Double Bow Case suggestions for 1st trip to SA

Azuplander

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I am planning my 1st trip to SA this August I am so excited I can't hardly stand myself. I have been bowhunting now for 37 years now. I am looking for a good double bow case to travel with does anyone have any suggestions? I have looked at the SKB's, and have one of thier single bow cases but they are so heavy. Any suggestions?:confused:

Look at the double case made by Pole Mountain. I used mine in 2010 and got my bow and accessories and all my clothes in the one case. I carried only one bow as my best friend shoots the same set up and my PH also has bows set up identical to length and weight I shoot.

Thank You I appreciate the help. There seems to be some controversy whether the airlines will aloow 2 bows or not. Whats your experience been?

Oh, since I just travelled once with a bow, and we were 2 people with 2 bowcases (although both bows were in one of them), I have no big experience... maybe one of the "flight-mile-collectors" :) can tell...?

The SKB double bow case is not that much heavier than the single bow case. I wouldn't carry my bow on any commercial airline in anything but an SKB bow case. Contact the airline(s) that you will be flying on for their policy but I don't know of any that has a number restriction.

The SKB cases are great cases, but the problem I have with them is the starting weight. By the time you get your bow or 2 bows and accessories in there you are probably going to be pushing the 50# weight limit. Hard to get much in a case that is somewhere between 25 and 30#'s empty, but they do offer the insurance coverage and are hard to beat. Look at the videos of the Pole Mountain, they just might impress you and they are very lightweight to start in comparison to other cases.

My SKB double bow case weighs 21 pounds empty. That is in comparison to my Tuffpak rifle case that weighs 17 pounds empty. For me, I have had zero trouble getting two bows and all my archery gear in the SKB case and come close to the 50# weight limit. I guess I have been lucky.

I wonder what the difference is in the SKB cases? My best friend has a double /skb and the empty weight on it is 31#'s. that is the reason i posted what I did. 21#'s is not bad to start with, but still a good bit heavier than my Pole Mountain at 11#'s.

Badlands makes a light weight rolling duffle that has a section in the bottom for a bow, So we've split the load, single bow and some clothes for padding in the hard side bow case and then put the second bow, padded with clothes in the badlands bag. This can push the weight limit, but it's either extra bag fee's, extra weight fee's or go without things. :)

I still think the best option of all is no case. Seriously.

On my very first trip with a beautiful SKB double bow case, the porters and police at JHB had a field day. I had to answer questions, sign forms, pay bribes (Oh, i mean tips) and all sorts of other B.S. Totally not worth it.

Since that day i bought a rolling duffel with a drop bottom/zippered compartment at the bottom. I load my bows (one compound/one recurve) in the bottom wrapped in clothes and foam. Arrows go in fly rod tubes and MTM arrow cases.

When you pick up your bag at the carousel, you magically walk right out without having to mess with anyone! It's the way to go.

I'm with Tom on this one. No bow case at all. I took SKB cases on my first two trips and the only hassle was waiting an hour at the police station to pick them up so it wasn't an overall terrible experience. Last year I put two bows in a coleman mammoth duffel and padded it with clothes and padding and picked it up off the carousel and was on my way without a look. Definately the way I'm going from now on. If you pick this route I would also suggest not looking like a hunter, i.e. no camo hat or camo daypack as a carry on.

I'm with Tom on this one. No bow case at all. I took SKB cases on my first two trips and the only hassle was waiting an hour at the police station to pick them up so it wasn't an overall terrible experience. Last year I put two bows in a coleman mammoth duffel and padded it with clothes and padding and picked it up off the carousel and was on my way without a look. Definately the way I'm going from now on. If you pick this route I would also suggest not looking like a hunter, i.e. no camo hat or camo daypack as a carry on.

I'm going in june on first safari, we will be in South Africa, I'm taking may bow to hunt a few days in their bow only area. From these post do I not need to go thru SAP office w/ a bow? What documentation/ red tape do I need follow? Any advice for another first timer. I was planing on taking my badlands bag to transport the bow n all my gear.
thanks

I see both sides of this discussion. What one has to decide is what is more of a hassle...
the unpleasant airport delay when using a bow case or possible damaged equipment using a duffel bag. I like the idea of having my bow and accessories well protected. At this time I use the new designed SKB model#2SKB-4119. The case is ATA specification 300, category
1 rated (a minimum of 100 trips by air) with TSA recognized and accepted unbreakable fiberglass reinforced nylon trigger release latches. The case has a $1500 product protection coverage if your gear is damaged by an airline when traveling. The empty weight for the new single bow case is 17lbs. Due to the new thicker design I can pack two bows, arrows, accessories and still keep the weight at 50lbs.
This isn't an endorsement for this product. I do see the advantage of being hassle-free and I would be interested in a well designed rolling duffel bag that could offer them same protection. I wonder if there is a duffel bag that I could fit my bow case into?

I am discussing the question about having a separate bow case or not when I go to SA again for some bow hunting.
Last year I brought a gun together with my bow, so I had to endure the red tape.

It was not a big problem really and no bribes was needed, but it took time.
That was not a problem when arriving as I had plenty of time for my flight to Kimberley, but when going home, my flight from Kimberley was very much delayed resulting in me just making the boarding to Frankfurt because of the time it took with my gun and bow case.

I really want to use my bow case to protect my bow and arrows, but I also want to avoid as much hassle as possible.
So I am considering the same as you Stretch. A duffel bag large enough for my bow case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuigrande

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross