bull buffalo take as many as 9 shots in one ocassion and 15 in another with .470s and 500 doubles and I have both instances on film. That is what changed my direction in choice of rifle actions for DG, including Buffalo, Lion and Hippo. For elephant the double is unheralded IMO. However such ab opinion is certainly up for discussion for sure, and probably boils down to individual choice.

Yes double on buffalo is always something special, you never know when it's happen. I had a couple (husband and wife) last year in Tanzania and they made a nice double, it was easy because they were 2 duggas bays together. This year in february I had 2 brothers from England, first buffalo hunt, after 3 hours tracking the buff, we found the herd and 2 bulls were on a side of the lying herd. They shot them both, one shot each with a 416 Rigby. It is not easy when you have 2 hunters and 1 rifle. Check the pictures, how happy they are!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warren03T

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross