Don't be a dummy like me...

Barnes does not foul the barrel if you start with a clean barrel. I have a 7-08 with about 250 rounds of Barnes TTSX down the pipe and it is still a tack driver.
If I decide to use a regular bullet in it I will need to super clean it before shooting Barnes again. I also do the same thing when shooting Swift bullets but they do not seem to be effected as much. I shoot Barnes/Swift bullet in quite a number of cartridges and always clean before shooting Barnes after shooting another regular jacketed bullet.

How I super clean a barrel-- 1st Wipe-Out, 2nd follow with Sweets 7.62 or Barnes CR-10, 3rd Butches bore shine or Shooters Choice or Tetra-Gun or whatever but never #9. If I do not plan to shoot the rifle soon I do not oil the barrel.
Hit the easy button and try ThorroClean.

I’m glad you brought this back, I have a .338 that throws Barnes bullets all over the place after button holing cor-locks. I finally shot up all of my ammunition and since I haven’t been able to find any more the rifle has been relegated to the back of the safe. When I get some more ammo I’ll scrub the hell out of the barrel and see what happens.
It will be interesting to see what your rifle does. But I don’t think my issue is so much about Barnes as it is solids and back to Barnes.

@Hunt anything
Throw that little 338WM away and get a nice 35 Whelen mate. Mine doesn't care what I throw down the tube. In Namibia 5 different shooters given 2 rounds each, 5 different rounds and 2 different weights grouped 1.2 inches at 100yds for a total of 10 shots .
That kind of accuracy will do me any day.
Bob
Oh for gawd sakes! I’ve got a .338WM that shoots less that 1 MOA and also isn’t real picky about the type/brand of bullet. Each rifle is different irregardless of caliber. I can just see you now - sleeping with that 35 squealing next to you in bed! Lol!

@Hunt anything
Throw that little 338WM away and get a nice 35 Whelen mate. Mine doesn't care what I throw down the tube. In Namibia 5 different shooters given 2 rounds each, 5 different rounds and 2 different weights grouped 1.2 inches at 100yds for a total of 10 shots .
That kind of accuracy will do me any day.
Bob
I kind of fell into this puny little thing, I was in my local gun shop and they had ordered it for a guy at the beginning of the Covid outbreak. He had put 50% down and soon after he lost his job. So I got it for about $600 if I remember correctly. I did tell the shop owner I would sell it to the guy for what I paid but I guess he never showed back up. It’s a Ruger Hawkeye, I am going to get a Whelan one day and see what all the rage is!
David

I kind of fell into this puny little thing, I was in my local gun shop and they had ordered it for a guy at the beginning of the Covid outbreak. He had put 50% down and soon after he lost his job. So I got it for about $600 if I remember correctly. I did tell the shop owner I would sell it to the guy for what I paid but I guess he never showed back up. It’s a Ruger Hawkeye, I am going to get a Whelan one day and see what all the rage is!
David
@Hunt anything
I would have done the same thing if I was in the same boat. Our local gunshop had a beautiful tikka 2nd hand in 300wsm, it looked brand new snd only had a couple of boxes of factory ammo thru it. They only wanted 800 dollars for it with a 3 to 9 Leopold scope. Boy was it tempted, it was hard to leave it there but then I remembered I had the Whelen at home. Needless to say it didn't last long at that price. It sold that afternoon.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross