Double Gun Regulation and Load Development

MMAL

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Jersey, New York, Wyoming, Colorado, Mexico, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Namibia
I am asking the most knowledgeable community I know in this area for some advice.

Backstory: I have a Kreighoff 500/416 NE that I used in 2018 for a buffalo, kudu and impala in Makuti, Zim. I used it even though I was not happy with the groups I was getting at the time. Used Hornady Bonded DGX and DGS for the loads, factory as I could not get any load I developed with Woodleighs to group better.

After I came back I sent the rifle to Kreighoff to be re-regulated, I had Hendershot load swift A-Frames at 2250 FPS. (Kreighoff will NOT regulate to hand loads but will accept Hendershot etc). I got the rifle back showing an 1 1/2 right left group at 50 M. Not really happy with that but lets work now.

The Hendershot Swift A-Frames were actually shooting at 2125 FPS by my chrono. I worked up my old loads of Woodleigh 410 grain softs using H1000, Swift A-Frames with IMR 4350 and H 4831, DGS with IMR 4350 and H 4831 and my old stock of northfork cup solids with H1000.

Today: Great day at the range, after working my ladder I came to four great loads that print great.

Swift A-Frames: 97 grs of H4831, R/L touching each other at 50M exactly on point of aim. avg: 2210 FPS
DGS: 95 grs of H4831 R/L 1/2 inch apart, 1/2 inch left of point of aim. Avg. 2110 FPS
Woodleigh 410 gr soft (all others 400 grain): 106 grains of H1000, R/L group 3/4 inch apart, 2 inch low and 2 inch left from point of aim. Avg. 2175 FPS
Northfork 400 gr Cup Solid: 105 grains of H1000, R/L Touching each other, 2 inch High on point of aim, Avg. 2250 FPS.

So good news is I have four very usable working loads and the re-regulation of the gun worked out great. Now I am heading to the Caprivi in Sept for Elephant, Hippo, Buffalo and plains game. Only bringing this gun and I need solids and should bring softs.

Other good news is I have a red-dot mounted on the gun, thus the point of aim can be moved.

Thus my question is should I should load up the swift a-frames (my preference for soft) and the DGS (not my preference) and be done, or should I start playing with the Northfork? If so, how would the serious reloaders go about it for the Northfolk. Will reducing the speed to 2110 bring them down, does it work that way?

Should I put the red dot 1 inch higher and texas windage it? Or just swift and DGS it? Thoughts on what you would do next? Thank you in advance for your collective knowledge and collective wise ass comments which I encourage also. Take care.

Swift and DGS. You have a solution.

Coming from you red leg I think I’m good then. I do love those north forks though.

I second DGS (solid) and A Frame (soft). Good combo IF you can get them to print together, from either barrel.

At the risk of opening the Pandora box on the ever going and umpteenth time rehashed DGX issue, I highly recommend the new DGX Bonded. It is as different from an older non-bonded DGX as a Swift A Frame is from an original Nosler Partition. In so many words, it is exactly the same, except that it is bonded and the lead core therefore sticks to the jacket at the front ... which makes both A Frame and DGX Bonded completely new and fundamentally different bullets compared to the older non-bonded DGX and non-bonded Partition...

DGS and DGX Bonded really have identical barrel timing (at least in my Krieghoff .470) and print nice composite groups.

As to DGX B and SAF compared impact behavior, see the recent thread https://www.africahunting.com/threads/ammunition-test-hornady-dgx-bonded-vs-swift-a-frame.55263/

upload_2020-2-17_22-33-28.png

Last edited:
You have solid working loads with the swift Aframe and Hornaday solids, don't muck with anything and take them and go have a great trip. That way you won't feel the added stress of having to rush into load development for the Northfork, worry about hold over etc.

It looks like you have your answer, good luck and GOOD HUNTING!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.