Doping The Wind - I'm Clueless, Are You?

What do you think the wind speed is? Miles Per Hour

• 15-20

• 20-25

• 25-30

• 30-35

• 35-40

• 40-45

• 45-50

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I am not an expert, not a trained sniper. Wind is my nemesis when it comes to shooting as I am clueless on how to properly address it in longer range shots.

Apparently there are plenty who can join me in being clueless and some who are both clueless AND unethical. Noted in this thread.
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/rules-for-long-range-shooting.28474/

I have not put in the effort to research wind drift properly and my answer is to just keep getting closer until the wind is irrelevant.

This video depicts the wind conditions up high in the Drakensberg last winter when I was hunting Vaalie's.

For those of you who may have a clue: What do you think the wind speed is?
Multiply by 1.60934 for KPH.

Last edited:
Video fails to load. Server or network failure OR format not supported. ???

Video fails to load. Server or network failure OR format not supported. ???
You may want to reload the page, update your browser or try a different one.

Probably should have included I'm on an Android Cell Phone.

The important conclusion is that the wind speed is strong with even stronger gusts and the direction is extremely variable in the video clip. I would guess 20+ mph for constant speed with some gusts over 30+ mph. For direction it starts at about 20 degrees to the left of straight on, then switches to almost 90 degrees from the right and then to almost 0 degrees head on .... so, I agree with Brickburn that this is a get close enough to ignore the wind day (<150 yards with 300 win mag ... no clue with the bow!)

I'll add in some information.
I am not a small stature and I was having to lean into those gusts or be blown over onto my butt.

Probably should have included I'm on an Android Cell Phone.
The video works for me on iPhone. Can someone with an Android phone let us know if the video plays for them? Thanks.

It is hard to tell by looking at the short vegetation. Large vegetation, if available would help. Your microphone makes it sound fast. My guess is sustained wind speed of 25mph with guests to 35, possibly 40. Not sure what my vote should be though.

I do know I wouldn't be on a sailboat on a day like this.

Did you have an anemometer with you? If so I will be looking forward to the readings.

The anemometer that WAS located nearby was torn out of the ground by sustained winds that its least measurement reading at over 240 KPH.
Thankfully, not the day I was there.

I did not have a gadget along with me that day, but I am looking to find some historical weather data for the date and perhaps we can figure it out.

I'm not an expert but for basic wind age it's not too bad. If you know your wind drift it's a simple math calculation in min of angle. So at 200 yards in a 10 mph wind if wind drift is 2 inches then you know 1 min of angle at 200 yards is 2 inches then 2/2 is 1 MOA. On most scopes each click is 1/4 MOA so 4 clicks puts you on target. That's assuming a 90degree wind. If it's at a 45 degree angle then it's 3/4 MOA at the given distance. I it's quartering then it would be half. If hope that makes since. I've got some charts and graphs on it I can post if that will help that will probably explain it better.

Please post them.

Guessing wind speed without a device is going to be a huge part of this process.

Ok gimmie a few days. I'm guiding a hunt will do so when I get back.

Please post them.

Guessing wind speed without a device is going to be a huge part of this process.
WeatherFlow Wind Meter

61loZM2vSlL._SL1000_.jpg

Damn good find.
Another toy to take along next time.

I just found a historical record for a nearby weather station.

The station is at 5870 Feet / 1790 M. Not at 8600 Feet so take that into account.

Aug 13 the wind was averaging 21KPH and sustained gusts at 45KPH 26 MPH.

Down on the flats to mountain tops are obviously two different worlds.

I heard much later on that the weather system caused the only South African ski hill to shut its lifts down that day.

We's all from Oklahoma 'round here.......judging the wind just means whether you can get on a ladder that day or wait. I had to adjust to the wind hunting pronghorn in New Mexico in a 25 mile an hour crosswind with a .223. the 300 yd shot I held on the tip of his nose and hit him square behind the shoulder. Different rounds (mainly by weight) are affected more or less by wind. also the wind between you and the target may be different than where you are standing. I'm with you Brick, if you don't know get closer where it doesn't matter.

Well you're not alone Brickburn. Nobody can dope the wind every time, especially prior to the first shot.

I have been hunting whitetails up in the far North Texas Panhandle for almost 20 years. The premier sniper trainer today has his training classes up there periodically, as well as Utah. One reason he trains them up there is that there is an ever present wind. Anyway, the ranch foreman where I hunt is good friends with him, so on several occasions I've gotten to go watch these guys shoot. I've seen guys shoot from Canada, Israel, and various US forces. These guys are pros, it's what they do, and they do not hit the target the first shot every time unless there is very little to no wind. In other words, very seldom. For one thing, the wind usually gusts, swirls, or a combo of the two. Also, often times the wind is doing something different at the muzzle than it is at mid-range or even at the target. Yes, they use mirage, etc to get their dope, but once again, there is no guarantee they will hit it the first shot. Probably not a good idea to let them shoot twice though......I've seen them smack prarie dogs many times at 1000m.

I've also got to talk to David Tubb several times over the years. He has a bit of an ego, but can't take away the fact he's won like 12 Camp Perry's in his career. He's a wealth of knowledge, and he can't dope wind 100% of the time either.

Moral to the story.....you better have the right equipment and endless amounts of practice to be able to succeed. Even then, without wind flags or a spotter helping you get the dope, it's basically an educated guess the first shot, in swirling, gusting winds. When the wind is dead calm it's easy. I can even do it then with a Leupold CDS setup.

Reading the wind…

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.38.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.38.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.38.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.38.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.38.43 PM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg