Don't you just love this sound?

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Kerplunk, kerplunk, the sound of two big Nitro Express cartridges dropping into the chambers of your double rifle.

5528906771_281ab8a091_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed I do !
In fact I opened the safe today, took out Beretta DR and dropped a couple of new handloads in just hear that sound. Tomorrow is range day for my .458 DR with several fresh handloads to see which regulate best! Boom, boom, boom, boom!
Presently loading range bag for tomorrow.

Indeed I do !
In fact I opened the safe today, took out Beretta DR and dropped a couple of new handloads in just hear that sound. Tomorrow is range day for my .458 DR with several fresh handloads to see which regulate best! Boom, boom, boom, boom!
Presently loading range bag for tomorrow.
place an audio file on this forum please crs so we less fortunates can share vicariously

place an audio file on this forum please crs so we less fortunates can share vicariously
+1. I've never even seen a double rifle in person. But, I've seen pictures/videos of them so I know they exist. I don't know what sound the cartridges make when loading them, so please include an audio. Thanks!

In my limited experience, the kerplunk sound is not limited to double rifles. In fact I get a really good kerplunk when dropping a heavy 45-90 (.458 2.4 ) round into my1886 45-90- of course there is only one chamber. The acoustics of my .405 DR are the best of my lot. :)
I need to give this more thought tomorrow at the rifle range as I will be dropping many loaded rounds before firing. Plus, my son maybe able to tell me how to record the kerplunk sound.

In my limited experience, the kerplunk sound is not limited to double rifles. In fact I get a really good kerplunk when dropping a heavy 45-90 (.458 2.4 ) round into my1886 45-90- of course there is only one chamber. The acoustics of my .405 DR are the best of my lot. :)
I need to give this more thought tomorrow at the rifle range as I will be dropping many loaded rounds before firing. Plus, my son maybe able to tell me how to record the kerplunk sound.
We know what kerplunk-kerplunk sounds like crs, it's that kaboom kaboom we really want to hear !

My father loved them too, he made me got interested in sheet shooting early in life.

CE,
Had lots of Boom boom at the range yesterday and came home with one great load for my DR and a couple more promising ones. Have to meet up with my son to go over our targets, but it was a good afternoon.

But back in the day per Gordon Cundill, what often followed was click click boom or worse yet click click nothing! Then things got really interesting... I'll stick with the bolt as he agreed far more versatile super accurate more shots and it doesn't take that much longer to get off those shots!!! Especially when you don't have to put any more rounds in the gun. Technically one should do it but it doesn't always work out that way. Add in some syncerus adrenaline and under those conditions you will need more than two!

My bride and I just returned from 4 weeks of hunting, doing some mission work and touring in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana. I only heard that sound twice (that mattered) - first, in loading my Krieghoff.470 NE before my one shot kill of my first Cape Buffalo and the second - upon loading for my one shot kill of my first Sable. My other favorite sound is the THWACK I heard after a shot with my 375 H&H Mag to the shoulder if a nice old Black Wildebeest at a measured 284 yards. My only disappointment was that, after putting nearly 200 rounds of 470 down range during all kinds of "run and gun" practice and shooting off sticks and off-hand, I only fired my 470 twice the whole time.

... My only disappointment was that, after putting nearly 200 rounds of 470 down range during all kinds of "run and gun" practice and shooting off sticks and off-hand, I only fired my 470 twice the whole time.

The reason you needed only two shots with your .470 was most likely all the practice you did. So, no need for disappointment.

+1. I've never even seen a double rifle in person. But, I've seen pictures/videos of them so I know they exist. I don't know what sound the cartridges make when loading them, so please include an audio. Thanks!
Time to fix that!

My bride and I just returned from 4 weeks of hunting, doing some mission work and touring in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana. I only heard that sound twice (that mattered) - first, in loading my Krieghoff.470 NE before my one shot kill of my first Cape Buffalo and the second - upon loading for my one shot kill of my first Sable. My other favorite sound is the THWACK I heard after a shot with my 375 H&H Mag to the shoulder if a nice old Black Wildebeest at a measured 284 yards. My only disappointment was that, after putting nearly 200 rounds of 470 down range during all kinds of "run and gun" practice and shooting off sticks and off-hand, I only fired my 470 twice the whole time.
What, you got a Krieghoff AND a bride! Life is complete.

I've shot a 500/416 and instantly knew I needed a DR after that. I think there is a diminishing recoil effect. The difference between 6,5x55 and 30-06 seems more substantial than between 6,5x55 and 30-06 and so on. The 500/416 was quite shootable and I think a 500 NE is an itch I need to scratch for sure. Taking it to Africa is a bonus but not a requirement considering people buy Jet skis and whatnot without any utility...

Recorded an audio but it won't let me post that either, says wrong format Ugh!! Sounds awesome though.

Records audio and video in an MP4 format that doesn't seem to be supported , anyone have an idea on what to do to post it?

Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg