Don't waste your time buying sale items from Cabelas / BP

curtism1234

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I share this because it will happen to you. I spent 90 minutes trying to online order a rifle from cabelas bargain cave.

Rifle shows in stock, I go to checkout and enter gift card #'s, website freezes/spins, sometimes it took up to 6 entries of my gift card before it took, finally everything looks great, submit order...and "sorry it's out of stock"

Ok, bummer. I go back online and ordered a slight upgrade version of the same rifle (still a bargain cave item). Same frustrating process - took forever to check out and at the very last second they say they don't have it.

I go back to the website and it still shows in stock

Don't waste your time buying sale items from them, it was never in stock in the first place :A Blowup:

The bargain cave whent away

The actual bargain cave in the stores went away

but, Cabelas still maintains a "bargain cave" page on their website.. its where they list all of their sale and clearance items now (not the same thing as the original "bargain cave" in the stores where they also re-sold returns and items with slight damage, etc)

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bargain-cave-sale-and-clearance?lcab.rdr=TRUE&WT.srch=1&WT.tsrc=PPC&rid=20&WT.mc_id=GOOGLE|Cabela's:+Sale+&+Promotions|USA&WT.z_mc_id1=43700043555997696&gclid=CjwKCAjwjLD4BRAiEiwAg5NBFtChQfEnhhyDYp0BQI5HENWLFeochFTjSfL4t3ty32GsaZCbCcjlshoCdZwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.34.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.34.33 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.34.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.34.35 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.34.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.34.37 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.34.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.34.38 AM.png
    927.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't walked into a Cabela's since the takeover.

I looked at a couple of items in their online catalog and gave up trying to find a decent item for what I was looking for. That Red Head branded stuff is nothing but junk.

As for a firearm I'd try to find it anywhere besides Cabela's/Bass Pro even if it is a bargain from them

I have $500 in gift cards, only reason I'd buy from cabelas / BP. They are at least 10% higher than everyone else

It was a Sunday and I needed some arrows to shoot in a local 3D tournament, Bass Pro was the only place I could get them.

On Monday i received an email from Bass Pro thanking me for my recent visit and ask me if i would help them by completing a brief survey.

Guess they didn't like my responses, since nothing has changed. Guess they'll have to be on the verge of or go into bankruptcy status before they learn they should have listened to their customers.

Private label, softlines, and private label softlines - that's the business plan; rightfully so. Johnny Morris sells guns almost as a loss liter as the sq footage at 10% margin isn't worth it otherwise

WOW that is a pain!

Ever since the takeover, Cabelas has gone way downhill. Bass Pro (which I leave the B off of) and their RedHead gear have long been garbage in my mind, and outside of occasional purchases for specific stock items, I always preferred Cabelas. Then the buyout came, RedHead garbage moved in, AP got rid of bargain caves (which had some great deals to be found), and molded them to be the same store with different names. Now I can hardly stand to go. Used the last of my points and giftcards, and stopped using their card.

I'm in the market for a new bow and they dont even carry most of the major players I wanted to try (Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, Prime).

I dont get how they've grown so large...

I’ve been using Midwayusa and Highby Outdoors. Better prices and it saves me the time of a trip to cabelas. If I want good advice on products, I come to this forum and ask questions. If it is hunting related, someone here has tested it!

My opinion is the same. I have spent a lot of money at Cablelas over the years but wouldn't waste my time going in one these days.

We have a Bass Pro store in town and the only reason I go there is when someone gives me a gift card. Would much rather have cash and buy things much cheaper from other retailers.

Sad to see a great company ruined but we all knew the takeover was just to eliminate competition.

Got a $50 gift card from a friend and went to the website. They must have hired a new, unskilled developer because it's more than a chore to find anything. Even the survey on the new website doesn't work. The brick and mortar stores have morphed in to more of a notions and clothing store, reminds me of the old five and dime stores, only more expensive.

Got a $50 gift card from a friend and went to the website. They must have hired a new, unskilled developer because it's more than a chore to find anything. Even the survey on the new website doesn't work. The brick and mortar stores have morphed in to more of a notions and clothing store, reminds me of the old five and dime stores, only more expensive.
Last time I went I got lost in the dense jungle of flip flops and hoodies. I just wanted to look at guns!!!

I still shop at Cabelas. But l also shop at Midway and Scheels a lot more than l used too

I went to Cabelas recently because I heard they still had Swiss rifles in stock. Picked up this beauty for a decent price.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_9997.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_9999.jpg

IMG_9998.jpg

Oh, and I've had great luck with their Redhead brand wool socks. I wear a pair everyday for over a year now and they're still going strong.

Cabelas has always been wildly overpriced for the crap they sell. And the "bargain cave" is bs

I will, add on another reason not to go there, at least to the one by my house.

Went in today to get a box of ammo for a new rifle just to sight in. When I do this I always look at the gun room for left hand models. Well what do you know, a Model 70 in 375 H&H. Used for sure and needed some in letting work but decent shape and decent price of $1499 before negotiating. Ok, I'm interested.

Thing had a trigger lock on it so I ask them to remove so i could try the trigger. Nope. New rule. They promise it will go bang but wont let you try the trigger or return.

I walked out without making an offer and cant see myself buying a gun there ever again. Why if you cant even test the trigger? Heck I can test a gun from an online sale at the FFL and refuse it, but not at Cabelas???

I will, add on another reason not to go there, at least to the one by my house.

Went in today to get a box of ammo for a new rifle just to sight in. When I do this I always look at the gun room for left hand models. Well what do you know, a Model 70 in 375 H&H. Used for sure and needed some in letting work but decent shape and decent price of $1499 before negotiating. Ok, I'm interested.

Thing had a trigger lock on it so I ask them to remove so i could try the trigger. Nope. New rule. They promise it will go bang but wont let you try the trigger or return.

I walked out without making an offer and cant see myself buying a gun there ever again. Why if you cant even test the trigger? Heck I can test a gun from an online sale at the FFL and refuse it, but not at Cabelas???
I feel your pain but it's all about liability. May sound nuts but they're covering their butts in the one in a million chance you have a round in your pocket.

Yep there's so many crazies today you gotta cover your ass at all times lol. I would not buy a used gun without checking it out pretty good either!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg