AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Got the 375 H&H bug. Needed something bigger than my 300 Win Mag, so I finally decided on a Montana Rifles Company even though there were mixed reviews. I was looking at ordering one special, then they told me there was an up to 8 month lead time...Yikes at my age I could be dead by then! So I found one already set up on GB. Ordered it and just picked it up.
Don't laugh cause it's the Colorado Buck stainless steel, Cerakoted, muzzle brake, carbon/Kevlar stock with Leupold QR mounted VX-6 1-6x scope. Not the classic wood blued Safari gun. I have made 3 hunting trips to Alaska and plan to try one more time for a coastal brown bear. I took a nice little Kimber classic 308 there for black bear and got so tired of taking the gun apart to dry it out every night that the next two Kodiak trips I borrowed a 375 Sako all stainless synthetic. MUCH EASIER to just shake the water off and run a snake down the bore...you're done.

As soon as I get to the range, I'll let you know how it shoots/functions.

I too am a fan of SS./Synthetic, so I for one wont laugh! I recently purchased the Kimber Talkeetna is SS/Carbon fiber. Best of luck

Last edited:
I only buy synthetic stocks. Maybe the days of hunting places like Alaska, British Columbia, and our western states during inclement weather has been ingrained in that thought process. That and the fact I've ruined some real pretty wood in the woods and rifle scabbards

Reedy, I have, or have had 3 Kimber rifles and they all shot and functioned very well. I looked at the Talkeetna and really liked it, but couldn't find one. Then the Montana Rifles was mentioned to me by my local gun shop. It has pretty much the same Model 70 design action as the Kimber.

Yeah I love the Talkeetna, feels great, fits me well, shoots great!

Thanks Amado. If it shoots well, I'll be ready to try one more time for a brown bear.
BTW where is Friendswood? Never heard of it.

Just south of Houston, short ride from the coast. The town was founded by Quakers who, I'm told, call fellow members "friends", hence Friendswood. That's your fun fact for the day.

Ridgewalker how about a picture of your new baby!

FullSizeRender.jpg

It's comfortable in the hand. Kind of an odd "brown" as they call it, but if it shoots well, I'm good to go.
Plan to use Barnes 250 TTSX or Swift 250 A-Frame for PG and Barnes 300 TSX or again Swift 300 A-Frame for buff. Which ever shoot the best.
From what I've read here, these should do the work.

Can't wait to hear the review.

Are there mixed reviews on MRC? Yeah... But there are mixed reviews on most factory grade rifles. CZ (one of which I own) sure doesn't have a reputation of being great right out of the box, just as an example. The bolt on mine was as smooth as a file blade when I got it. Literally.

And as a lefty MRC gives me an option that few do. I will likely own one some day due to that fact alone.

Also agree on your bullet choices - whichever works best.

View attachment 159983
It's comfortable in the hand. Kind of an odd "brown" as they call it, but if it shoots well, I'm good to go.
Plan to use Barnes 250 TTSX or Swift 250 A-Frame for PG and Barnes 300 TSX or again Swift 300 A-Frame for buff. Which ever shoot the best.
From what I've read here, these should do the work.

Looking forward to your range report. Those bullet choices are perfect. If you build your own loads, H4895 worked very well for me in the 250TTSX as well as North Fork BC's. I did not try the A-Frames in that weight. In the 300gr, IMR4350 works very well for me in the TTSX, A-Frame and North Forks.

Laugh you say? There's nothing funny about that rig. It's built for serious business. Oh and it looks good too.

Thanks guys. Ive got Redding 3 die set, Lee Gage trimmer, 250 Barnes TTSX bullets on order to start along with a couple boxes each of Federal ammo-300 gr NP & 300 TBBC to start out with. I'll do MRC's barrel brake in regime 5 clean, 5 clean, etc. With each I'll sight in and check accuracy and maybe chronograph some. Unfortunately my range is over an hour from home.
While there I'll also practice some more with the 17 HMR over standing tripod while the MRC cools. I never get enough practice in field positions.

Oh and thanks Phoenix Phil for the powder info. It just so happens I have a bottle of H4895 and a bottle of IMR 4350!

Last edited:
It's beautiful. You know a synthetic stock made to look like high grade walnut would be cool. Would be the best of both worlds

cant contribute here as im a handgun hunter,so wont say anything but good luck.

Congrats! We have a Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby (started out as a 375 H&H, but that's a story in itself). It works great. I got my brown bear with it and my son got a nice black bear with it. I also have a more traditional 500 Jeffery, but will probably buy a B&C synthetic stock to switch it into for Alaska. I'm more concerned about it changing point of impact due to weather than damage to the stock. I will switch it back to the walnut stock when I return, it's just so pretty lol

"with all that water it will get on it you never know it might grow up into a bigger calibre......;)"
You're a hard man Spike.t!

Colorado, guess I could get a nice walnut stock to mess up...!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg