Don't you just love this sound?

pink...pink is the best I can manage with a pair of rimless .30-'06's. I try to call them .300-'06's for effect but most people know better... :)
Until the video arrives how about phflonk, phflonk...

I've shot a 500/416 and instantly knew I needed a DR after that. I think there is a diminishing recoil effect. The difference between 6,5x55 and 30-06 seems more substantial than between 6,5x55 and 30-06 and so on. The 500/416 was quite shootable and I think a 500 NE is an itch I need to scratch for sure. Taking it to Africa is a bonus but not a requirement considering people buy Jet skis and whatnot without any utility...
I meant to say the the relative recoil between 375 H&H and 30-06 feels lighter than for 30-06 and 6,5x55.

As the others said it sounds much better in person!

I sold off some surplus guns I had, as well as some optics I wasn't using, and now have my double and Swarovski Binoculars. Hopefully both see a lot of use for many years.

Scotch was on sale today too so it's just starting as an awesome day!

@BourbonTrail I hope you do get a double, it isn't like it is am expense as one can easily recover his money.

A double rifle is just a fun investment that brings a hell of a lot more joy than any stock or mutual fund! Much less chance of losing money too!

Craig

I sold off some surplus guns I had, as well as some optics I wasn't using, and now have my double and Swarovski Binoculars. Hopefully both see a lot of use for many years.

@BourbonTrail I hope you do get a double, it isn't like it is am expense as one can easily recover his money.

A double rifle is just a fun investment that brings a hell of a lot more joy than any stock or mutual fund! Much less chance of losing money too!

Craig
Quite right Craig, provided you choose a mechanically reliable one. A pretty well worn Merkel 500 recently sold in Zimbabwe for US$10 000. Good, plain, solid doubles hold their value, the fancy additions mean little to a buyer though.

Quite right Craig, provided you choose a mechanically reliable one. A pretty well worn Merkel 500 recently sold in Zimbabwe for US$10 000. Good, plain, solid doubles hold their value, the fancy additions mean little to a buyer though.

In Canada most are pretty much like new I think. They wouldn't get the use that they would in Africa. Most wouldn't anyway. I think that would apply to most of the rifles here in 375 and up.

The one I recently purchased supposedly had only a box of shells fired through it. The 500 that @Quaticman purchased here looked about new as well!

I think the smaller caliber doubles would get fired a bunch more.

Merkel ,Krieghoff and Heym seem to be the ones that occasionally come up for sale.

Last edited:
In Canada most are pretty much like new I think. They wouldn't get the use that they would in Africa. Most wouldn't anyway. I think that would apply to most of the rifles here in 375 and up.

The one I recently purchased supposedly had only a box of shells fired through it. The 500 that @Quaticman purchased here looked about new as well!

I think the smaller caliber doubles would get fired a bunch more.

Merkel ,Krieghoff and Heym seem to be the ones that occasionally come up for sale.

My .500 Nitro had exactly 6 rounds fired, 3 per barrel. The guy said he couldn't handle the recoil. His loss, my gain.

Craig
It's on the wish list. The only double I ever owned was a Baikal O/U field 12g, built like a traditional Russian brick outhouse. Closing the action was like closing the main vault of the Bank of England - kerrrrrchunk !. I traded it for a Mossberg - silly boy.

It's on the wish list. The only double I ever owned was a Baikal O/U field 12g, built like a traditional Russian brick outhouse. Closing the action was like closing the main vault of the Bank of England - kerrrrrchunk !. I traded it for a Mossberg - silly boy.
Do you want to buy a Baikal SxS?

Do you want to buy a Baikal SxS?
No thanks all the same. I've had a few SBS's. The Mossberg has been cut down (legally) to a stubby and rethreaded for the chokes, and is ideal for close quarter combat with ninja rabbits and piglets. I'm actually getting fond of it compared to a half ton of O/U.

No thanks all the same. I've had a few SBS's. The Mossberg has been cut down (legally) to a stubby and rethreaded for the chokes, and is ideal for close quarter combat with ninja rabbits and piglets. I'm actually getting fond of it compared to a half ton of O/U.
I wouldn't buy it either, it has a sharp kick, but it would be cheap to the right person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.